Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd mention a few differences I've noticed so far in my 14 SE Hatch versus my 13 SE sedan.

The '14 radio display has the same little screen saver blocks when the car starts, but if the radio is turned on and then turned off while the car is running, the screen goes solid black (no blue blocks). Time and date still show. I don't know if this is on purpose or not.

Another difference is that in the older car when the key is turned off, the power windows did not work. In the new one the electric windows operate with the key off--until the door is opened.

On the '13 the steering wheel audio controls were located on an extension on the right of the wheel (similar in design to the cruise controls on the left side). On the '14 they moved them up to a round button assembly just right of center. These are similar to the DIC controls on the left side of the wheel. I don't remember now if these buttons did any thing at all on my '13!

The 2014 has SiriusXM radio whereas the 2013 did not. The 2013 radio sounded better to me. Cheaper speakers maybe? Probably the radio head unit.

I only got half a battery cover in the 2014 car. The cover is a 2 part thing and the '14 got the front half of the cover you can see when you open the hood. De-contenting??? How cheap.

The new car handles better, rides worse. Could be the bigger rims and shorter tires. I know--life's a bitch.

DCT shifts great. The sedan loved to be drove hard, but I'm taking it easy until I get some miles on the new one. I'll wait till 3000 miles before I drive it hard. I'll switch over to Mobile 1 at that time.

The heated leather seats are great, and the hatch gives the car the utility of a small SUV.

The ambient lights seem to have a mind of their own...

So far so good.[twothumbs]

BTW One odd thing--on both cars I added LED bulbs. On the 2013 I used only 1 load resistor on 1 turn signal bulb and they all flashed properly with just the one resistor on the circuit. On the 2014 I had to add load resistors to all 4 bulbs to keep the four turn signal bulbs from hyper flashing. Go figure. The electronics on both cars scare the hell out of me.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Nice. I have only ever driven the '14 as that is what i own but i wonder if it the handling is different because of the changes they made to the front strut. I know that people with 14's have not been able to put just lowering springs on their cars because the springs for the 12-13 dont work because of a change made to the strut. Just a thought. i love my '14 though. i also have a ruby red hatch. good choice!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. I have only ever driven the '14 as that is what i own but i wonder if it the handling is different because of the changes they made to the front strut. I know that people with 14's have not been able to put just lowering springs on their cars because the springs for the 12-13 dont work because of a change made to the strut. Just a thought. i love my '14 though. i also have a ruby red hatch. good choice!
My 2013 was Ruby Red also. Partial to that color and oddly enough for me (a guy who hates yellow) I like tangerine scream on the STs. It just fits that car and the Mini Cooper as well.

·
Registered
739 Posts
So why did you go from a '13 to a '14?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a great deal on the 14. The 13 was pretty much a plain jane and the '14 is loaded up. Maybe I should have kept the '13. I paid 16,500 for the 2013 drove it exactly 2 years and got 13,000 in trade, plus the 3k rebate from Ford. Anyway the deed is done.[deviltail]

BTW I checked the dealship's website--they're asking 17,000.00 for my old car!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I felt like my '14 handled better than my '13 too, stock for stock. Must be in the design of the strut update.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I got a great deal on the 14. The 13 was pretty much a plain jane and the '14 is loaded up. Maybe I should have kept the '13. I paid 16,500 for the 2013 drove it exactly 2 years and got 13,000 in trade, plus the 3k rebate from Ford. Anyway the deed is done.[deviltail]

BTW I checked the dealship's website--they're asking 17,000.00 for my old car!
That's not bad at all considering you got a lot more features in the '14. That alone could cover the $3,500 difference.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
"BTW I checked the dealship's website--they're asking 17,000.00 for my old car!"

The dealer is free to "ask" any amount it chooses. GETTING $17,000 is another matter entirely, and that ain't about to happen....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts