Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my girlfriend decided to buy a new Escape last week while I was away at work. She told me the dealer put some kind of rust protection coating on the paint, and they also installed a battery tender thing, that pulses the metal so it doesnt ever rust, similar to what they have on boats.

She also told me that the dealer said not to wax the car for 5 years, since it isn't needed with this kind of protection. Is this true? I've been around cars for years, and have never heard a dealer tell someone NOT to wax their car for 5 years. I understand what the protection stuff does, it keeps rust away. But I would still think you would need to wax it to keep the paint fresh and to keep the water beading on it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A coworker picked up a new car awhile back and it say's voids rust protection warranty, essentially, if you wax your own car. He called about this and dealers couldn't give him a straight answer until he finally called one that said just wash and wax like normal.

·
Registered
781 Posts
hmm. back in 97 my dealer told me something similar about my jeep. don't wax it for a few years because of the clear coat, nothing about rust. i still haven't waxed it, but it is a jeep. still no rust on it either.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
I've never heard of the electronic rust proofing before. Little research basically says it's a scam.

Far as not waxing it right off the bat ... that has to do with the clear/paint possibly not being fully cured. To some extent it's an old wives tale. You don't want to wax fresh paint. But a new car rarely has fresh paint.
Wax away. It won't hurt or help anything right now.

·
Shiny Metal Titanium
3,647 Posts
Depends on when the cars manufactured I suppose. I'm unsure about my manufacture date but I know it was delivered the week before I bought it.

But telling you to not wax it is kind of dumb. How does waxing it affect it anyways

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
With the three cars I've owned so far I've never waxed any of them at all. Actually barely ever took 'em to a car wash either, unless it was caked in salt during the winter. Despite the "abuse" I've never had chipping or rust issues. The only damage I've gotten was through gravel getting kicked up by trucks on the turnpike, which is going to happen anyway whether you wax or not.

I thought I'd offer my two cents so people don't get super paranoid about thinking that they need to wax the hell out of their car. Newer cars don't start crumbling apart like they did in the '70s and '80s. You probably won't find any car being sold today without some form of galvanized steel underneath.

I guess if you want extra piece of mind you can go ahead and wax. It definitely doesn't hurt. Wax is wax. Layering up on extra coatings isn't going to damage anything (it's going to wear out over time anyway). They might just be saying it to help you save some money.

EDIT: I know it's already a done deal, but the dealership "rust protection" stuff is usually very gimmicky. I'm not saying there aren't legit ways of offering extra rust protection. But unless you plan to race your car on some salt flats you're just not going to need it. Rinsing all the salt and crap off in the winter once in a while is all you really need.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
not waxing it for 5 years is going to do nothing but make it rust faster. electronic rust proofing sounds like BS to me i work in a body shop im sure i would have heard of it if it worked. that would also explain why so many 5 to 10 year old ford come in out of our shop for rust repair. the past couple months we've had atleast 1 at all time i currently have a escape a f250 and a jeep cherokee. factory rust proofing blows they dont even seam seal the panel edges so of course water builds up thre and it rusts right throgh within a few years. newer cars rust out faster than tey did in the 70s and 80s or for that matter the 90s. ive got a 42 ford that sits outside and has been since before my focus was even made, the focus rockers are gone yet the 42 has nothing more than surface rust in a few small spots. they just dont make them like they used to

·
Registered
96 Posts
Electronic rust proofing is BS. They used this same scam years ago. I guess it's time to try it on a new generation who has never heard of it.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
Lead-based paint probably has a lot to do with the extra protection of those older cars. With newer cars using more environmentally friendly water-based paint, you just don't have that added protection anymore. Any rust you do see on newer cars is still surface and cosmetic crap... so again it's not like they're falling apart. Anything that's important structurally is still protected with galvanized steel. And there isn't a reputable manufacturer out there which doesn't come with a decent rust protection warranty, which goes well beyond the average lifetime of the vehicle.

·
because race car
1,948 Posts
wax it when the water stops beading like anything else

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
Lead-based paint probably has a lot to do with the extra protection of those older cars. With newer cars using more environmentally friendly water-based paint, you just don't have that added protection anymore. Any rust you do see on newer cars is still surface and cosmetic crap... so again it's not like they're falling apart. Anything that's important structurally is still protected with galvanized steel. And there isn't a reputable manufacturer out there which doesn't come with a decent rust protection warranty, which goes well beyond the average lifetime of the vehicle.
dude you need to do your homework. i have a couple thousand pound pile of fenders and hoods etc. that were replaced due to rusting all the way through, if it was just surface rust i wouldnt have replaced it but repaired instead but if its thin enough to break through and be a hole it gets replaced and 90% of them are under 10 years old so yes they are falling apart. and ford no longer has a rust warranty as far as i know., my focus had it but it was 8 year iirc, but according to the stealership and all the paperwork i could find my moms 06 fusion has nothing of the sort. your kidding yourself if you think galvanizing is gonna make a car last forever first scratch to the coating adn its over

·
Registered
724 Posts
According to the Warranty on my 2012 Focus damage due to environmental effects (bird turds, tree sap, etc) is covered 12 months or 12000 miles. Rust through is cover 5 years unlimited mileage. Surface rust due to normal usage is not covered.

The vehicles being made these days are light years better than what was being produced in the 60's and 70's. This due to improved designs that provide better drainage, sheet metal with corrosion resistant coatings, and improved paint/primers.

Waxing your car provides an extra barrier to protect the paint from environmental damage such as bird turds, tree sap, and UV damage not to mention cleaning the surface to make it look better. The old check for water beading up is a good indicator to when to wax.

I am continually amazed at how long the paint jobs on cars last these days. It's not unusual to see paint jobs that are 15 years or more old that still look great.

These coatings the dealers offer are gimmicks and are no better than a wax job you can do yourself. There has been dozens of articles written that prove it.

·
Bunneh Fanatic
2,187 Posts
dude you need to do your homework. i have a couple thousand pound pile of fenders and hoods etc. that were replaced due to rusting all the way through, if it was just surface rust i wouldnt have replaced it but repaired instead but if its thin enough to break through and be a hole it gets replaced and 90% of them are under 10 years old so yes they are falling apart.
Sorry, I don't know what you're doing to your cars to get yourself into that condition. I've abused the hell out of mine and I haven't managed to get any rust to form on any of my panels. My driver side door has also been scratched down to the metal within the first month of ownership, and yet still has no sign of rust after 3 years. I guess results may vary? And to my knowledge practically every manufacturer today offers a perforation warranty.

and ford no longer has a rust warranty as far as i know., my focus had it but it was 8 year iirc, but according to the stealership and all the paperwork i could find my moms 06 fusion has nothing of the sort. your kidding yourself if you think galvanizing is gonna make a car last forever first scratch to the coating adn its over
Nothing is "rust proof". Anything made out of metal will rust away with enough time. Galvanized steel uses zinc to prolong the life of the car's frame and make it resistant to rust. It lasts well beyond the average lifetime of the car. Depending on the manufacturer, the body panels themselves might not have this added protection (only the frame itself).

As I mentioned earlier the reason why your older cars had less rust on the body panels was because of the fact that it used lead-based paint. Newer cars use water-based paint and don't have that extra protection.

HOWEVER, older cars don't have the benefit of the galvanized steel frame. Meaning the frame itself could be rotting away while the outside looks like it's in perfect condition. I don't know about you but I'd rather replace outside panels every 15-20 yrs than to deal with a rusting frame. Good luck with that.

·
Titular Wit Here
5,205 Posts
I know I live in California so my knowledge of rust is limited, but the only cars I've ever owned that had rust were older. A 1977 Cadillac, and a 1968 Plymouth. Both had known areas where rust would and could form, and by gosh, mine were rusty in those places. Both had vinyl tops and the Cadillac's was even padded with foam. Talk about your guarantee of retaining water against the metal of the car. I haven't owned a car with any rust since I moved up into cars built in the 1980s or later.

I concur with Dgc333 that today's paint seems to hold up surprisingly well. They finally got over that hump of perfecting the newer formulations. Usually about the only new or newer cars I see with failing paint are Mitsubishis. I suspect that is a combination of cheap paint and the fact that Mitsubishis tend to attract buyers who don't care or can't afford, to maintain their vehicle.

·
slow
1,734 Posts
You wax a car to protect the paint, so if you don't care about having a nice looking clearcoat, don't wax the car. Car's have come a long ways in rust protection.

Personally, I would wax the car so it continues to look good, and is easier to wash. For a michigan car (lived there for 23 years) I would be more concerned with the rust eating away the underside of the car, like siezing up all the bolts in the rear suspension like the focus.

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Auto Washing & Detailing"

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
geuss i should clarify i work in a body shop and have a large number of cars come in and out of my shop hence the huge scrap pile. i see cars every day that are relatively new and rotting away already. currently have an 06 escape 01 f250 and 01 cherokee sport in for rust repairs. better drainage on new cars is a joke, they use tiny holes in rockers and doors which get clogged hold water and cause rust. the rockers on many cars including most fords and dodge caravans are filled with foam everywhere except around drainage hole which seems to absorb the water and hold it there so it just makes things worse. you guys that are saying you have no rust problems what so ever must live somewhere where they do not salt the roads. around here most new cars start to develop some sort of rust fairly early in their lives, mainly on hood, rocker panels, and wheel wells
AZDAMAY i agree with the mitsubishi thing. we had an 06 eclipse recently and the paint didnt look bad and wasnt peeling or nothing but i was kinda disappointed in the quality of the paint job alot of over spray for factory paint. had to replace a strut on it and i could tell the color of the car it came from because it was covered in green overspray.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts