Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this site, and new to driving and vehicle ownership. I bought a 2000 Ford focus LX with 115,000 miles on it. The person I bought it from is a mechanic and he explained to me that the brakes, clutch, timing belt, and water pump were recently replaced. I bought the car in earl september. He also told me that he replaced/swaped the engine, and the car he took it from had 50K plus miles on it. The title stated 94,000(+) for odometer reading when he bought it from the original owner. So I'm assuming the engine mileage is 70k(+), even though the odometer says 115K. The car was inspected and we only needed to replace one windsheild wiper blade, and left turn signal bulb was on dying out. Other than that everything was fine.

Anyway the car has been sitting in front my house since then b/c I don't have my license yet. I have only driven in it twice so far with a freind who is teaching me to drive a manual trans. At least once a week I start the engine and let it run for 20-30 mins. Not sure why I do it, but I heard that is what you are supposed to do. The oil was changed at 113k, and isn't due for changin until 116k. There is a reminder sticker on windsheild. My question today is can you please recommend for or suggest must have items for the car especially since winter is here.

What do I need to have in my car for winter, and for basic maintenance. For example should I stock up on antifreeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, transmission fluid, engine oil etc. Also can you recommend what brands are good for my year and model ford focus. This is my first car and I just want to make sure continue to maintain it properly [wrenchin] .

Thanks for your time.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
If nothing leaks you really don't have to stock up on anything, unless it's on sale then go hog wild.
Far as oil goes, it's a bickering match, but most any quality 5W-20 is recommended.
For the oil filter again go with quality, Motorcraft, Wix, Napa Gold, etc.
Antifreeze, Green or Yellow, doesn't matter which they mix just fine.
Brake fluid is DOT 3, most common for vehicles.

The owners manual covers most of the fluid recommendations.

The big one is spark plugs. Only use Motorcraft or Autolite. Many many problems have arisen from other brands, namely Bosch.

Other than that, congrats on the new car and welcome to the site. Enjoy

·
Registered
248 Posts
If nothing leaks you really don't have to stock up on anything, unless it's on sale then go hog wild.
Far as oil goes, it's a bickering match, but most any quality 5W-20 is recommended.
For the oil filter again go with quality, Motorcraft, Wix, Napa Gold, etc.
Antifreeze, Green or Yellow, doesn't matter which they mix just fine.
Brake fluid is DOT 3, most common for vehicles.

The owners manual covers most of the fluid recommendations.

The big one is spark plugs. Only use Motorcraft or Autolite. Many many problems have arisen from other brands, namely Bosch.

Other than that, congrats on the new car and welcome to the site. Enjoy
i thought ford oil was 5w-30 not 5w-20, this is whats in handbook.also ngk , champion are also good, i use ngk platinum,recommended for zetec engines
i've notice after a while,the sparkplugs tend to rust on the ceramic core due condensation, i just put a little bit vaseline to avoid this & it generally works .

·
Registered
248 Posts
[ffrocks]
I am new to this site, and new to driving and vehicle ownership. I bought a 2000 Ford focus LX with 115,000 miles on it. The person I bought it from is a mechanic and he explained to me that the brakes, clutch, timing belt, and water pump were recently replaced. I bought the car in earl september. He also told me that he replaced/swaped the engine, and the car he took it from had 50K plus miles on it. The title stated 94,000(+) for odometer reading when he bought it from the original owner. So I'm assuming the engine mileage is 70k(+), even though the odometer says 115K. The car was inspected and we only needed to replace one windsheild wiper blade, and left turn signal bulb was on dying out. Other than that everything was fine.

Anyway the car has been sitting in front my house since then b/c I don't have my license yet. I have only driven in it twice so far with a freind who is teaching me to drive a manual trans. At least once a week I start the engine and let it run for 20-30 mins. Not sure why I do it, but I heard that is what you are supposed to do. The oil was changed at 113k, and isn't due for changin until 116k. There is a reminder sticker on windsheild. My question today is can you please recommend for or suggest must have items for the car especially since winter is here.

What do I need to have in my car for winter, and for basic maintenance. For example should I stock up on antifreeze, power steering fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, transmission fluid, engine oil etc. Also can you recommend what brands are good for my year and model ford focus. This is my first car and I just want to make sure continue to maintain it properly [wrenchin] .

Thanks for your time.
[welcome] to club. in future seek for documented paperwork,receipts of work carried out this gives you a general idea & history of the car.anyway good luck with car .rather than just ticking the engine over it needs a good drive to keep the charge healthy. yunii[thumb] [thumb]

·
Registered
143 Posts
I live in a very cold place also...

I always keep an extension cord, oil, wiper fluid, first aid kit, blankets, jack and tire in the hatch. Cell phone, calling card, mini tool kit and cash in my glove compartment just "in case".

oh... and get a good set of winter tires, that's my next investment.

I just got my oil done at the dealer last week and they put in 5W20 also....

·
Jetsetter
6,660 Posts
5w-20 will the the oil for you, yunii i think that because your across the pond that your handbook tells you 5w-30.

a new set of spark plug wires will also be good for you, check your tire pressure on a monthly basis, they would be 32-34psi an extra psi or two wont hurt during the winter months. other than that iminhell pretty much covered everything else.

[welcome] to ff.com [ffrocks]

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
^^yeah, good and often neglected advice about checking your tires regularly. Once a month should be often enough.

Which brings us to: Get yourself a GOOD tire guage. Last summer I bought 4 of them before I could find 2 that would agree. One was 7 PSI low! Plan to spend, say $15 for a good guage. I recommend the dial type, but shop carefully and try to find one that guarantees accuracy within some specific amount. (2%should be OK) Do not buy one of those 99 cent jobs, buy a candy bar instead. At least you'll enjoy that.

Otherwise, I wouldn't stress about stocking up on anything. You'll accumulate stuff fast enough without even trying. Plus, you stock up on stuff, then, god forbid, somebody flattens your car while it's parked outside, and what have you got? A bunch of stuff you don't need, that's what!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts