Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive just got a new 03 focus and id like to know what to mod. ive already ordered an intake and im planning to order a fs crankpulley, is this a good buy? another questionwill buying nology plug wires really help performance and is it worth the $150. any other suggestions for mods. im on a college student budget and i have bout $1000 saved to spend on my car right now. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also i was wondering if a flywheel would be a first good investment to make the engine feel more lively or is it not worth the cost

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
not worth it at this point in your modding process. with $1000, i'd suggest some aftermarket springs (H&R Sport Springs, 1.5" drop (settles to 2.0"f/1.9"r), $200), exhaust (i'd recommend Thermal, $400), intake (Volant, or AEM CAI, $250), underdrive pulley (i'd recommend Esslinger or FocusSport, $100), and use the $50 bucks towards the gas you'll be using once you get your mods on, cause you'll wanna just keep driving around and around and around. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks sciron! do u have any sug to save up for after those mods. i get 100 a month from my parents for spending money but im going to save it for my car

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
get those mods done FIRST. then worry about other things, man. trust me. one thing at a time, or else you'll be all over the place with mods, getting yellow race stripes and spinner hubcaps. lol. go slow... one thing at a time.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
shit dude for 1k just look at my mods list in my sig that was almost exactly 1k

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I may make a suggestion, being as I too own a very new Focus and have begun making a few mods.

If the handling is at all a concern to you (the Focus is already one of, if not the best handling car in its class), leave the springs alone. If you're not gonna do struts / stabilizer bars with them, you'll be more upset with the results than happy. Classic bouncy Honda syndrom. Unless of course your only goal is to lower the car, then by all means. Although in that case I'd suggest having your stock springs adjusted to maintain the proper spring rate (matched to the stock struts).

Back to the handling. Grab a set of high end tires, even close to stock 15" specs, (I chose 205-55-R15) The car turns into a go-kart really quick. I'm not saying there's nothing better, but a respectable handling car just got a WHOLE LOT more FUN to throw into a corner real quick without the stock tires trying to fold over!

About the flywheel, interesting idea. I was very strongly considering the same thing as a first "performance" upgrade, although I have yet to find an aftermarket flywheel that isn't aluminum (will eventually fail), and that isn't drastically lighter (50%) than stock. BTW, I know that weight doesn't have everything to do with a flywheel's mass moment of inertia (I think that's the correct term, it's been a while), although, if they're pulling 50% of its mass out of it, it has to be coming from somewhere!

So, after that novel, I'm sure I'm gonna have some people telling me that I don't know what I"m talking about, but I felt I should share what I've picked up on the topic.

And about the new car smell, best of luck! There's nothin like it![thumb]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If you want power, get an AFX crank pulley(100), best crank pulley you can get, or the 2pc focus central UDP(120) set. For an intake, Volant(250) is the choice favorate, and mine. OR iceman(200). Don't get the nology power wires, biggest waste of money you can spend. You can't get power from just new wires, if you want some better looking ones, that'll help smoothen out your idle, just get some ford racing 9mm's for 40 bucks. A new flywheel would not only, not help, but it wouldn't probably make things worse. You need a lot of power to need a new one, you'll end up getting a terrible chatter and a bad idle, save the money. I rec. volant intake (250), focus central 65mm throttle body(200-250), trubendz exhaust w/ borla muffler (295), or a magnaflow exhaust (240 off ebay) and maybe some nice drop springs. Eibach pro's are good, 1.5, H&R's are even better. If you have any questions feel free to ask! no nology's, no fly wheel, no no no!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd have to agree with sciron, get some of more basic stuff done then go from there.

One thing I'd recommend, if you don't want to lower it just yet, spend the 250 on a new throttle body. I just got mine tonight, going to install it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
i'd recommend trubendz exhaust ($285), focus central intake (200), trubendz flexpipe (160), some kind of cat upgrade (either elminate it or get a high flow) (150-250), and a 65 mm throttle body (275). that way you will have your exhaust and intake opened up. (that might be a bit over)

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Yes, a FC 65mm TB is the shiznit. I finally got mine on this afternoon. It is a mod that you will definitly notice.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Ive heard some ill shít about ebay. they sell som cheap immitation crap on there somtimes. Id play it safe and order from a dealer with a good rep. to uphold. nothin worse than gettin ripped of buyin your first mod.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good deals can be had on ebay, but you have to put in a little time and do some research.... just like everything else... Research the seller find someone who has bought this or something else from them... A lot of businesses sell the items from their stores on ebay for less than in their stores because they have less overhead, and therefor don't need to make as much on it.
It's worth the effort sometimes... Just my$.02

1 - 17 of 17 Posts