Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This news article has nothing related to Ford or its DCT plans, but thought it would be an interesting read as many of us here are owners of a car with DCT technology.

My point for adding this article to the MK3 section is for owners whom think that Ford is the only manufacturer dealing with unhappy North American Focus/Fiesta DCT owners. This article is proof that the others who offer or are planning on offering DCT technology in their vehicles in North America are well aware of the negative press and customer feedback.

Honda and Volkswagen have fired the opening salvos in a gearbox war which aims to restore the customer appeal of dual clutch transmissions. This move is especially timely in North America, where a new generation of super-smooth eight- and nine-speed planetary units from suppliers such as ZF have eroded the perceived advantages of DCTs in terms of sophisticated shifting. DCTs have also suffered from bad press and negative customer feedback, with drivers accustomed to silky-smooth torque converter automatics complaining that DCTs are unacceptably jerky in low-speed maneuvering and slow off the line when accelerating from rest.

Volkswagen, with less of a strict focus on the North American market, has chosen to stay with its established dual wet clutch formula and add a further three speeds to its DQ500 DCT to bring the total ratio count to ten.

The six engineers authoring Honda’s technical paper on the new eight-speed DCT list sporty driving feel, top-level fuel economy and compatibility of installation as the principal priorities in the design of their new transmission. Among the positive points about current DCTs, they cite “the balance of environmental performance with the elements that make driving fun,” but acknowledge the problems of clutch-based systems in standing starts and low-speed jerkiness, a very sensitive point in the US.

Article link http://drivelinenews.com/transmissi...er&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=December2014

·
Registered
520 Posts
This news article has nothing related to Ford or its DCT plans, but thought it would be an interesting read as many of us here are owners of a car with DCT technology.

My point for adding this article to the MK3 section is for owners whom think that Ford is the only manufacturer dealing with unhappy North American Focus/Fiesta DCT owners. This article is proof that the others who offer or are planning on offering DCT technology in their vehicles in North America are well aware of the negative press and customer feedback.

Honda and Volkswagen have fired the opening salvos in a gearbox war which aims to restore the customer appeal of dual clutch transmissions. This move is especially timely in North America, where a new generation of super-smooth eight- and nine-speed planetary units from suppliers such as ZF have eroded the perceived advantages of DCTs in terms of sophisticated shifting. DCTs have also suffered from bad press and negative customer feedback, with drivers accustomed to silky-smooth torque converter automatics complaining that DCTs are unacceptably jerky in low-speed maneuvering and slow off the line when accelerating from rest.

Volkswagen, with less of a strict focus on the North American market, has chosen to stay with its established dual wet clutch formula and add a further three speeds to its DQ500 DCT to bring the total ratio count to ten.

The six engineers authoring Honda’s technical paper on the new eight-speed DCT list sporty driving feel, top-level fuel economy and compatibility of installation as the principal priorities in the design of their new transmission. Among the positive points about current DCTs, they cite “the balance of environmental performance with the elements that make driving fun,” but acknowledge the problems of clutch-based systems in standing starts and low-speed jerkiness, a very sensitive point in the US.

Article link http://drivelinenews.com/transmissi...er&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=December2014
It seems that both VW and Honda are deploying a wet clutch variant. I read in a previous article that Honda, for now, has no plans on bringing the DCT concept to their compact cars (their DCT will be reserved for their mid sized vehicles). I am still a fan of the DCT, but we'll see where Ford goes with this. I hope they stick with it. I think that is why Honda has been so successful with their CVT. They steadily improved it to the point where it is pretty much an acceptable tranny for their customers.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I am under the impression that the Mk4 Focus (estimated for 2018 model year?) would go with the joint Ford - GM X speed transaxle. However, we're probably too far out for it to be more than pure speculation.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I am under the impression that the Mk4 Focus (estimated for 2018 model year?) would go with the joint Ford - GM X speed transaxle. However, we're probably too far out for it to be more than pure speculation.
I think that transmission is destined for larger cars/SUVs like the Fusion, Escape, Taurus, etc., but we'll see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Acura TLX, which is using the new Honda DCT, is the first production car to use a DCT mated to a torque converter. It is supposed to provide smooth shifting at lower speeds.

However if you browse the Acura forums you will seem threads upon threads regarding DCT issues.

Also from what I've heard, the 9 speed auto being developed by Ford and GM will not be going in the Focus due to weight. It will be in the Fusion and larger.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The Acura TLX, which is using the new Honda DCT, is the first production car to use a DCT mated to a torque converter. It is supposed to provide smooth shifting at lower speeds.

However if you browse the Acura forums you will seem threads upon threads regarding DCT issues.

Also from what I've heard, the 9 speed auto being developed by Ford and GM will not be going in the Focus due to weight. It will be in the Fusion and larger.
But, they may develop a smaller version based on this one after.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Maybe they should just put a CVT in the Focus :D

Then, it will be both more awkward and unreliable!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I don't know. We seem to have quite a few on this forum pleading for a CVT equipped Focus.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Learn to drive manual guys. Even my GF does drive a standard. If you have a problem with the gear change, you will be the only one to blame.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Do you have a link?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Never mind. Found it. Wow. If I didn't know better, I would have thought I was reading a FF thread about the Ford DCT. I think that while there were legitimate issues with the FF DCT, comparing the DCT with an AT will leave some disappointed no matter what.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The reality is all manufactures have issues be it DCT , brakes or what ever
IMO it comes down to how effectively they deal with the repairs and customers

·
Registered
401 Posts
My mother had a Saturn with CVT and I can assure you that very few on this forum would be happy with one it was odd and slow.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Driving a CVT is boring. Boring is Corolla and Civic, not Focus...
Oh, I hate them. Awkward and unreliable. I will stick to manual transmissions and conventional Toyota automatics. If I wanted an automatic transmission that lasted 50K miles, I'd just buy a Chrysler product haha.

·
Registered
378 Posts

No kidding hey, but rumor has it that after 2021 CVT may find its place in Focus, because Getrag will stop producing DCTs.
And no way new Ford-GM 8-9-10 speed automatic will end up in Focus as its going to be big and heavy and expensive too!

·
-----<M>-----
2,724 Posts
No kidding hey, but rumor has it that after 2021 CVT may find its place in Focus, because Getrag will stop producing DCTs.And no way new Ford-GM 8-9-10 speed automatic will end up in Focus as its going to be big and heavy and expensive too!
Wrong. Getrag will stop producing DRY clutch DCTs.

Does this mean dry clutch DCTs are finished?
I cannot speak for our competitors, but our new generation of DCTs at Getrag will be 100 percent wet clutch. However, our current [dry clutch] 6DCT250 is one of the very best for fuel efficiency and it will stay on the market for another six to eight years.

- Getrag CTO, Feb 2014

1 - 20 of 78 Posts