Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just got my focus, 01 ZX3 with the 5 speed. I know I want an exhaust, and an airtake to start with, but with problems with some of the clips and what not, I can't get a good feel for what i should be getting. Advice would be great.
I'm not going to be doing any racing or showing, so it's all gonna be just for fun for me. I know I don't want the rice rocket sounding exhaust system. Haven't heard too many to be honest, but my GF has a Borla Catback in her 03 Tiburon that sounds nice. ( Harley fan so maybe it's the deep rumble)
Would Borla be the way to go? I saw them for around 450 for the catback, which was just a tad bit more than I wanted to spend. But I know I like the deeper sounding exhausts, but I really don't want it too quiet either.
As for the cold air intake? AEM sounds like everyone's choice, 200 bucks is about average?
Thanks in advance.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
For the exhaust, i think Borla is the way to go, it's pricey but well worth it. Search around this forum and you'll see lots of people with the same question. As for the CAI, go with the Volant (although also considered a SRI), i think it's the best. AEM is great too. Good luck with your choice and welcome to FocusFanatics! [thumb]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So , Bascially I'm probably going either with the Borla Catback which I've heard and sounds nice and deep, or the MBRP which I've heard is good, but I can't get the sound clips to work on their site.
I'd like to just hear the MBRP with just the catback and a Cold Air intake, been searching through the boards, but hard to find one with no other mods. Any help?

The MBRP is like 200 bucks cheaper which would be nice as well. Does the Borla sound that much better?

-- From the MBRP site, S4039 2000-2006 Ford Focus ZX3 /ZX5
2.0L $339.00 $239.00 .

Now, is that the entire system that I will need? Or do I need a special Cat as well? And for the newb question, resonator... what exactly is it? And would it be included in that?

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
oh yeah, the Borla sounds way better. The MBRP should be fine if you keep your cat, but may get loud if you're running an Off Road Pipe (ORP).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have a Tsudo catback exhaust which i got off of ebay for 235 shipped, and a Steeda intake for 99, together the package sounds great, i have a sound clip of them somewhere on the forums, so check it out and think about this maybe, its not bad even though some people are gunna tell you its crap cus i got it off ebay.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
^^^yeah, tell me about it.. as soon as you sya "e-Bay" -----> "CRAP" comes to their minds.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Well in my opinion if your gonna get an intake I would suggest an AEM Short Ram intake.... don't get me wrong I would perfer the CAI but to be honest you'll save a little more money and not have to worry about the water getting into your system. But yeah you'll still get about the same performance wise. And as for the exhaust I've been told that the difference between Borla and MBRP is just gonna be the tips..... supposedly they use the same piping....lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I ended up buying the Borla Catback exhaust and the AEM Cold air intake. I live in NY, so should I take any steps to guard against water? I know my GF has the same intake in her Tiburon and doesn't seem to have any problems with water as far as I know, it came with the car so I'm not sure if it's the intake or the other one that she has.

·
Illegal Alien
4,586 Posts
Sounds like your GF is a smart girl! [thumb]

Well, get a by-pass valve. That way atleast you're safer from hydrolocking your engine if the filter gets soaked in water.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By-pass valve? What exactly is it, and where and when do you install it? Can ya point me in the right direction to getting one?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts