Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok for bout the past eight months iv been driving around with a four foot exhaust pipe coming straight out of my cat. and that was it that was my exhaust. highway gas mileage was starting to dwindle and the sound of the loud exhasut being right under me while driving was getting to be too much. so i decided to fix it make it side exhaust and just put a forty five and then a straight pipe on that comin out as a side exit. but now i noticed that it seems my highway and even city mileage is still bad somewhat. highway actually seems to be worse but its only with my ac on. could someone trouble shoot this for me? i bought some sealant to seal some leaks i had noticed so idk if that will play a big part. but with having a little more backpressure i assumed it would have made my mileage just a little better versus only having a four foot pipe with hardly no backpressure. any suggestions?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have a 2.5" exhaust that dumps at rear axle. My Mileages has not changed, I ran header and flex pipe dump for like 2 weeks and seen no changes. I would possibly search else where for your cause?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was told to check see if my ac needs charged. guess was due to the excessive humidity and being that this is more back pressure for my engine now that maybe it will need a bit to get used to it? ive never noticed a problem before though. before the four foot pipe i had a side exit with a flowmaster 10 series then the four foot (not by choice) didn really notice a difference till spring hit. i just couldn take the constant noise in the car going up hils and trying to talk to someone while having the exhaust exit right under me was just entirely too much noise it was ridiculously loud thus why i changed it but like i said i never noticed a problem till now. but again like i said my guess is between the heat, added backpressure, and ac its all takin a slight toll.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i just did straight pipe side exhaust for money purposes i don have the money right now to be buying mufflers this was jus a quick easy fix and i like my car how it sounds with the straight pipe

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have straight pipes. To loud, my engine is modded but.. Time to change I am going 2.25, borla exhaust with muffler and resonator. I am at 2.5 straight back now

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mine used to stop literally right under my seat i had my cat and then bout four feet of pipe it sounded cool for awhile cuz it was so loud being under the car and echoing but after awhile it just got to be too loud. so went back to my side exit but kept it straight pipes. basically its just a forty five and a straight piece of pipe with a chrome tip. i like loud cars though and don really like how the focus sound when it has a full exhaust exhaust for the fswerks race exhaust. but again money is an issue

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how much is a glasspack going to cost me? my budget is rather low. and like i said i like the sound of the focus when its straight piped

·
Registered
716 Posts
It cost me $60 for a glasspack and to have it welded up.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i'll see you the glasspack / muffler thing I cut off my car for cheap

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i found a glasspack for 20 at advanced. i was actually surprised at how cheap it was. i think for now ill stick with what i have. mayb later one ill install a glasspack iv always wanted one

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a 3' glasspack installed right after the flex pipe,a magnaflow in the stock muffler location and a magnaflow knockoff installed where the stock resonator was and my car is still louder than I like at interstate speeds.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i like loud just how it used to be was TOO loud cuz i couldn hear anything. I think for now i may stick wit my setup i have i don want to get rid of my straight pipe setup less i go wit a glasspack or something. im just going to have to figure out whats goin on with my gas mileage when my ac is on

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Reengineer what Ford has already engingeered for you!

ok for bout the past eight months iv been driving around with a four foot exhaust pipe coming straight out of my cat. and that was it that was my exhaust. highway gas mileage was starting to dwindle and the sound of the loud exhasut being right under me while driving was getting to be too much. so i decided to fix it make it side exhaust and just put a forty five and then a straight pipe on that comin out as a side exit. but now i noticed that it seems my highway and even city mileage is still bad somewhat. highway actually seems to be worse but its only with my ac on. could someone trouble shoot this for me? i bought some sealant to seal some leaks i had noticed so idk if that will play a big part. but with having a little more backpressure i assumed it would have made my mileage just a little better versus only having a four foot pipe with hardly no backpressure. any suggestions?
I would of left it stock= a less hasell & you wouldn't have to worry 'bout five-o pulling you over. What are you trying to do reengineer what ford has already done w/ straight pipe's?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it started out keeping the full exhaust and i just put fart cans on it. once i realized how rice that was i decided to change it. bought me the flowmaster 10 series and decided to do a custom dual side exit exhaust. never go around to do and just did single side exit out the left side. i liked the side exit look but ended up losing my flowmaster becuz it was too low and i have a long gravel drive way so now its just straight pipe side exit. it was actually untentionally done but i don have the money to pay someone to actually do a custom job for me and got sick of being told it cant be done on my car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts