Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Name is Andrew, just purchased a 2008 Focus SE Sedan Saturday from a friend. Anyone who has been around the Taurus Club or FIN or GMI might recognize my name. Born and raised into a Ford family and have been driving Ford products all along. I was recently driving an 04 Lincoln LS but sadly that came to an end 2 weeks ago when I was in an accident and the insurance company totaled her. Timing was on my side since a friend of mine just moved to the Tampa Bay area and she needed to sell her car since she was getting a company car.

Enter this white 2008 Focus SE Sedan. Now granted compared to my previous vehicles this is quite pedestrian and nowhere near as quick as the others and the smallest but this little Focus trumps them all on fuel economy. This is mostly going to be an interim car for me since I was planning on buying a new car at the end of next year. But in the mean time I figured I would stop in and get as much info as I could on this car. I find the packaging extremely weird. It’s an SE has a sunroof and heated side view mirrors and actual wheels but no cruise control?!? How hard would it be to add that? Also I noticed when I get to intersections and stop the car kind of shakes feels like it’s going to stall and I can see the tach bouncing between 500 and 1000 RPMs. Any idea what that is? Anyway been around the Ford Taurus clubs and the Lincoln LS clubs and guys from both groups were awesome and full of knowledge and I hope to find the same here! Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Welcome. The idle problem might be from a dirty MAF. Mine does this every once a long time, and hasn't been bad enough for me to address that problem.

As far as cruise control, it can be added as I saw a thread in the past about someone adding this feature to his non-cruise control equipped car. You'll have to search for that thread.

You WILL need motor mounts at some point in time, probably by about 60k miles the original one will be shot. If you can feel vibrations through the steering wheel at idle, or the hood starts rattling, its time to replace. In my experience, you should replace just the passenger side first as that seems to be the one that goes bad. Other than that the car will be rock solid reliable.

·
Registered
378 Posts
First off, welcome to FF!

You can buy a cruise control steering wheel from a salvage yard, install it and have a dealership toggle cruise from off to on with their scanner. Here is a link.

As for the vibration, probably the passenger side engine mount. Here is a thread where we have been discussing vibration issues. If you find the PSM is bad, go ahead and replace the lower dogbone mount too. You wont be disapointed... and another thread about vibrations.

Other things you may want to do depending on the mileage of your car: Spark Plugs, Air Cleaner, Fuel Filter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the valuable information! I will definitely be taking it to my local mechanic to have him check out the mounts then. The car has 96k miles on it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Coolant flush is also due at 100k miles if you plan to keep the car for a while. I also did brake and power steering flush at 100k as well. I'm now at ~170k miles and no repairs outside of the motor mounts, a valve cover gasket and ignition switch.

I do tranny fluid and fuel filter every 30k miles, air filter whenever its dirty.

I think the US mk2 focus is probably the most reliable of all generations of focus so far.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Woot another Mk2 guy! Welcome to FF. I agree with everyone above. If you're getting a lot of vibration it's the passenger mount. Both of my 2009's (55k) and a 2005 (90k) I got for my sister all have needed new passenger mounts. Definitely check the serpentine belt tensioner as well and make sure it still rotates freely. That's another thing that goes on these.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I used to be on the Taurus Club as well. I had the super rusty 2001 Taurus haha. Havent been in 4 years though.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I bet that car cost the original owner more in upgrades on the se trim then it would of been to get an SEL with cruise control.

Very sharp car, white looks very good on these cars. I would have to agree, it's easy one of the most reliable cars I've ever heard of, there pretty solid cars.

If your doing motor mounts and want a better feel you can do a poly mount, the down side would be some vibrations, but I just replaced my worn out motor mount with a VF Engineering mount and the vibrations dramatically decreased. It makes the car feel a little better, but maybe costly for a tight budget.

Also your in Florida so feel free to join Florida Focus on Facebook, we do have state wide meets.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Nice start for sure. Love the color. This is mine. Feel free to yank ideas. I will have this bumper and grill for sale soon. Got in a wreck and getting new stuff. Bumper will need to repainted and all but its structurally sound. The grill has a slight crack that is barely noticeable.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the posts guys! Love the pic 2010SVT!

Random question...

Is there no way to open the trunk lid from inside the car unless from the remote? I can't seem to find a trunk release anywhere!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Only some of the mkII's had an inside release button, IIRC you'd find it on the driver's side kick panel for them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another question... trying to figure out this car.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/08focog1e.pdf

^^ Been following that since this car doesn't have a manual with it.

From what I understand there is a Phone and Text button but those are usless unless you have Sync right? I press Text and it does nothing and I press phone and all it says is "No Phone"

Is there anyway to display the outside temperature as well? I can't find a function for that but I can see the digital readout when the sun hits the little display just right.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It won't be able to read out a temperature. 2008 problems lol, sorry the 09 started getting a few more things, then the 2010 got even more.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Another question... trying to figure out this car.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_Content/catalog/owner_guides/08focog1e.pdf

^^ Been following that since this car doesn't have a manual with it.

From what I understand there is a Phone and Text button but those are usless unless you have Sync right? I press Text and it does nothing and I press phone and all it says is "No Phone"

Is there anyway to display the outside temperature as well? I can't find a function for that but I can see the digital readout when the sun hits the little display just right.
Hi Andrew L,

You may not have SYNC if you're getting the "No Phone" message. Shoot me your VIN in a private message and I'll take a look.

Rebecca

1 - 19 of 19 Posts