Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I copy pasted this from the other thread to this because i figured more people would look at it since my post is old and who bothers to reading boring old posts like that, plus i need this question answered rather fast by many people as opposed to maybe one person in a couple days...ANYWAYS

So im bouncing through a lot of options right now, the engine I bought has problems of its own and needs some diagnosing, maybe you guys can help:

It idles okay but has absolutely no power through the RPM range. Part of this is because my exhaust system is clogged up heavily with oil from Downpipe to exhausted tip but maybe its cuz of something else too. Also, there is an extremely bad rattling sound coming from under the valve cover. It is not a ticking but a rattling sound, coming from the side closest to the intake manifold. My mechanic thinks it may be a bad bearing for the cam or something, i agree, it sounds just like a bad bearing. Also while slowing during downshift, the sound is extremely audible.

Hopefully its some common problem I have no knowledge of that can be fixed for under 400$ Any ideas?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts
damn how did i know this was gonna be your thread willy....lol

when you say no power what do you mean?? is it running rough?? missing? sputtering?? do u have a check engine light??

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
#1 Do not run the car any more.
The rattling can not be good and could very well take the new engine out. I'm thinking valve lash is waaaay off.

If the exhaust is full of oil spray from the last engine I'd imagine the O2 sensors are dead. They don't like liquids of any kind and will fail if in contact with them. I'd replace them.

What kind of oil pressure did your gauge say at idle? Did it even read any?
What kind of oil are you using?
What parts from the old engine went into this one (mechanical)?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The engine is running really rough, but im thinking that is just because the exhaust is all backed up. My o2 sensors are indeed dead and giving me a check engine light, how much do they cost and where do i get them?

I did a compression test, which came out around 155, which is really good and rules out any valve problems. The sound is not a ticking but a loose rattling which also rules out a valve problem.

The only part recycled from the old engine was the upper oil pan housing, which i dont think would cause any problems, either way it was flushed clean and serviced before being put on.

We have not taken the valve cover off yet, that is the next thing to do which will probably yield some answers.

im just trying to gauge what it is because my mechanic wants another 3 to 400 to look for and fix the problem and knowing what it is could save me some money... im already 2400 in the hole on this.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I am guessing you did not get a warranty with the motor.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so ive fixed all of the exhaust problems, engine was running really weak because there was a clogged injector too, i used some fuel system cleaner and it helped almost immediately.

Im still having problems with power a bit, there is just nothing there where it should be. Im thinking the rattling is coming from the intake manifold, is there anything in there that could come loose and rattle around? Also, right around 3500-4000 RPM the rattling sound starts to get REALLY loud, thats right around the time the runner should be opening up, so im thinking its in there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts