Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, Just picked up a 2002 SVT for only $1300!! Super stoked! 93K miles on the clock, I'm going to have lots of questions.

[wrenchin] [8D]

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
dang, stole that thing by appearances.

Welcome!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, i think i might have :)

So i just inspected the timing belt as i don't know when or if it was last done, im hoping to make it till spring as i would try to do it my self. I have done a T-belt on a VW passat 1.8t so i think i can to this, it just seems a lot tighter and then you need that pin tool. I posted here about my belt:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7770162&postcount=229

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It LOOKS decent in the picture, but at 93k if it hasn't been done you're on borrowed time.

Remember that if it goes or skips time you've got MAJOR engine work to do at best with bent valves. (SVT problem - interference setup)

WAY to many have been bought when that was due & the prev. owner sold to avoid paying the price - and broke B4 the new owner realized the possible problem.

Most that go strip teeth on the belt rather than break, and the outer appearance tells little about the interior wear from age/mileage.

If it wasn't an SVT, there wouldn't be any worry about waiting. On them it's SO critical the recommendation here is to do it at 80,000 for peace of mind since not all reach the scheduled mileage - age gets them first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im going to find out today what it will cost, if its not too bad ill have it done, if its going to cost a lot ill wait till its warm out and do it my self.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im going to find out today what it will cost, if its not too bad ill have it done, if its going to cost a lot ill wait till its warm out and do it my self.
So for tells me it will take 10hrs to do the job! LOL!!!! They wanted $1750!!! I talked to my local guy he said, $425 for the labor if i get the parts.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i have my regular dude who needs the work anyway, he told me $425 labor to do the belt and water pump, ill supply the parts. Sounds fair.

·
Dat boxer rumble
3,451 Posts
Yeah, i have my regular dude who needs the work anyway, he told me $425 labor to do the belt and water pump, ill supply the parts. Sounds fair.
Thats a fair price for sure.

Sounds fair. Recommend tascaparts.com. Ask for Steve.
Seconded, Steve is an awesome dude.

Alternatively, you can check out http://www.c-f-m.com, they have fantastic service, I've ordered from them many times.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Looking good. Wish I could find a deal like that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So last night before the snow started i did the rear wheel bearings, I replaced the resistor so the heat would work at all speeds. I totally cleaned her, de-funked. The PO was gross, nasty stuff in the car. Oh i also put a new radio in it. And not seen in the picture but the car had these hideous stickers and stuff on the windows, they went instantly.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Awesome, price,,,, Enjoy the svt,,, welcome to FF, btw. Sounds like your on track of the t/b, wp.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do i find and contact "Steve" I need to get these parts, i have been looking on rock auto also but it seems the SVT might have a different part number on on the tensioners.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got all my parts sorted and on the way, i even got he tool to let my mechanic use. But after reading all the horror stories about snapped belts at 70K 90K im at 93K on the original belt and im scared to even drive this thing to his shop.. I would lose my shit if the belt snapped on the way there. scary.. Ill just keep the car under 3K RPM and get to 6th gear as fast as i can driving to the shop. Im also going to replace the thermostat housing and the temp sender, i have a leak there.

On order are:
Belt Tensioner
Drive belt
Thermostat Housing
Water Pump
Timing Belt Component Kit
Idler Pulley
Temperature Sender
Valve Cover Gasket
timing tool

1 - 20 of 38 Posts