Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted a bit around the forum, but it is time to introduce my new-to-me 2004 ZX5 D23. I bought it last night from the 2nd owner for a measly $1400. It isn't perfect as it has its fair share of dents, parking lot brawls and scratches. It has similar acorn dents on the hood as my old BMW X5. [rofl] The interior is in perfect condition with no tears and 100% original down to the radio.

Mechanically, it isn't perfect but will be a great daily driver for the winter. I scanned the car when I test drove it and it gave me a P0302 code for a misfire, it also felt like it had a miss when I drove it. This morning, I cleared the code, swapped the ignition coils, and voila, the code moved to P0303. I've got a coil, plugs and oil/filter ready for it when all the parts come in. I'll then give the car another good drive before I start figuring out what else needs work on the car motor-wise. The tires are mismatched Tigerpaws and Uniroyals, and need to be re-balanced to get rid of a highway vibration. All-in-all, I think I picked up a great Focus with 116k miles for a steal of a price.

And some of my old cars, namely BMW's.
My old X5 that I gave back to my parents. Was my primary driver before I picked up the Focus.

My old M5 that I sold to my cousin after my freshman year in college. Dreamy V8 sound with my Britalman exhaust and x-pipe. I still am sad I let it go, but it was too nice of a car for college and for a 19 year-old.

Bought my 318ti immediately after selling my M5. I caught the autocross bug with the M5 and needed a new car to fill its place. I wanted an E36 BMW and this was the only good one on CL within my budget. I jumped on it too early and for too much as it isn't a great STX competitor. It has been relatively maintenance free after I redid the worn out 18 year old suspension. I still have it at school in St. Louis.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Your going to enjoy the foci & the mods you do to it.....

·
br/o/stang
5,563 Posts
i dig the ti. and good buy on the zx5. best engine and trans combo [thumb]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I was originally looking to buy a car and flip this winter for extra income. However, I bought one of the best drivetrains for autocross, and I want to keep the Focus!

On the short list if I do keep it and prep for H Street:
Koni Yellows
Eibach 25mm rear sway
Rota's in stock size and the cheapest sticky tires in a good size (RS3s, Z2s, Rivals, T1Rs)
Whatever maintenance items that need touching up on

This list looks to add up to $2k, and is easily doable on my college budget. Even easier if I sell the 318 without much loss.

I guess you guys can stay tuned for a possible upcoming build in the spring. For now, I'll just keep updating this thread through the winter with what I do to fix it. The next update will be in a few days once I have my new coil in and do an oil change. It'll stay parked until then as I drive the X5.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just going to keep on updating this thread on what goes on with my Focus. I won't start another build thread until I know I'm keeping it.

Finally got my ignition coil in from Rock Auto. Spent 5 minutes putting it in and now the car runs smoothly. My IMRC is still making tons of noise, but otherwise the motor purrs. Sometime this weekend, I'll do an oil change with Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filter.

I finally have a new daily to drive instead of using my parents' 12 mpg BMW X5. [headbang]

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
IMRC making noise, sounds like its time to replace the i/m & w/ the manifold off, replace the pcv hose too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, if I find a cheap manifold that doesn't make any noise, that will be the plan. I'll just keep browsing the classifieds here until one pops up. Don't want to spend more than $50 on a new intake manifold.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hope you enjoy your new ride!

·
Multi-Focusing
3,868 Posts
1400 bucks is awesome...lol. Just love deals like that.

That D23 is a hoot to drive.

Welcome to FF [drinking]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Working on it is a breeze too. Did the spark plugs and an oil change to it today. Replaced the Motorcraft Iridium plugs with ACDelco copper plugs since I couldn't find the Autolite A103 plugs you guys prefer at my local Pepboys. Here is a shot of how the old plugs looked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I decided to stay in SCCA STX class due to the amount of competition in my local regions. Even though I have high hopes that this car could be a STF top runner, I'm not the person to do it. Once I get 25 posts, it is going up for sale on the classifieds here. It is also going to be on Craigslist and various other autox forums, as I do want to see this car in SCCA Solo for 2015.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts