Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cayying over the thread from the old boards. Read alot about bad mileage but got 35.5 mpg on my first tank.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Data points: ZX3 PZEV 5-speed, first tank was 27.4 mpg and second was 28.6 mpg. I am not taking it real easy during break-in, just staying between 2K and 4K rpm. My daily commute is about 50 miles round-trip on a combination of city stop-n-go, quiet secondary roads, and some Interstate. Minimal A/C usage. From what I've seen so far, you'd have to drive this thing like the Dukes of Hazzard to drop into the low 20's. Or sit around forever in stop-n-go traffic. Fuel economy depends enormously on where you live and how you drive. Where I live isn't flat like Kansas nor is it mountainous like Colorado, but it is hilly. And I am a smooth driver but definitely not pokey.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fwiw my commute is 35 miles each way 34 of which is a no traffic highway. steady 65 mph never ever ever use air (heat and humidity lover)

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I'm getting around 30-32 combined. It varies on my driving characteristics Regular driving, about 32mpg. Back roads fun and autox, then it drops to 28-29.

But most of my driving is highway.

·
Registered
405 Posts
had the car since july 20th, it reads 8900 miles now. I get about 26-29 mpg, depending on a/c, traffic, heavy foot. I can pretty much control how much I get per gallon by the way I drive and how I use the a/c more conservativley. The worst I have gotten so far was in the 25-26 range.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I leave for work early. No traffic on the way, no a/c. usually catch 2-4 stoplights. On the way home its stop and go traffic, a/c on, 30 miles round trip. If Im really careful I get 27.7 mpg. If I drive like the devil is close behind I get 25 mpg. I fill up about every 11-12 days.

For about a gallon of gas difference every 11-12 days, about $1.50, I can drive hard and have fun. A small price to pay in my view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Seems to be a wide disparity of numbers being thrown around. I can't imagine getting over 30 mpg. I have an automatic SE with about 500 miles and I have gotten 20 mpg on both tankfuls so far. I drive a little faster than average and use the air 1/4 of the time in mostly city driving. I am extremely disappointed in the mileage, however I'm blown away by the speed of the car. The problem is a bought the car to save money on gas not to race. Anyone in Cal. interested in starting a petition to protest the bad mileage? I think Ford overstated the mileage acheivable with California gas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Something to do with MTBE and oxygenation. I don't know much about it but from reading this board and other focus boards the MTBE and oxygenation seem to be a factor with people in Cali getting poor mileage on the PZEV's.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
gokings55 said:
Seems to be a wide disparity of numbers being thrown around. I can't imagine getting over 30 mpg. I have an automatic SE with about 500 miles and I have gotten 20 mpg on both tankfuls so far. I drive a little faster than average and use the air 1/4 of the time in mostly city driving. I am extremely disappointed in the mileage, however I'm blown away by the speed of the car. The problem is a bought the car to save money on gas not to race. Anyone in Cal. interested in starting a petition to protest the bad mileage? I think Ford overstated the mileage acheivable with California gas.

A *petition* ?? You've got to be kidding.

So what exactly does Ford state for mileage on your PZEV SE? I just took a quick look around the 'Net for hard data but I struck out. So.... I know my PZEV ZX3 with 5-speed is rated 25/33. I believe the automatic transmission in your car would drop this, I am guessing to the ballpark of 24/32. Okay, now. let's run with that. You are getting 20 when you should be getting 24. Let's think about this for a moment. Your car only has 500 miles - it is NOT BROKEN IN YET. After break-in, expect to see an improvement which is in the ballpark of 5%, so you can expect 21. Next - you drive "a little faster than average". Well, depending on HOW MUCH FASTER, maybe another 5-10%. We're getting up towards 22-23MPG now. Thirdly, the EPA test cycle does not run the A/C. You run it about 1/4 of the time. Another point, maybe. We are now at about 23-24MPG. Hmmm.... let's see. Your car is (probably) rated at 24mpg city, and if you drove it like they did when they measured that published rating, you would be seeing 23-24MPG. Okay, now, what are you complaining about again?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look, the focus, in particular the sedan is marketed as an economy car. I realize my mileage to date may not be a reiable indication of what to expect, but that being said, I feel I have a good feel for what to expect from the car. I will be lucky to average 20 mpg driving here in L.A. That will be my average between driving in traffic and driving late at night with no traffic. That is not acceptable to me for a little car such as the focus. True the performance is worth it to some. The drive of the car is growing on me but for goodness sakes, this car gets almost the same mileage as my frickin SUV. And to top it off Ford gets a PZEV rating for the car because it emits very little emissions but sucks down the gas like a guzzler, I find that ironic to say the least. I know I'm not alone on my sentiments regarding the mileage on the PZEV. I can undersand some people getting over 30 mpg's thinking "this idiot must drive like a retard to get less than 20 mpgs" but trust me I don't and frankly I have a very hard time believing anyone can average 30 mpgs over the long run in a PZEV.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
gokings55 said:
...and frankly I have a very hard time believing anyone can average 30 mpgs over the long run in a PZEV.
From my spreadsheet:
Date..........Miles.......Gallons.....MPG.........Cumuative MPG
07/09/03..339.90....10.721......31.70.......31.70
07/18/03..263.10....8.626........30.50.......31.10
07/20/03..548.20....18.332......29.90.......30.70
08/01/03..310.00....10.854......28.56.......30.17
08/08/03..180.60....6.377........28.32.......29.80
08/10/03..271.80....8.210........33.11.......30.35
08/24/03..409.40....13.589......30.13.......30.32
EDIT: dots to help alignment

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
Most of you probably just drive your own car, my wife and I trade off all the time...Her 31-33mpg me 24-26 mpg, same car, same mods same engine and same synthetic oil...the dif...driving habits nothing else..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update...just filled up for the second time. 33.5 mpg did quite a few short fully loaded trips this time and let my wife drive (she's the one with the heavy foot)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
gokings55 said:
Look, the focus, in particular the sedan is marketed as an economy car... I will be lucky to average 20 mpg driving here in L.A... That is not acceptable to me for a little car such as the focus... The drive of the car is growing on me but for goodness sakes, this car gets almost the same mileage as my frickin SUV... I can undersand some people getting over 30 mpg's thinking "this idiot must drive like a retard to get less than 20 mpgs" but trust me I don't and frankly I have a very hard time believing anyone can average 30 mpgs over the long run in a PZEV.
Hi, gokings55:

Personally, I am trying to bring some rationality to this discussion. Facts and data.

First of all: my car is different from yours (I drive a ZX3 5-spd PZEV) and at the moment I do not know exactly what your car's fuel economy ratings are. Please provide this info. It is right on the window sticker in huge numerals. I have guessed it is about 24, let's hear the real number.

Second of all: what kind of SUV do you drive? Do you drive it on essentially the same roads, same time of day, same traffic, as the Focus? And exactly what is your fuel economy on the SUV? You are measuring this by recording the number of miles between fillups and dividing by the number of gallons used, riiiiigghhhhhtttt? Do you pump your own gas? (if not, be aware that different gas station attendants may shut off the pump at different times and screw up your readings).

Thirdly: the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Cycle, which is where your "city" fuel economy rating comes from, is 11.04 miles long and completes in 31 minutes and 14 seconds for an average speed of 21.2 mph. 19.1% of the time (5 min 57 sec) the car is running at idle. If you are driving in stop-and-go conditions and your overall average trip speed (total distance divided by total time) is significantly greater than 21mph, that means harder accelerations and correspondingly worse fuel economy. Or, if you are in stop-and-go conditions and spend significantly more than 20% of the time idling, that too will mean worse fuel economy... versus the rating on the window sticker, that is.

And finally: I drive in mixed conditions, very roughly 20% city, 20% highway, and the remaining 60% mostly secondary type roads at 45-60mph, sometimes in 4th gear rather than 5th, and I got 27.4 on Tank #1 and 28.6 on Tank #2. I am just over 1000 miles now and will fill up again in the next day or so to get a third data point but I expect around 29.0. That's not the 30mpg that you refuse to believe is possible but it is darn close. A larger percentage of highway driving (assuming it is moving smoothly) would easily push me to 30.

I guess in summary I am starting to form the opinion that LA traffic is screwing you, not the Focus or the Ford Motor Company. That whole petition thing you mentioned had overtones of a Gen-X whiner who doesn't want to take personal responsibility and doesn't want to be confused with the facts. Please tell me this isn't you.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts