Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE 5 speed
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 Focus SE for free and I am going through it. trick it out for fun. Lowering Kits? The 2.0 16v engines reliable?

·
Grey Friar
903 Posts
There used to be a lot of different spring/damper combos available, not sure how many you can find these days, but stay away from Chinese metal... pay for good springs/dampers. Tire Rack (not the cheapest) still offers many choices, not sure who else that's reputable is still in the game for Mk1 Foci suspension.

On my '02 SE, I tried a few combos, the KYB adjustable dampers (also SVT stock set), with SVT, FRPP, and Eibach springs (didn' try the Bilstein B8, but Bilstein makes very good dampers). I liked the SVT kit best for street use, a sedan doesn't need more spring rate in the rear (too light back there), and makes the car handle like a FWD version of a 300-series BMW... however, my 3dr '04 SVT loved the H&R sport springs w/KYB, for versatility, on-road or on-track (with fully adjustable rear camber/toe pieces and poly all around)... and great tires, no matter what you pick.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
43 Posts
PB: glad to hear the KYB H&R combo was good for you, as I'm currently waiting on a set for my '06 wagon.

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE 5 speed
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey pb-foot, that is some really terrific input. Thanks so much! No track stuff for this bad boy. I have never lowered a vehicle myself. I just remember buddies cutting the springs and tossing them back in and the look was awesome and the ride in exchange for a brutal ride. We played with Datsun 510's. Now you know how old I am! lol

I too am going to go with that combo of KYB, with Eibach holding my interest for springs. I got a clunking sounds when driving around and going to assume it is dampener, or tie rod bushing(s). CV Joint boots look fine, but wondering of lowering it will add extra stress to them, and if replacing them while there is a good idea, or "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

·
Grey Friar
903 Posts
The springs that claim to be "lowering springs" are usually not as well tuned to the design of the car's suspension as the springs that are called "sport" (or "race") springs. The race springs have a very high rate and lower the car almost as much as "lowering" springs, but sport springs from reputable sources will leave the axle-shafts straighter than stock-height springs,and the up/down flex angles will be less extreme, so the CVs should see less angular flex with them than with stock. Also ride quality is good... the SVT spring set lowers the car ~3/4 of an inch, when comparing fresh springs... but old saggy stock springs may already be close to the ride-height of fresh SVT springs... it's just that the German's working for Ford did an excellent job designing the Focus suspension and steering, and the SVT set is a nice compromise street/track.

Ha ha, I'm pretty old too, and played around with a 510 once, after I sold my Fiat. I used to have to face 1.6s with my Fiat 128, they were plentiful, and some could be made to go pretty fast. If I couldn't out-brake and out-corner them, the torque difference meant they stayed ahead... I had to overtake on entrances and/or side-by-side through corners, getting back on-throttle before they could, and never before a longish straight (or they might be able to retake their old spot)... the Fiat was only 1.3L, but the engine configuration was the same as a Ferrari V12 from that era, so there was a "displacement penalty". Good times.

·
Registered
2006 ZXW SE, starting its new life as a sleeper
43 Posts
I just did the KYB + H&R Sport swap on my wagon and it's great. Down about an inch or so and more planted. It feels great with those and some Pilot Sport A/S 3+. It was totally worth the little price bump as opposed to replacing with OEM.
A little less body roll and a little more grip has meant more fun on the twisties.

·
Registered
2000 Focus SE 5 speed
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Folks,
I too went with the KYB + H&R, they are in and they are terrific. Thanks for the input, it really helped narrow down the choices. The look is terrific, though the guy who installed them said "it didn't lower them that much" I laughed, I just wanted two fingers, enough to match up the curve of the wheel well with the tire and i got exactly that. When i park the car, i always turn around for a quick glance at how handsome the car is sitting there. It is a great look for a great car.

I just have to behave when zipping around town! the ride is terrific, and all I want to do is throw it around the corners! Much added fun to an already fun car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts