Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.. I just purchased my first svtf yesterday! I used to own a 94 ford probe and i was active on the perforamce probe forums, and into tuning and modding my probe. My new car is a Silver 2003 Focus SVT, i've been wanting to pick one up for quite some time now. It has the premium sound system and a sunroof.. and uh a lot of other options.. Anyway i just wanted to say hello to everyone and I can't wait to learn about this car. Any advice on what I should do to a stock svtf first? I'm pretty much broke at this point.. Have a good Day!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on getting the Steeda STS when funds were good. How do i go about the tune, and what does something like that run?

·
Registered
457 Posts
if you want a better short throw shifter go with the cfm setup...it has a shorter throw, and if you decide you dont like it that low, you can adjust it!

the steeda shifter is the same as the ford racing one...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome, I too had a Probe GT before the SVTF. The first thing I would do would be a tune from Tom. That's all you hear about on these Forums, so It must be good. LOL.

·
Hiyadoin'
1,640 Posts
first thing is learn how to drive it stock... it really does not need much.

the VF rear motor mount works well, a 22mm rear sway bar works well with the stock front. other than that have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Since you say you're broke right now, I'd say start small. I'd go with the rear motor mount (or rear dogbone mount as you'll hear it called) and a short throw shifter. Opinions will vary on the shifter, but there's some good info here from people who have the different versions and you can make your decision from their reviews.

The other thing I'd suggest is removing the shifter counterweight. There's a write up here if you search for it, and it will cost you nothing to do.

These three to start with will make your shifting feel smoother and more precise, and it will really "wake up" the driving experience for you. After that, the modding bug will begin to hit you and you'll start making lists and scouring this forum for all kinds of information. Don't worry when it happens. It's happened to all of us.[thumb]

Oh, and welcome! [welcome]

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
You want your tune from Tom (1turbofocus). I believe he asks just below $400 shipped for the svtf, but dont qoute me on that.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I love it. This is the 1st thread I think I have ever seen that didn't say "you need exhaust, intake, cams, and a tune. Id say everyone is right. Short throw is a great upgrade, just installed mine and I wish I had done it sooner. Motor mount, another good one. You will notice your engine move when shifting hard. And the tune, why not. Id also look into the spark plugs, most case they've never been changed. Depending on your mileage, replacing the belt might also be good. Last but not least from me, check to make sure you're using a good oil. I had a shop I went to for 2 years, and the whole time they were using an unrecommended weight. After swithcing I noticed a great differance. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, I'm gonna look into a lot of this stuff, thanks a lot guys!

·
Registered
526 Posts
My advice, leave it stock for a bit, the factory actually did a good job of modding the SVTF. In the meantime learn all you can about the SVTF so you can make educated decisions.
Congratulations and welcome.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Too bad you're broke, I'd recommend the tune first and foremost.

The tune will give you a lot better responsiveness from your engine, much better power all around and better mileage.

Things to look for:

Find the thermostat body above the transmission and make sure it's not leaking.

Make sure there's no fluid running down the clutch pedal.

Check for valve cover leaks, they can lead to a messy engine and a nasty smell when you're stopped.

·
Registered
727 Posts
There are tons of free mods out there to be found. A lot of them can be found on this site. If you can do the work yourself modding is cheaper. If not though, talk to William at CFM. He can help you spend what money you have wisely on perf. mods. Be honest tell him what kind of money you have to spend. If he knows you're looking for the most bang for your buck, he'll steer you that way. I would look into some good plugs and wires.

·
Registered
727 Posts
You can also find ground or earthing kits through SportcompactOnly.com. You will not notice any huge power gain, but the svt doesn't have the best ground system from the factory. Good grounds can help your accessories. They aren't very expensive either around 40 bucks. Be sure to use good oil. Synthetic is best. Be sure to read my pal's dsi clip mod instructions. You may want to get CFM's billet dsi clip. The clip may save you problems in the long run. Do some reading on here. Take your time modding isn't a race. It's better to save for the good stuff, than be dissappointed with the cheap stuff. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Congrats on getting your SVT!

Personally, I think the stock gearbox is very good. All of I have on my car is a SRI, and that made the car feel more powerful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll probably do the intake/throttlebody first, then the tune. Are there any issues i should look out for just in general with this car? Any major flaws or anything of that sort?

·
Registered
714 Posts
First off welcome
Your best investment is to go through the stickies on this forum.
There are a lot of how-to's and most of your questions have already been answered.
People here KNOW this car.

Keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
142 Posts
welcome to FF [wrenchin]

·
Registered
708 Posts
Congrats on the new SVT and I hope you like it! Welcome to the forums too.

What is this engine mount everybody is talking about? Why are you guys recommending that? (I am personally asking as I have never seen anyone here talk about that)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts