Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,new guy here from philly..I've been street/drag racing for a few years now.My beloved daily driven moneypit,my 01 mustang gt threw a rod..or 2 after 3years of constant abuse.It has broken down more times than I can count.So last month I sold after I was left stranded once again.Now I was looking around for something a little more practical,but quick & fun to drive.So I stumbled upon a 04 comp orange svt with the euro package at a local car lot.I was almost immediately obsessedwith the thing.I went to go take it for a roadtest but it was sold.So now that I've been reading & researching endlessly about focus's I on the hunt for an svt.I want one bad lol.As I said I've been drag racing forever & I'm a little bored with it stuff always breakin etc etc.ok long story short,what should I look for when buying an svt?.Alot in my area are anywhere from 75,000 to 130,000 mile cars.Is high mileage a problem with them???

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Welcome to the forum [welcome] [ffrocks] [loveff]

The SVT is not a good drag racing car. 1st and 2nd are too tall but once you get going it's a cruise missile due to the other gears being so close. My other focus can eat my SVT up from a dead stop and through the 1/4mi but after that the SVT will start leaving it.

If your really into drag racing you may want to consider a 05-07 Focus ST instead. They come with the 2.3 duratec and have a ton more tq and they respond great to mods in n/a form. Plus they have the MTX-75 (5-speed) which is geared better for drag racing. The SVT is pretty much maxed out from the factory. If you want any more power out of it you need to go forced induction. You can smooth the power delivery of the SVT though with a couple of choice bolt on's and a tune. But it will never be a good drag racer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sorry if i wasnt clear,im done drag racing and want to try something differant as in autocross/rallys.I want a fun daily driver that handles great.Ive had 7 mustangs in a row,and all where setup for drag racing,it gets kinda old.My mistake last time was i was daily driving my "racecar" lol.I know going from a low 12second stang to a 170hp svt is a big change.I dont wanna drag it lol.I want a cool fun daily that i can try my skills at autocrossing.Ive watched countless videos and i really want to do it.Ive always loved street racing but its very expensive & ilegal ��.Im more of aroadcourse kinda guy

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF!

SVT is a great pkg. straight from the Factory, I figure it as "future classic" myself. With maint. it can keep going indefinitely, Lack of replacing the timing belt can kill one quick as valves get bent when the belt strips/breaks. (Is every 100,000 such an issue???)

As Sleepy implied, if you're going to make a lot of changes anyways, the 2.3 models start out with similar power to the SVT - less ponies but a lot of torque so they're real close stock. Once you change suspension/wheels the handling's there & brake changes are the only remaining difference.

Gives you an option you might not think of if a nice SVT doesn't cross your path.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool im not gonna change too much,first thing i will do is make sure its running perfectly. Then see how it performs from there,as with my stangs i always started with the suspension.I like that to be sorted ou first.Ill most likely get a 2nd set of wheels/tires to swap for track days.Its weird ive been in the mustang circle of friends for soo long its kinda refreshing to start fresh.Iv always liked focus's i almost bought a wagon a few years ago.Im holding ou and am waiting till the perfect (for me) svt goesup for sale.I want that comp orange or that blue color they come in.Anyway when i get it ill be on here alot lol.Ive been reading the forums here for a while & finally decided to join.

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
My piece of advice: get a skid plate! I once took my ZX3 off-road and I guess some rocks got smashed into the transmission and my 1st gear has been a little troubling ever since. Could be different on the SVT but better safe than sorry.

oh and [welcome] to FF!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol i dont think i need a skidplate for some parking lot autox ctfu

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Rally-X folks need to think of that, Auto-X is safe!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts