Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one of those "I'm stupid" kind of threads. I'm pushing fifty, but my FoFo is the first car that I've ever purchased NEW. I just topped 1,000 miles and have been noticing some of the AT issues already covered in other threads, so, I figure I should go get the TSB re-programming done. All well and good.

But I'm also curious:

When should I get the oil changed the first time? Sorry if the manual said something and I missed it (I actually DID read the thing). In olden times I recall that this was a very important thing to have done w/ new cars rather early; say, 1000 or 1500 miles or something. Possibly b/c of the risk of metal shavings entering the crankcase from not-quite-perfectly-deburred machined parts having to rub against each other for the first time??? Maybe this is something automakers have solved between the Stone Age and today. I dunno.

Also, are there any other tweaks or checks that I should think about soon?

Thanks in advance, and as always, please forgive a noob his idiot question. Probably not even thread-worthy, but here we are.

[wrenchin]

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The first oil change debate.

Yeah a lot of discussions on when to do the first oil change.
Mine was at 1,000mi and i found i did not have a tool to take off the tight oil filter, so I just left it, and just put in Mobil One 0W20 Advanced Fuel Economy Oil.
Then, naturally that gave me an excuse to do a second oil change at 2,000mi and change the filter also.
So now i figure I am set for awhile.

If you do it yourself be aware the fibrous underbody shield has to be taken off.

And if taken to a fast lube place, make certain they put it back on!

So others say just do it when the Ford manual says at 10,000mi
That is a LONG wait. (stuff used to say change it often, now the pendulum is change it seldom.. I do my own, and do it often because i am an 'old folks'.
Or, take the middle ground and do the first one at 3,000mi.
Then every 5,000mi to 7,000mi...
Or feel free to wait the full 10,000mi if you want to help save the planet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. Sorry again I missed the manual's recommendation.

Should have mentioned, I bought the FoFo from a dealer that offers free oil changes for life, so, I figured "2 birds one stone" with the AT TSB if I needed to change the oil soon. But if the manual sez 10k then I'm sure the dealer won't do it (free) sooner than that. I guess I might do it myself at 3k or something in that case...

FWIW the dealer also washes the car for free every time it's there for service. And it's a little dirty now ...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know the service manager at my dealer(British Columbia)Canada the manual says 12000 kms, he said do it at 7000 kms because of the terrain in BC lots o mountains hills and stuff. He also said Ford uses a special additive that they use for break in period. So early oil changes are not recommended. Just saying.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Always the first one at 1,000 miles (for me). I just did the second change at 5,000 and will do them every 5,000 miles now so my oil change and tire rotation is on the same schedule. If you print the super fuel saver coupon from the ford owner site it only costs $40 for an oil change with motorcraft semi or full synthetic (can't remember) and filter and rotation. Why anyone would take their FoFo to quick lube place when you can get it done by Ford trained techs at the same or lower price is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
When I changed my all-seasons for winter tires, I asked the service manager when should I come to change the oil. He said : in 6 month or 12000 km. (see owner's guide, page 386). I usually changed the oil on my last car at 6000-7000 km so it's a change in my habits, but why not ?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I had mine changed in our new Titanium HB a little over 3,000. The dealer said I could go the recommended 5,000 before changing but the old habit of changing break-in oil at 1,500 made me cautious. I now go to 7,500 based upon the recommendation in the book and our driving habits.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My dealer gave me a coupon and appointment to come back for an oil change at 6,000 miles. Sounds reasonable for my highway driving.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The manual says change it every 10k or when the computer tells you to; not any sooner. In the break-in section it states things like no cruise control and avoid steady rpms, Don't red line it, etc.. but it doesn't say change the oil anywhere. Again, it says wait until your 10k is up (not 5k or even 7500). Not that it will hurt to be cautious but I'm very skeptical that there's any benefit to it at all. That's what oil filters are for.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
The manual says change it every 10k or when the computer tells you to; not any sooner....Again, it says wait until your 10k is up (not 5k or even 7500). Not that it will hurt to be cautious but I'm very skeptical that there's any benefit to it at all. That's what oil filters are for.
It doesn't say don't change it any sooner. It gives 3 different schedules based on driving conditions. 3,000-4,999 miles, 5,000-7,499 miles, and 7,500-10,000 miles. I'll never wait for the oil life monitor to tell me when to change the oil. Don't forget any filter can only hold so much crap. The benefit of NOT waiting until the oil life monitor says it's time is keeping clean oil in the engine which translates to a longer lasting engine. I can't wait to see how many are Found On Road Dead at 80,000 because they always wait for the car to tell them it's time for an oil change. Sometimes common sense beats out the computer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My dealer gave me a coupon and appointment to come back for an oil change at 6,000 miles. Sounds reasonable for my highway driving.
Same number my dealer gave me too (and he gave me a coupon as well).

·
Registered
882 Posts
The manual says change it every 10k or when the computer tells you to; not any sooner. In the break-in section it states things like no cruise control and avoid steady rpms, Don't red line it, etc.. but it doesn't say change the oil anywhere. Again, it says wait until your 10k is up (not 5k or even 7500). Not that it will hurt to be cautious but I'm very skeptical that there's any benefit to it at all. That's what oil filters are for.
If you wait until the computer tells you too you'll be waiting until the tow truck is pulling you to the dealership.

Car computers are notoriously horrific at notifying drivers when the oil is low. Absolutely never trust them for anything. I was part of a mission to give free oil changes in lesser-privileged areas and I'd say about 25% of the cars that came in had less than 1 quart of oil remaining in the car...and not a single oil light amongst them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
The oil light is an OIL Pressure light, This car has no oil level indicator.
The driver should check the oil at least once a week.
The Oil change reminder does not check for low oil.
It basically tells you when to take the car in for a service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts