Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 SE 2.3 duratec 5 speed.with 94K. Lately I have hesitation when accelerating from a stop. It also stumbles a lot at start up with cold engine only. Acceleration while shifting is fine. It only happens at starting after a stop. I need to pump the accelerator when first taking off, but it never really stalls out. There are no OBDII codes and the MAF and TPS were replaced last year. Most people point towards O2 sensors, but like I said, OBDII O2 reading are fine. Others point to plugs/coil packs and gas filter. I would think a clogged gas filter would cause hesitation at all times. Anything ideas are appreciated...thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
3,138 Posts
Spark plugs need to be changed more than likely. Pull a coil pack and if the end is covered in oil then you need to replace the valve cover gasket.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,100 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Your (TB)throttle body might be dirty. Take a can of carb cleaner and thoroughly spray it out.
A clogged fuel filter should give low fuel pressure codes but it's always a good idea to replace it if it hasn't been done in a long time.
Also, check your air box for debris like leaves and inspect the air filter. It probably wouldn't hurt to change that out too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Your (TB)throttle body might be dirty. Take a can of carb cleaner and thoroughly spray it out.
A clogged fuel filter should give low fuel pressure codes but it's always a good idea to replace it if it hasn't been done in a long time.
Also, check your air box for debris like leaves and inspect the air filter. It probably wouldn't hurt to change that out too.
Sorry. I should have mentioned that I had cleaned out the throttle body, before I found out the TPS needed replacing last year, but thanks for the follow up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry. I should have mentioned that I had cleaned out the throttle body, before I found out the TPS needed replacing last year, but thanks for the follow up.
The fuel filter is on my list to change out. I do check the air box occasionally, but will look again.

·
Registered
2012 Focus SE hatchback black
1,100 Posts
The IAC(idle air control) valve might be dirty or malfunctioning. Sometimes it will throw a code but many times it will not. Give it a clean with carb cleaner and see if it fixes it. The little motor that opens/closes it can get weak or fail so there are times that replacement is necessary instead of just cleaning it. Idk if there's a procedure to test it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First, let me thank everyone for quick and helpful advice. First time I have needed some direction in the 17 years I have owned the car, as I have only started having issues after all that time. What I have done is taken out all the spark plugs. The coils are in good shape, the only issue I saw was a little bit of oil on the 2nd cylinder plug, but nothing on the coil. So a new valve cover is in the future. I cleaned up all the plugs and reinstalled them. The only other thing I remembered is the air box is good to about 100k. I have 96K, so I looked at the gauge on the side to see if it was in the red. I really could tell what is suppose to be in the red part, so I pulled off the gauge. It still wasn't clear what was suppose to be in the red, if the box needs to be replaced, but I noticed on the very end of the gauge it states to push to reset. Not sure what is being reset, but decided to do it anyways. I did this with the gauge inserted back into the box. I took the car out for a spin and it is running very good. Not sure what resolved the issue, but I'm leaning towards cleaning up the little bit of oil on spark plug #2 and guessing the reset of the air box gauge didn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
3,138 Posts
OK. It does say reset on it, so maybe it resets the vaccuum.
You are correct. It does reset the gauge. You need to replace the spark plugs when you replace the valve cover gasket. Airfilter should be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts