Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the engine has to come out to change the clutch in the zetec.

=) Anybody know if this is true.[confused]

·
Registered
875 Posts
The engine is mounted transversely, I don't see how that could be true...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I really don't think that's true.

·
Registered
380 Posts
it actually looks like its pretty easy to get out if you have the right equipment. just have to remover a few things but not the engine..

·
Registered
816 Posts
I still don't think the labor will be cheap when the clutch goes, but not nearly as bad as if the engine had to come out.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good question. I'd actually like to know the answer ot that one myself. Also, how do you know when the clutch is going? (This is my first manual.)

·
Registered
875 Posts
They can last the life of the car with *normal* driving.

I have one friend with a 1993 Probe GT. He used the stock clutch for 8 years -- and certainly wasn't *nice* to it.

Another friend is going on 124,000 miles with a stock unit, again, not being nice to it. By that I mean, autocross, hard driving, etc.

·
Registered
875 Posts
awebb said:
Also, how do you know when the clutch is going? (This is my first manual.)
You'll know the clutch is slipping when you press the clutch to change gears, let it out, and the revs fall Very slowly.

·
Registered
388 Posts
awebb said:
Good question. I'd actually like to know the answer ot that one myself. Also, how do you know when the clutch is going? (This is my first manual.)
a slipping clutch is the most common problem....

during accelleration if you see the RPM's revving up but you don't get the accelleration to go along with it chances are your clutch is slipping....

when the time comes you should go with a good streetable aftermarket clutch, many times an aftermarket one is cheaper than the OEM also..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts