Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

Took my 2000 Focus in for a check up today. It has been idling badly on startup in the extreme cold (down to -30 some mornings). The emission light came on yesterday during a bad spell.

They have come back to tell me that the problems are due to carbon deposits building up on the valves between the stem and guides, and that the only option is to replace the cylinder head at a cost of $1000 in parts plus labor.

Surely a car on 55,000 miles shouldnt be looking at a newhead, and surely there must be other things that can be done to remove the deposits rather than replacing the head. I know Ford do not recomend use of gas treatments but do these work?

Opinions are gratefully recd, in 6 months the car has had $2000 in repairs done and I do not believe that this can be the only option available, despite the garages quote, and fords own repair release detailing this work.

Thanks for any help.

Jason

Focus LX
6 months of ownership, and only a transmission job, starter motor, ignition cylinder & keys, oil pressure switch, axle support bearing, new radio and cylinder head :O)

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
sounds like a sludge motor too me, usually caused by lack of maint. but it should not have the head replaced...only removed, go back to the dealer and see what else they say

·
Registered
123 Posts
i dont know what to say,i just hope someone can help you.as far as that stuff that u pour into the gas is concerned from what i hear it just ends up puttin wear on parts,but yall feel free to correct me if im wrong on this.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
depends on the treatment used. i just reread ur statement, bring the car to a local shop thats good if possible, have them remove the tb, head, manifold and clean everythign thouroughly, if need be they could knurl and ream the head, add larger valves and install new seals...would be much less than going through a dealer

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
Before you do anything go to another dealer and see if they give you the same answer.

Did you do proper maintenance to the car, change oil etc?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the short time I have had it yes. When I asked the ford dealer if there was anything I could have done to cause it they said no, it is a known issue that ford recognizes in cars going back to 1997.

I am going to book it in with another garage and see what they say.

I have seen on the web that some people have had similar problems in Fords when the wrong grade of oil has been used. My last oil change was a week ago, and from speaking to the garage it sounds like 5w30 was used instead of 5w20. Possibility?

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
The engine was designed to use 5W30, and then amazingly it changed to 5W20 in a year. Its only to get more MPG out of the car.

Did you try running one of those fuel addatives that claim to clean your valves and pistons?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know---- but Chrysler motors makes a very good valve and combustion area cleaner. Follow the direction on the can and it should help. Yes I know it is numbling to go to Chrysler but.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, took car to an independant garage. They have diagnosed an ignition fault involving the spark plug wires and the coil.

The work has yet to be done, but surprisingly after they looked at it, its running better, and the check engine light has now gone off and stayed off.

I am gonna replace the wires and coil this week and see how it goes, but as far as they were concerned definately no fault with the head.

We will see what happens.

Thanks all of you for your advice and input.

Jason

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
heh, I'm never gonna trust a dealership. I'll trust people who I know, and have who have done repairs on some of my friends car's. Never trust a strange mechanic, and you should only have one mechanic....if you can get a hold of a good one.

Glad to hear it was a minor problem.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
jmltapp said:
Ok, took car to an independant garage. They have diagnosed an ignition fault involving the spark plug wires and the coil.

The work has yet to be done, but surprisingly after they looked at it, its running better, and the check engine light has now gone off and stayed off.

I am gonna replace the wires and coil this week and see how it goes, but as far as they were concerned definately no fault with the head.

We will see what happens.

Thanks all of you for your advice and input.

Jason
Retarded ass dealership, you should have the work done on your car then sue the dealership for trying to defraud you or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts