Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY! Just found this section! I now own a FFE and am looking forward to posting as I go along. Here are a couple of shots of my new to me 2012 Frosted Glass Electric!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
How's it rollin?

As someone else asked, did you get set up for 220 charging?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How's it rollin?

As someone else asked, did you get set up for 220 charging?
So far it's great! The three trips I have taken have been around 30-40 miles and I have had about 65% left in the batteries. Most of the driving is city, stop and go. The Regen feature is really good. It rolls gently around here so I am off the accelerator a fair amount, with foot off and deceleration, the regen starts, not just the actual braking. I've gotten around 19 miles back from just regen.

I have ordered the 240v charger and expect it later this week.

Naturally, gas prices have gone down a good .30/gal. now in this area!
I feel more confident in the range each time and look less at the gauge even after just four drives. I think it will serve very well indeed!

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Now there's a rare Focus! Good colour choice too, FG is underrated.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Lightly used is the best way to get any electric vehicle IMO. The Leafs have more interior room, but air cooled batteries mean you lose capacity every hot summer on top of extra usage for AC. According to owners in arid states- you don't get it back either. The FFE doesn't have that problem. I've been wanting one for myself, and I wish I'd bought a plug-in CMax for the wife instead of the standard hybrid. Sure, gas is going on the cheap now, but at our energy rates here (.09/kwh) it would cost me $1.25 per round trip to work instead of $5.

So after you get the 240v charger, are you going to see what the acceleration is like at highway speeds?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Oh... FYI, pre-heating the vehicle on house power won't work unless you have the 240v charger. I'd personally look into a Leviton brand 40 amp version if I were you. The AC plug is different between the 20 amp, 30 amp, and 40 amp chargers. It will require different size wiring by your electrician also, so the only time you can upgrade is when you install- unless you have them install #8 wiring, but only use the 30 amp plug.

I do not recommend that you use Best Buy's "Geek Squad" for your charger installation. Call an electrician. The reason I mention that is because I remember that Ford partnered with BB for installing the chargers. Having seen some of the low voltage wiring that those guys have done in my friends' homes- I shudder to think of what they will do with more powerful electricity. It might even be cheaper to call a real electrician, have a plug installed, and mount the charger yourself.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh... FYI, pre-heating the vehicle on house power won't work unless you have the 240v charger. I'd personally look into a Leviton brand 40 amp version if I were you. The AC plug is different between the 20 amp, 30 amp, and 40 amp chargers. It will require different size wiring by your electrician also, so the only time you can upgrade is when you install- unless you have them install #8 wiring, but only use the 30 amp plug.

I do not recommend that you use Best Buy's "Geek Squad" for your charger installation. Call an electrician. The reason I mention that is because I remember that Ford partnered with BB for installing the chargers. Having seen some of the low voltage wiring that those guys have done in my friends' homes- I shudder to think of what they will do with more powerful electricity. It might even be cheaper to call a real electrician, have a plug installed, and mount the charger yourself.
I bought the ClipperCreek HCS-40P charger. I already had an outlet for a welder and it is rated for 50Amps so I'm good there. My charger is 32 amp which is plenty for my use, I just don't need the extra power and will rarely need to preheat as my garage is insulated and I work at home.
Thanks for the info though, I'm sure it will be of use to anyone who reads this. Since I bought the FFE I find myself wishing I had bought the plug-in C-Max, instead of the C-max I have now, But the C-max I do have works great so no plan to trade it in anytime soon.

I have driven it once so far on the freeway, It gets up the ramps much faster than the 2012 Focus it replaced and is very hard to tell how fast you are going when on the freeway! I was drifting up to 70+ a few times without noticing the difference in speed. No tach or motor noise to clue me in to speed. Still very peppy even at speed, although it is artificially limited to 80mph, I wouldn't be driving it that way anyhow. The trip was fairly short, only about 17 miles freeway, but I didn't notice a great degradation in capacity for as short a total trip as I went,(about 38miles total), I lost maybe 3 miles range by using the freeway. But I could see it being a greater issue if you were to plan to go closer to the range limit before getting a charge. Again, not the intended use for this car, I have the C-Max for that.

But right now, it is a lot of fun to drive, better takeoff speed and quiet. I don't have to play the radio nearly so high as the Focus and can hear more of the songs notes than before. Some of that is probably the better radio system and extra speakers, but mostly the reduction of ambient noises, which give me a hard time in the best of circumstances.(half deaf)

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Nice to hear the review. I have a C-Max as well, and I'm considering either an FFE or a plug-in C-Max for the next vehicle purchase. My one-way trip to work is 22 miles, so I would be forced to use a 240v charger that I don't have a place for. It is not in a garage. If I was to get a plug-in C-Max, that would go to the wife. Her drive cycle is very short- like 8 miles RT per day, so her C-Max looks like it gets horrible fuel economy with a 36.5 avg. She could drive either vehicle on electric only with only a 120v charger, but trying to get a woman NOT to have a car that is pre-warmed before going out will be impossible.

I'm an electrician, but the house is not well suited for adding a 240v outlet near the front where the vehicles are parked. It can be done, but IMO could also be avoided. One option is that we could swap up vehicles whenever I work 12 hours per day and there is not enough time to recharge the battery- or perhaps I could convince the Fortune 500 company I work for to allow me to charge the car at work. That seems unlikely though. That would be like stealing money- even though a 0-100 charge only costs $2.28, and 8 hours of charging would only cost 72 cents. A normal person just can't expect a billion dollar company to take a loss like that without it being criminal.

I could also get a Leaf for her, but she's sold on the C-Max. I don't think she would appreciate the lack of acceleration in the Leaf and I would not appreciate the air cooled battery. The lack of storage room in the FFE and the C-Max plug-in are the only things holding me back from having a plug-in + EV as you proposed for yourself.

I use only premium fuel in the C-Max. Have you ever tried 2+ tanks of premium, then compared the highway acceleration to regular fuel? I noticed a big difference, but that could also be the regular fuel I used. We love our C-Max, and if I could afford another one right now- I'd buy it immediately. Unfortunately my attempt to put extra money into the stock market in order to purchase another vehicle within 3 years is not even close to fruition.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Oh... as you know from the C-Max... there should be a tachometer in the multi-function display. I don't know what worth it will be though if you can't watch the speedometer. Maybe get some Weathertech window wind deflectors and crack a window so you can hear the speed?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Her drive cycle is very short- like 8 miles RT per day, so her C-Max looks like it gets horrible fuel economy with a 36.5 avg. She could drive either vehicle on electric only with only a 120v charger, but trying to get a woman NOT to have a car that is pre-warmed before going out will be impossible.
I'm confused on these 2 comments. You consider 36.5mpg horrible? [scratch] I get 25-27 and I'm very happy with that so your mileage sounds pretty good to me.

Pre-warmed? You live in TN. I live in Northern IL, almost WI and I never pre-warm my car. I usually have heat within 10 minutes and the heated seats are warm within several miles.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Pre-warming the electric vehicle is only possible with a 220 V charger if I've got the info. straight, possibly on the plug in C-Max as well.

Only way to get the best range for one & stay on electric for a short trip with the other I'd guess.

36.5 mpg is only poor compared to what it can do on longer trips for the regular C-Max, terrible compared to short trips on electric only for a plug in version.

Alex - getting a plug in at work might not be easy, but presented as a way for them to showcase their "environmental consciousness" you might have luck with that (grin). They'd spend a LOT more advertising it than on doing it....

·
Super Moderator
9,555 Posts
I have a couple of friends that just moved to Bellbrook. The one works for the Kia dealership up there. I will be sure to tell them to keep an eye out for your car lol.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Pre-warming the electric vehicle is only possible with a 220 V charger if I've got the info. straight, possibly on the plug in C-Max as well.
You are correct sir. An owner can set a "go time", or contact the vehicle via app and have it pre-warmed or pre-cooled. This will work if the vehicle is not plugged in, or if the vehicle is plugged in via 240v charger, but not 120v. The benefit for an electric or plug-in is an increase in range due to less use of the battery to warm or cool the vehicle if it is plugged. All EVs and plug-in cars have this ability.

Only way to get the best range for one & stay on electric for a short trip with the other I'd guess.
Yes, which is why I wish I'd bought the plug-in for the wife. What turned me off was the lack of storage space, and that we were buying this to replace our road trip vehicle for when we make the 250 mile trips to visit G-parents.

36.5 mpg is only poor compared to what it can do on longer trips for the regular C-Max, terrible compared to short trips on electric only for a plug in version.
YES I regularly got 45-50 mpg on my trips back and forth to work. Another difference is that I don't use the climate control as much as my wife does. Typical female- leaves the windows rolled up, turns AC on high, and recirc for a 2 mile trip home from work. This in a car that will roll down all 4 windows if you hold the unlock key for 3 secs as you're walking up to the car, has 15% tint all around, and a kick ass windshield sun deflector that she won't use because it's too much trouble. You'd be shocked at how much power is used up just to keep the blower going. One of the readouts on the multifunction display will show you what kw you're using at the time, and that blower pumps it up more than even the AC does. With a plug-in, I'd be more worried about keeping a supply of fuel stabilizer, and making sure I locate an ethanol free pump nearby.

What's embarrassing is when your friends with mediocre length drives- say 10-15 miles- in Prii compare their 50 mpg to your "It's not as good as a Prius" Ford. To which I offer to drag race, compare 50-70mph passing, or slalom runs.

Prius#cumbersome#fail

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm surprised to see another FFE owner in Ohio! I ordered mine from the factory last July and finally got it mid November.

Yes, not many around here. I have seen a few Tesla and a BMW i3, maybe two of the Leaf but that has been it. I'm still very happy with my FFE! great car and fun to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ford Engineers should have made generators in the spinning wheels to recharge the battery. Almost infinite distance. Along with a power port of course.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ford Engineers should have made generators in the spinning wheels to recharge the battery. Almost infinite distance. Along with a power port of course.
It's not in the wheels, but they do have regen, that uses the momentum to recharge. It isn't just during breaking, but any time you are not on the accelerator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's not in the wheels, but they do have regen, that uses the momentum to recharge. It isn't just during breaking, but any time you are not on the accelerator.
I've always driven manual transmission cars. I find the regen annoying when I let off the accelerator and just want to roll. My work around is shifting to N to roll but then back in D when I want to brake since the car will not regen when you hit the brakes in neutral. Apparently the first FFE's didn't do regen when you let off the accelerator. It was "fixed" later with a software update.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Cars vary in how much they slow by "engine braking", electrics to feel "normal" would need to mimic automatics with regen. to feel "normal" to the most people IMHO.

Too much regen. without touching the brake would feel more like a hydrostatic transmission where speed directly follows the "throttle" input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts