Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

'07 ST with the 6-disc in dash changer, 4 components (1 in each door), all stock.

I have a bunch of questions about the stock system. Does the stock 6-disc have necessary outputs for an amp? I have a head unit, but not in the car yet and I'd like to keep the 6-disc/mp3 capability. Are the 4 door speakers easilly accessible and can they be taken out/replaced easily? Also, has anyone ever mounted a sub in or below the rear deck as opposed to having a box in the trunk?

Thanks, I'm sure there'll be more questions as the thread goes on.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
No, the stock readio does not have provisions for an aftermarket amp

do you have a factory sub?

the way around that, is by using a line output converter

if you have a factory sub, you can disconnect that, and tap the line output converter onto it. once you do that, then you will have rca preouts coming off the subwoofer line, therefore, if your factory sub is controlable from your factory radio

if you dont have a factory sub, you can still use a line output converter, but you will have no control over how much bass the sub puts out.. it will get annoying pretty quick

as for the speakers, you will have to remove the door panels, depending on your level of handywork, its easy. the focus has some of the easiest door panels to remove.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Im not totally sure but you might need some sort of adapter to run an aftermarket amp w/ a stock deck, but dont quote me on it. And yes the speakers are pretty accessible. Pop off the door panels and wallah. Ive got an 03 and it takes me like 5 mins to pop off my door panel. Im sure the newer foci are just as easy. Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt - no factory sub, was thinking of just an 8" from Rockford or something decent like that.

I saw there are just a few screws around the outside of the door panel, I can get this off easily. The issue that I forsee is possibly an inner grille on the speakers? I can see through the grille that is on the door panel itself, and I can't see the speaker, I can just see another speaker grille. I'll post a pic to show what I'm talking about.

Look closely at the picture, you can see the exterior grille that says "Focus" on it, and then inside I see another grille.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the inside one hard to remove? I haven't popped the door panel off yet, don't have the tools with me at the moment.

Has anyone had any luck mounting an 8" sub in the rear deck?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Nope not hard to remove, just a few screws and it will come off, they arent phillips or flatehead screws either. But its a peice of cake after the door panel comes off.

·
Registered
936 Posts
For your sub in rear deck question, to function properly, a subwoofer needs to be in an enclosure to create the deep bass ... not putting it in a box, and basically, its just another speaker.

·
Banned
263 Posts
^^^ unless you get a free air designed subwoofer like some kickers are. then it would use the trunk as a box

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well a subwoofer is a far cry from just another speaker wherever it is mounted, but I understand what you're saying.

How large of a box typically for an 8" sub?

·
Banned
263 Posts
.25CF-.50cf typically but can vary widely

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright, that would be a sealed box, right?

What kind of amp would you be looking at for a single 4-ohm 8" sub? I'm trying to gauge what kind of money would go into a project like this...

Also, I'm a pretty smart guy, but I haven't dabbled much in car audio. What is the purpose of the line output converter? Does it control what frequencies go to which speakers or am I way off base with that?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts