Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well I'm new to the forum (as far as posting goes... been reading here for about a year, ever since i got my '03 CD Silver SVT [:D] ). Car is completely stock right now, but i've been tossin around the idea of putting a new intake in for a while and reading a bunch of the experiences and ?'s everyone here has posted.

On to the purpose of this post: A buddy of mine is also looking at putting in an Intake (we're both looking at cold air) on his '94 Celica GT, which will need to be home-grown since as far as he can tell, noone makes intakes for his car (no surprise). Anyway, he recently contacted a friend of his Dad's who has been doing automotive and machine shop work for many years, just to run his idea past him and see what he thought. Basically, the guy told him that any little bit of water that possibly got into the intake and through the throttle body into the cylinders because the filter was down low enough to allow road spray and/or small puddles (less than 1.5" deep, nothing much bigger around here) could cause rusting on the cylinder walls overnight.Very bad thing, obviously. I was considering doing the same thing (homegrown kit, if possible), and was surprised to hear that from this guy, given what i've seen of the popular AEM CAI's and other kits that put the filter down low near the drivers side wheel. As far as I can tell, the only thing that's keeping water from getting into the intake on the AEM CAI is the filter, correct? I know several people have made their own splash guards from plexiglass or bought them premade, but for those that use just the AEM kit with no extras, its just the filter and thats it, possibly a bypass valve. I've read many posts about concerns with hydrolocking, and it seems that everybody has come to the conclusion that without completely submerging the filter in a puddle, simple road spray and driving through a few small shallow puddles isn't going to cause any problems with the AEM kit. Does this guy have any idea what he's talking about, or is there something i'm missing that is special about the AEM kit that prevents water that gets through the filter into the intake from making it up to the throttle body/into the engine?

To put it very simply: If i were to make my own intake, using the AEM or other kits as an outline/guidline, that consisted simply of piping that ran from the throttle body down to the driver's side wheel using the same path that the AEM uses to get down there, then terminated it with a good K&N filter and supported it as best i could to protect against engine torque stress, do i really need to worry about small amounts of water getting into my cylinders and rusting?

Thanks for your help everyone, hopefully I can make some dough and have all kinds of other questions when i start putting more stuff on my baby[;)]

·
Registered
505 Posts
I did a home grown, Its not the aem rounting but, I relocated the battery back by the fire wall and ran the tubing in front of the head light. I noticed a difference then the first "average" wai.

·
Premium Member
6,581 Posts
Your cylinder walls aren't going to rust with the small amount of water that might get into your engine. You will have to try to avoid deep water because hydrolocking is a possibility when fully submerged.

Small amounts of water is in fact good for your engine. It will clean the cylinder walls and top of the pistons from burnt oil deposits. What do you think happens when there's 90% humidity in the air? Or you drive through thick fog?

If you're truly concerned that too much water might have entered your engine, but not enough to cause hydrolock-type damage, just leave the car running for an extra minute or two before you shut it off.

Also, check out the Strictly Focused forum: http://focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=68 We have a couple members that live right in your area. [:D]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@all:
Thanks for your input/insight/advice, it's much appreciated [:D]

So now, I've decided to forego the Cold Air idea and simply do a home-grown short ram intake -- mainly because i don't really feel up to the challenge of getting pipe bent to snake down through the engine bay to the ground. I've got a nice big K&N filter on the way, so i've just got a few loose ends to tie up with my design. Mainly, since the old airbox is gonna be coming out to make room for the new filter, i've got this crankcase ventilation hose that's going to be hanging off my engine, with nowhere to plug it into since there won't be a port for it on my new intake. Any suggestions as to the best solution for that? My plan right now is just to get a hold of one of K&N's crankcase vent filters and either attach it to the end of the hose that used to be connected to the airbox, or stick it straight onto the crankcase vent port on the valve cover... the second of which would require me to leave the ignition assembly cover off, otherwise the new filter sticking off the valve covers wouldn't fit. However, if there's some other easy solution anybody knows of that won't result in my spending another $17-20 on a puny little crankcase vent filter, lemme know (i know, small size doesn't mean its cheap, but come on!).

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I just put the aem CAI on my car yesterday....and man is it awesome the sound is friggin sweet and the gains seem pretty good too....don't skimp by doin the homemade thing...they never work as well as the ones that have been r&d's by a company spending tons of money on it.....do what i did if you are concerned about the price...find somebody that's selling one used just put a new filter on it along with the bypass valve....total price for my aem is about 140 bucks :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
focusedintentions said:
I just put the aem CAI on my car yesterday....and man is it awesome the sound is friggin sweet and the gains seem pretty good too....don't skimp by doin the homemade thing...they never work as well as the ones that have been r&d's by a company spending tons of money on it.....do what i did if you are concerned about the price...find somebody that's selling one used just put a new filter on it along with the bypass valve....total price for my aem is about 140 bucks :)
I beg to differ with this, I spent half of that and mine sounds and performs just as well as a pre-fabbed intake.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any suggestions on the crankcase breather tube/filter issue?

At this point i'll probably just slap a k&n crankcase vent filter on the end of the breather hose and be done with it, but if anybody else has a suggestion, i'm all ears

and again, thanks for everyones input [thumb]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts