Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed today I had a puddle of brake fluid on the floor, so I went and had to borrow some money to replace my clutch master cylinder. Lost 3 hours of work installing the new one.

On my way home from work tonight I noticed my foot was soaked. I thought at first maybe the old crap was just dripping off the pedal. But there was fresh fluid, and a lot of it. The best I can do is swap it out for the same one, but I am afraid of that happening again. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Take the one you just bought back?

Check for the source first of course, though I doubt it would be from the outside connections.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's leaking quite a lot inside, I'm just hoping I can at least drive it back to my work and swap it there. I might have to try gravity bleeding it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I stripped this little bolt, it won't go in past that for, so I can't put the clip on inside car. How important is this?

·
Registered
753 Posts
What do you mean "I can't put the clip on inside car." ?

You need to check where the leak is coming from exactly. Clean it all up and check for source of leak as sailor suggest.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done all that already, this is a new unit I spent today installing. Yeah there's like a horse sore clip on the inside of the car right there.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I can't put the clip on because it clips to this screw on the inside of the car, which this part is stripped out

·
Registered
753 Posts
Okay so the logical thing to do is get a new cylinder and bolt.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hmm, maybe I should ask what exactly are you asking for help with cause I suppose I am lost.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This bolt actually threads to the firewall, to hold that rubber cover on. But the bolt also serves another purpose, where it goes through the center of that master cylinder piece, there's a clip that grabs this screw on the inside of the car. I'm wondering how important it is because it's stripped so I can't get the clip on it on the inside of the car. It is still mounted securely to the bracket on the pedal assembly though

·
Registered
753 Posts
Is the clip stripped or the bolt?
If bolt, replace it.
If clip, you could try bending it or just put a nut on it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bolt itself. But I'm worried the threading in the firewall is too. If that's the case I'm fuxed. I'll start with a new bolt but I have no ride to the store lol.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If the threading in the firewall is messed up too then you could tap it or put in another bolt that is slightly smaller and longer with a nut and washer on it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah touche, that would be a project for another day. I wonder if I can go without for a little bit.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, back up for a minute. The new faulty one I bought, where you can unthread the plunger, it should have been sitting flush, this one wouldn't sit flush to the body. My second new one does though. I'm hoping this one is ok..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After some buttoning up, I found a bolt that fit perfect, got that taken care and then did some one man bleeding, runs great now, so far no leaks.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Well I have two problems. 1, I can't seem to get the clutch back to normal even though I keep bleeding it and there are no bubbles coming out, and 2, after all that it looks like the new one is leaking! I'm so mad right now after spending all that time messing with it in the cold the last couple of days.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the new one is leaking then you won't get it right because it's not holding pressure. What one did you buy?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts