Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How’s it going? So, I bought my 2001 ZX3 on monday, needed a gas saver, work commute is around 40 miles each way. I did have a 2010 edge, buuuuut, water pump shaft failure. Done and over it. So now I have this little gem. It’s green, lowered (will be going back to stock, maybe svt stuff), 17” wheels (again, want stock or tasteful). Just ordered the shift cables from Ford today. 170 bucks down. Not too bad. All in all it’s a decent little ride.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Welcome to FF........btw I suppose you didn't catch the coolant leaking above the alternator 1st.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, she sits at home, waiting on the shift cables. I can adjust, get it to 2nd, 4th and reverse, but, it doesn’t last. I get maybe 2 miles in to town and lose those gears again. Shift cables are in Monday morning at 9am, but, I work graves tomorrow through Wednesday, so might not pick them up Monday morning. I just hope I can get them done correctly. I think the ones in the car have bad adjusters. I centered the shifter, pushed the adjuster in, then it comes right back out. Shifts okay, not great, just okay. Then loosens. Might be the actual spring adjusters. I’m curious about how it works. Also, if anyone’s wondering, the end adjusters can be ordered separate. Obviously I went for the whole cable, but if one fails, Ford has them available. Oh, almost forgot, my white collar for the bracket at the transmission doesn’t stay tight. It feels stripped, it’ll get tight, then when snugging it up, it let’s loose. Oh well, new cables are in soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Felixthecat, it actually didn’t. The shaft failed, went sideways at 65. That’s where the coolant came in. Lol. I loved that car, but it also didn’t suit me. We have a 2016 Camry for out of town and nice occasions, a 96 F150, Eddie Bauer, 300, 5 speed for hauling hay, and now the focus to get to and from work and maybe make a little fun to play at local auto-x and maybe, just maybe, one of our local rally races. It needs a bit of suspension attention before all that.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That’s seriously getting to me. Why is it making everywhere there’s an apostrophe with all that stuff. Ugh!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, as opposed to a new thread, figured I would ask this here. Is there any shifter assembly that offers a more positive engagement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up the new shift cables today. It’s on the back burner for this week though. The mrs is in the hospital, had a scope today, removed a gallstone, removing gallbladder tomorrow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just replaced the shift cables, I can say, it’s easier that anyone’s write up describes. But, make sure to jack up and remove the heat shield. I did it without doing that, makes it a pain to get the new ones in, ended up jacking it to get it done. Old ones came off easily, the new ones clicked in to place a little easier than I would have thought, minimal pressure required. Set it in neutral, clicked the orange tabs real quick, and it’s adjusted! Easier than I expected as well. The shifting now feels amazing, firm, positive engagement in every gear, but, I need to do the torque strut/dog bone mount, it’s a shaky under acceleration, before it was really bad, replaced the passenger front as it was literally non-existent on the rubber/fluid. The engine was just laying in the bay.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now the next step is to trade the 17’s that are on it for some 6 spoke stock 16’s, then some svt goodness. I’m thinking the suspension package. Too old to drive a slammed car, but still want the fun drive. This thing is wayyyyy to low!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I recently put on the SVT suspension package on my ZX3, makes on heck of a difference. New shocks, struts, springs and rear sway bar. Bought the Energy Suspension bushings for the bar and the end links, also the replacement bushings for the lower dog bone. That made the most difference in my shifts feeling much more solid. Best of luck. Any questions on the suspension work just holler.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now the next step is to trade the 17’s that are on it for some 6 spoke stock 16’s, then some svt goodness. I’m thinking the suspension package. Too old to drive a slammed car, but still want the fun drive. This thing is wayyyyy to low!

Where are you located? By the end of next week I may have a complete set of 16s available.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where are you located? By the end of next week I may have a complete set of 16s available.

Sorry, I just saw this, I have it in another post, I bought tires the other day, so the only thing I could trade for is a clean set with newer tires but smaller, or an svt wheel. (I know they are more valuable than mine, so willing to accept a 75% tread tire on them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, I just saw this, I have it in another post, I bought tires the other day, so the only thing I could trade for is a clean set with newer tires but smaller, or an svt wheel. (I know they are more valuable than mine, so willing to accept a 75% tread tire on them.

No problem. I'm not itching to do anything with my 16s, but had some interest if I could swap them for 17s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts