Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Actually I got my Focus in January 2013 and have been lurking ever since. I probably was looking for some Focus-specific problem and landed on the focusfanatics site, which had the answer. So far I've found that there's almost never a need to ask anything because it's already been answered.
Overall I'm pleased to be driving this 2002 ZX3 with a Zetec motor and 4 speed automatic. I was shocked at how much power it has compared to my previous car, a 1986 Dodge Aries with a 2.5L 4 cylinder. I managed to get that car to survive for 27 years but good riddance to it now! But it just goes to prove that while engine size might matter some, it's not the whole story by any means.
-Littlejohn

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Keeping the Aries together for that long is an accomplishment, could be a real "Flintstones" type at that age.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean a dinosaur, you're right. It was getting hard to get parts for it, and the salvage yards have already sold most of those K-cars for scrap.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
I was actually thinking of so much rust you could pedal it along by foot as they did in the Cartoon...

Hadn't looked up Oxford's location to see if you were in the REAL rust belt.

That was the larger version of the 2.2? Had one of those in a Tourismo from '85.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh... It didn't have a lot of rust yet, since it spent much of its life in Fort Worth, Texas and they do not salt there. Oxford is definitely in the rust belt. Nasty, nasty stuff they put on the road to melt the ice. Magnesium chloride is probably the worst. But they use a lot of salt brine too. Probably the same where you live?
The car started out with a 2.2L engine and when it wore out, the one that I could find that was in good condition was a 2.5. It looked almost identical and all the old equipment fit on it. Funny, I didn't notice any improvement in performance in the 2.5 over the 2.2.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pre-treating the roads with brine is relatively new here, saw it used a lot out your way before they started it here. They like mixing some brine with the rock salt, and that magnesium chloride is def. the worst for the purpose.

Rock salt is great stuff, nice sandblast effect before it dissolves and starts the next step. I've even had side windows scratched from the rocks in the window rubbers in the past.

Had to look up Oxford, west of Lafayette keeps you in the "north". Familiar sounding, might have been through in my Trucking adventures.

2.2 was OK in a lighter car, as I remember everything was a bit slower then than now. The twin cam zetec is a step up for sure, in spite of some PITA plastic cooling system pieces they last a lot of miles - plenty at 200 & I've seen 400,000 reported.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts