Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's very nice. The look on the happy faces of 2011 Focus owners as I pass them.
This morning on the way to work it happened again.

A man in a silver sedan from last years model followed me all the way to work.
He kept looking over. I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "Dang, I'm glad I have a 2nd Gen car".

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can see why they are jealous, but I don't think the 2011's look bad. They have a nice instrument panel and look sporty. I didn't see any kind of sport package for them though. I wonder how they handle.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My girlfriend is pretty PO'd about the change from 2011 to 2012. She basically got forced out of her 2008 Mustang and into a 2011 Focus due to lease/money timing. She absolutely hates the thing, even after I added a Steeda rear sway-bar to get rid of the boaty feel. She's very jealous of the 2012's existence and that she couldn't have at least got a 2012 to hold her over to her next Mustang instead of the 2011. I can't blame her...I've driven the 2011 and would never buy a car that drives like that if I had a choice. Made me wonder why one of my friends has always raved about Foci...until I finally rode in his 2003 ZX3.

·
Registered
16,194 Posts
To each his own. i love my 2010 SES.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 2012 is at the dealer waiting for a new steering rack and I was given a 2010 Focus. Honestly I love the little thing. It's so damn small, even compared to the 2012. Fun to drive. Not sure I'd want one permanently but I wouldn't be upset if I had one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I saw a 2011 model with a dealer tag on it in a parking lot a few days ago and I couldn't imagine why they got the 2011. They must have either gotten a deal, didn't know about the 2012, or didn't care.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The front end "update" added a lot to the looks of the sedan. The coupes always looked oddly fun to me, I wouldn't have minded one.

That said, my 2012 trumps both. lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
I thought the older 1st generation Focus was a decent-looking car, but the second generation (including the 2011 model) looked cheapened and more like an economy car. I did drive one as a rental, and while it wasn't bad, it certainly didn't feel as nice or sporty as the 2012. I think the biggest testament is that the new model brings a lot of new people to the Focus - people who would have never considered the previous gen model. It's finally a very competitive car and probably the best in it's price range, especially now that the latest Jetta and Civic have been cheapened and made bland and generic.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Hey, I love the new 2012's but I also love my 2009 Coupe which I have become quite fond of! And now that it's all paid off, I am looking forward to a few years of low cost fun and enjoyment.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I will keep my 09 ses Coupe, I hate four doors, the 12 looks like a large mouth bass coming at you, and I not sure of what they were thinking on the tail end. Your right though I do take a double look as one goes by, telling my self Dam, I'm glad I did not wait.
The 09-11 coupes are much more sportier looking. Lets face it there are only 2 reasons why people by a four door, They are cheaper in price, then a coupe, or you have a family, and need one. Remember this just my opinion.. Read my Sig....[boxface]

Reactions: redSVT_03

·
Registered
164 Posts
Ya, the last gen SES looks good for what it is (a 13 year old design), but the new Focus is a way better looking/handling car.

If the new Focus came in two door, I'd own one. But they don't. I don't need 4 doors, so there goes your theory.

The 2012 is just a way better car, hands down.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I will keep my 09 ses Coupe, I hate four doors, the 12 looks like a large mouth bass coming at you, and I not sure of what they were thinking on the tail end. Your right though I do take a double look as one goes by, telling my self Dam, I'm glad I did not wait.
The 09-11 coupes are much more sportier looking. Lets face it there are only 2 reasons why people by a four door, They are cheaper in price, then a coupe, or you have a family, and need one. Remember this just my opinion.. Read my Sig....[boxface]
Most people cringe when I tell them I ordered a Focus but after they see the pics they love it. They can't believe it's a Focus. The electric version of the focus does have that fish mouth look to it but the triangle look does a lot to totally change that.

As far as the second gen Focus being sportier, I have to strongly disagree. In fact they look like every other sedan/hatch. Nothing to set it apart. The double takes on the 2012's are definitely coming from being more sportier than previous models. And to drive one...that's where the sportiness really shines true.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I to think this. I love my 08 coupe and wouldnt trade it for the 2012 model, no way no how.

btw, the coupes were 08-10, 11 was the only year they didnt make them.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the 12 looks like a large mouth bass
I'm glad I did not wait. The 09-11 coupes are much more sportier looking.
From Websters Dictionary:

Definition of JEALOUS
1a : intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness
b : disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness

2: hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
3: vigilant in guarding a possession

Examples of JEALOUS
His success has made some of his old friends jealous.
She became very jealous whenever he talked to other women.
The 2011 Focus owner was jealous of the 2012 Focus owner

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm a little disappointed my Foci isn't getting the attention it deserves. I believe it's because people just don't know what it is. All I know is that I enjoy every minute driving in it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Most people cringe when I tell them I ordered a Focus but after they see the pics they love it. They can't believe it's a Focus. The electric version of the focus does have that fish mouth look to it but the triangle look does a lot to totally change that.

As far as the second gen Focus being sportier, I have to strongly disagree. In fact they look like every other sedan/hatch. Nothing to set it apart. The double takes on the 2012's are definitely coming from being more sportier than previous models. And to drive one...that's where the sportiness really shines true.
I have to Agree with 'completly_focused.' Nothing against the coupes of from generation 2 -- I ran my 03' focus very hard for many years and loved the car (especially since that was the car I learned/started driving in). I was sad to see it go to when i traded her in -- but it was just time.

I now am a proud 2012 owner and I definately agree that 2012's are 'an upgrade in almost every way.' I love how it drives/handles/looks - with the added bonus - it gets great gas mileage (with gas prices these days - that's crucial!)

----

I will also add that when I owned my 03, I often remember saying to myself "i love my foci" or "yea, she gets me from A to B." Now that I own a 2012 -- I find myself saying "WOW, look at that sexy car in the driveway."

I honestly don't recall (until recently) having ever used the adjective 'Sexy' to describe a Ford Focus :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I pass the 11 focus and older focus' everyday and I really don't think they know what kind of car it is either. I get more eyes from drivers driving other cars. I will stop at Wawa or any other store and get looks and even some people looking around my car. Or they ask me what is that? and they can't believe its a Focus.. but they love the new look! I would have never seen myself driving one of the older Focus'.. I just don't like the look of them.. and then I won this car and I am just completely amazed and in love with the thing lol. They really set the 2012's apart from the rest on this one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know I've gotten a few confused looks from people when I told them I got a Focus. When they see it though; they get it.
Last week, a friend that got in it for the first time was taken aback and remarked it was nicer inside than the Passat I had previously. She has a 1st gen Focus, later she was asking about available colors for the 2012.

·
Unicorn Owner
2,757 Posts
I like the 2012s, honestly I do. Am I jealous? No. I am a firm believer in if you like it then you like it. If you don't you don't. But you can make just about anything look good with enough time and money.

And all this hate I feel from fellow focus brothers makes me a little mad. We all drive focus' and that's what matters. So what if the 2012 has a beefier motor (it's still a Duratec), or has a strange back end. My '09 has a fat ass, so what, I like my ride and nothing anyone says will change that.

Each gen has pros and cons and if you are too childish to respect that then do us a favor and keep it to yourself. There is no reason for a family to bicker over nonsense like this, we have enough hate from imports as it is.

And besides the only thing ANYONE should be jealous over are the focus ST.
Enjoy your ride and ignore what anyone that is harshing on your ride, cause chances are they are ignorant and self absorbed.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts