Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ZX3 on Friday, drove all weekend, and Monday the CEL came on. Took it to Autozone today and scanned it and turns out its a bad cat. Now I`ve been looking at long tube headers and the shorty headers, and trying to match up an exhaust with them, but I haven`t had a chance to jack the car up yet and look to see how the whole system is run. How would I go about doing the long tube, with a cat due to emissions in my county, and full exhaust? Would I have to get a universal and have it fabbed up? I`d much rather get a true bolt on system cat and all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
SVT Header or Ebay SVT knock off with do, you can get Find a SVT CAT and flex pipe to go with it, have a exhaust shop weld in a spot for your EGR on the header. It will be one of the best power modifications done. You will need a tune, svt dipstick and powersteering line. You could go get regerstered in Michigan and not have to worry about emmisions, then you could get an Off road pipe and block off the EGR system and it would be cheaper and faster.

DO NOT GET SHORTY HeADERs

Make DECISION NOW IF YOU WANT TO GO TURBO AS YOU COULD START FABING A HEADER AND EXHAUST SYSTEM WHICH COULD BE USED BOTH WITH YOUR TURBO and N/a with just blocking off a few holes.

·
Registered
279 Posts
an extended warrenty on a 10 year old car......I hope it is cheap because stock parts on Rock Auto for this car go for pennies

If you plan on putting any money into modifcations to this car, know that it will be a project car, you will not get your money back in it, and you must enjoy driving it.

That being said, it can be a fun car and it is rewarding to build your own car, and this car is easy to work on, But Back to your turbo build....it will take some research because kits for these cars are scarce. But will the right shopping you can make the car a monster for cheap. 2-4 grand 2-400HP

·
Super Moderator
9,573 Posts
If you plan on going turbo later down the road, save your money on the long tube headers and just replace your catalytic converter with an aftermarket unit that you can find at most auto parts stores for about $150-$180.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was just a cheap 7 month warranty on engine and trans....i`ve learned most used cars bought from a dealership have major problems within the first 6 months. Side note, dealership will probably replace the cat for free because of it, and because i just got the car less than a week ago.[woot]

·
Registered
221 Posts
it was just a cheap 7 month warranty on engine and trans....i`ve learned most used cars bought from a dealership have major problems within the first 6 months. Side note, dealership will probably replace the cat for free because of it, and because i just got the car less than a week ago.[woot]
Lucky you. I just payed my shop $350 (that includes labor) to change mine out to a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.