Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Called the local Ford dealer today inquiring about the extended coverage on the dumpster fire of a transmission, 7 year/100k. My wife's '14 just rolled over 115k and is as herky jerky as ever and has recently started making a whining or whirring noise when shuddering from a stop. The clutches and seals were replaced once before back in 2015 at around 56k just before the factory warranty expired.

To my surprise the Service Advisor said they are actually authorized to do one freebie repair even if you're over the 7 year/100k coverage.

Small print - That offer expires February 2020....

Wife needs a loaner so it's scheduled for January 14th.

I'll give it to Ford. They are at least attempting to make things right after this engineering failure.

I still hate this car...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just took advantage of that free ‘one time’ repair about 3 weeks ago & my ‘13 is actually running very nice & smooth. I wonder how long it will drive like this until the shuddering starts up again? But as of right now, the way it’s running, I have no problem just continuing to drive it as a daily commuter. Sure, there are a lot of better vehicles out there, however it would take a lot of cash to get into one & I really hate wasting money on cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah...It'll be paid for in a few months. My car has been paid for since 2017. Nothing better than paid for vehicles, even if one of them is a shuddering, hot mess.

Hoping the 2nd clutch repair will give it a couple more years of halfway enjoyable driving. If anything, it's a good selling point if we decide to unload it.

TCM was just replaced a few months ago so that's taken care of too.

Aside from the transmission and TCM she's been a damn reliable car though. 105k and it's still on the original bulbs, battery, and front brake pads from a wear item perspective. Still shocked this 2014 econo-box doesn't have 4 wheel discs...The only thing we've had to repair, other than above trans/TCM, is the driver side, front wheel bearing. The radio is ****** though, I yanked the fuse to stop the snap, crackle, pop. The wife has a Bluetooth speaker to get her by for now.

I'll be doing the spark plugs soon, which I can't wait to do. I'm used to V8s with shit in the way so this thing will be cake. The radio will get swapped for an aftermarket in the spring when it warms up.

This journey with the DPS6 has put a sour taste in our mouths. We sure as hell won't be buying another Ford, not that I've ever been a fan personally. My wife has owned 4.

Cheers to another few weeks of shakes and jerks

·
w/ my magic bag
29,367 Posts
Get it repaired & ship it down the road for a srt8 or a '14-'17 SS........

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We need something to haul some kids around now. Got an almost 2 year old and one more coming in March/April. My '06 Cadillac STS is getting a bit long in the tooth (192k) now and is probably next in line to get replaced. The Focus is a great, little gas sipper so we might keep it for a while even though neither of us really like it all that much. I'm leaning towards a Highlander or alike, still haven't decided yet though. FCA products don't have the greatest reliability and GM is in the same boat in my opinion, other than a Tahoe/Suburban.

Granted, this is my 4th Cadillac sedan and I've had good luck with them over the years but we need an SUV and what they have to offer either isn't practical (Escalade) or I don't care for them (SRX/XT4/XT5/XT6). I like the newer generation of Explorer a lot styling wise but this experience has certainly made me not want to own another Ford.

·
Registered
127 Posts
We need something to haul some kids around now. Got an almost 2 year old and one more coming in March/April. My '06 Cadillac STS is getting a bit long in the tooth (192k) now and is probably next in line to get replaced. The Focus is a great, little gas sipper so we might keep it for a while even though neither of us really like it all that much. I'm leaning towards a Highlander or alike, still haven't decided yet though. FCA products don't have the greatest reliability and GM is in the same boat in my opinion, other than a Tahoe/Suburban.

Granted, this is my 4th Cadillac sedan and I've had good luck with them over the years but we need an SUV and what they have to offer either isn't practical (Escalade) or I don't care for them (SRX/XT4/XT5/XT6). I like the newer generation of Explorer a lot styling wise but this experience has certainly made me not want to own another Ford.
I wouldn't necessarily let one bad experience keep me from looking at other products from Ford.
I've had several Fords last well over the 200,000 - 300,000 mile mark.
My current 2.3 Duratec Focus has 285,000 and is still on the original clutch.
Only repairs have been 2 CV joints, a coil, and an A/C compressor. Never even had the cam cover off.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My daughter has a Focus 5-speed and I had the DCT. I love how hers drives so I did the swap for $750 in parts (including reprogramming hardware/software). She says mine now shifts smother than hers from the factory.

My Focus is a SEL so the shift trim ring didn't quite match. I did a carbon vinyl war on it and the peeling trim on my steering wheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got the car back today and....ZERO shudder!

Clutches were replaced at no cost. No leaks or contamination was found (we had the updated seals from clutch job #1 in 2015).

Currently at 117k so Ford threw us the one freebie above 100k.

I hate the car slightly less now. I know it's only a matter of time until it starts jerking again but it's so much better for the moment. Glad I called in to check on the extended coverage! Didn't think they'd do anything outside of 100k.

Side note, got an '18 Escape SE Ecoboost as a loaner...No thanks on that thing. Rode rough, tons of road noise, small cabin, road feel was awful. Absolutely would not buy one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts