Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got this 5-door SVT Focus....I'd really like to get a rally car kind of look on a budget.

I'd like to have that exhaust "popping" sound that you get on these.

My question being, how can I get from stock to that kind of sound? I'm also thinking about putting in a cool air intake.

I'd very much appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, and knowledge anybody has to offer. [like]

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
that popping on the rally car is from the anti-lag installed on their turbos.

basically its adding fuel after the engine but before the turbo where it ignites and keeps the turbo spinning at full boost and spits fire. really hard on them though.

so, probably not gonna get that on your car, but if you get and ORP to replace your cat, it would make the little pop pop pop that the car already makes on coasting a little louder.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that popping on the rally car is from the anti-lag installed on their turbos.

basically its adding fuel after the engine but before the turbo where it ignites and keeps the turbo spinning at full boost and spits fire. really hard on them though.

so, probably not gonna get that on your car, but if you get and ORP to replace your cat, it would make the little pop pop pop that the car already makes on coasting a little louder.
I figured that a lot of that came from the turbo rigs they've got in those cars...Sadly, I don't have the money for even a basic $4,000 turbo kit...although it'd be nice. I figure if I ever want a Turbo Focus I'll just get an ST.

Could I get some links to look at on what you're talking about though? I thought somewhere I had read that ORP's weren't street legal.

·
FF Affiliate
31,089 Posts
It depends on your state and how they inspect

Stick with the stock intake and do a drop in filter , add a tune , a tune will prove to be your best mod , also do a TB , then if you can get by with it add a HFC or ORP

Tom

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Borla exhausts also provide a lot of pop on downshift and even on up shifts sometimes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would have to measure what my zx5 has on it but go to an exhaust shop and ask for the cheapest straight through exhaust you can get with out resonators or mufflers. That should do the trick. It did to my car, not being what i wanted but its not as loud in the car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas guys!

I have another question:

If I buy a new exhaust system, will installation require cutting up the stock pipes? I had seen something like that in a DIY installation guide. I don't plan on doing it myself. I'll have a mechanic do it...but will I still have the stock exhaust parts in usable condition?

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys!

I have another question:

If I buy a new exhaust system, will installation require cutting up the stock pipes? I had seen something like that in a DIY installation guide. I don't plan on doing it myself. I'll have a mechanic do it...but will I still have the stock exhaust parts in usable condition?

The stock setup simply unbolts and you bolt on the new one. Takes a socket set, jack + stand, and about 20 minutes.

Some alternative options, if you don't want to spend a bunch of cash:

1. get a high-flow air filter instead of a cold-air. difference is like 1hp, but its so much cheaper. (~$45)

2. have a shop delete the lunchbox (muffler right before the end of the exhaust), it will sound a bit louder and more aggressive. (~$45)

I'd follow that up with some decent springs (H&R Race maybe) and maybe some mudflaps if you want that rally look.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd follow that up with some decent springs (H&R Race maybe) and maybe some mudflaps if you want that rally look.
I was definitely thinking about putting on mudflaps. I found some OEM ones through this forum on Village Ford.

I'm still sort of on the fence about exhaust systems so far. I should get the car back from the shop tomorrow evening...so I'll drive it stock for a little bit and I'll go from there.

This definitely helps as a starting point though!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Just to add, I'd check to see how longs its been since your timing belt was changed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Oh yeah, not to be forgotten.

Exh. will need to be cut to come off, if it's cut in a straight spot you could sleeve it together again. (Goes over rear suspension, easiest way to remove)

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
^^^ Oh yeah, not to be forgotten.

Exh. will need to be cut to come off, if it's cut in a straight spot you could sleeve it together again. (Goes over rear suspension, easiest way to remove)
yup needs to be cut.

it was cheaper for Ford to install the exhaust and then the rear subrame during manufacture of the car, hence why it needs to be cut out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts