Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After hearing about all of the potential problems i have heard about the SVT's stock flywheel [?|] i have started lookin for a new one. I just wanted to know if anyone else has been lookin or has already bought one and if it is really worth it. Any input at all would be great and very helpful!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
not really the best thing for a mildly modded svt, great for boosted. call up www.focussport.com and i'm sure one of the guys will be glad to answer your questions and help you out.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
i read about this a while ago. i think i remember hearing its a good idea to get a new clutch at the same time too. dont remember why tho. ill try to jog my memory later.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
EuroZX3 said:
i read about this a while ago. i think i remember hearing its a good idea to get a new clutch at the same time too. dont remember why tho. ill try to jog my memory later.
because they are buddied up right next to each other, gotta remove one to get to the other, once the housing it open, might as well[thumb]

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.... but what i really want to know is if it is worth it. Will getting a new flywheel and clutch prevent all of the problems associated with the stock clutch/ flywheel?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
My clutch died at only 8700 miles, we went with the SPEC Stage 3 clutch and SPEC Aluminum light weight Flywheel. My complaint is the noise, That and I dont have enough torque to utilize the full power from a flywheel yet. But soon, real soon.....[burnout]

Edit note: Not everyone is having problems with their clutch, flywheel. If you just want to up-grade, I would go with both the clutch and flywheel, get it all over with at one time. Since the tranny will be down, why not check into FS Differentials.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If it's not driver error than Ford will replace it (This has been my situation so far). I'm in the same boat but I'm making Ford replace it each time. A new, free flywheel every few thousand miles is insanely ridiculous but it's also free. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm wanting to know what kind of symptoms you guys are experiencing with the Dual Mass Flywheel? I'm hearing what I think to be the beginnings of Flywheel buzz (for lack of a better word) when I shift around 4 grand. Not hearing throwout bearing at idle or having clutch issues. Just curious so I'll know if what I'm experiencing are early warning signs or just the tendency of the flywheel to keep revving up after I disengaged the clutch to shift. I know this is off topic but if I'm starting to have issues I might go the lightened flywheel, better clutch, and LSD route.

-Later

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had the dealer replace both my gearbox and flywheel ( the disc and pressure plate too since they are right there). This was done due to excessive noise from the gear box. The noise was very, very loud, and sounded as if there were marbles in the box...... The dealer got with Ford, and Ford kind of, but not really, admitted there were problems with this dual mass flywheel set up. Ford tech told the dealer to do a couple of tests to determian what was making the noise.

They were to listen to the gearbox in nuetral with the clutch out. Then to rev the car to certain rpms and note when the noise was present. Long story short, the nosie was there through out the rpm range. So, they replaced both flywheel and gear box. This was done, and they did a good job too, no problems at all. I was there, under foot , of course.

Two days later, the same noise is back, not as bad, but there. I called SVT, and they want me and the dealer to make an appointment with the Area Technical Field rep. (Not done yet)

Svt did tell me to post, and ask any one with noisey transmissions to call so they can document it.

I do remember seeing a post on here a few months ago about flywheels breaking apart and flying through the case. That post was from some one who had been "drag racing" their Focus, and "dumping" the clutch. That is the only post I recall seeing on flywheel problems.

I think there is some confusion here. Or, perhaps it is a difference in terminology. The clutch is made up of three parts. The clutch disk, the pressure plate, and the throw-out (some times called the release) bearing. The flywheel is bolted to the transmission and recieves the spinning clutch disk.

The easiest way to tell if you cluch disk is slipping is to do this: Don't to this in traffic.... Get going about 30 mph, and shift to a high gear, 4th will do, let the clutch out and floor it, look at the tach, is it reving high and your not going any place, or is it lugging down. If it is reving like crazy, then your clutch disk is slipping.

·
Registered
424 Posts
"I think there is some confusion here. Or, perhaps it is a difference in terminology. The clutch is made up of three parts. The clutch disk, the pressure plate, and the throw-out (some times called the release) bearing. The flywheel is bolted to the transmission and recieves the spinning clutch disk."

Nope, no confusion on my part..............I have not had any slippage as of yet and cannot hear the throw-out bearing either. It's just that when I shift (especially in cold weather) the flywheel continues to rotate what seems to be too fast for the lcutch to be disenegaged. These are just my ramblings and really I was interested in what the issues you had.

Thanks

·
Registered
412 Posts
02SVTFOCI
I think you are talking about the transmission "free-wheeling". I guess the extra mass of this flywheel would make the gears free-wheel more than a non-dual mass unit. This would be normal for this type of setup.
Are you having any problems shifting? I some times experience some "strange" shifting oddities with this transmission. Things I have never come across before. But, then I have never driven a car with a dual mass flywheel either. I guess it is just the nature of the beast as they say.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts