Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New Canadian member with a '12 Focus - Progress Thread

Hello everyone, new member (And new Focus owner) here.

My name's Bill, and I'm from Alberta, Canada. I was in the market for a 'new' car to take over the winter-driving duties from my ongoing project, a '92 Grand Prix SE:

While I was actually focusing on finding a '94-'01 Integra coupe, the search ultimately turned into looking for a new car instead. I work at a local Ford dealership as a detailer, so I've been able to see many 2012 Focuses up close and I really liked what I saw. I was ultimately able to find one in the body style, colour, and transmission combination I wanted-even better, it was at the dealer I worked at.

No matter what car I bought, it HAD to be manual. As far as Focuses went, I was set on Yellow Blaze, and I really liked the style of the sedan. Bingo. Coincidentally, the cheque was handed over on my birthday (22nd) and the day after my co-workers and I prepared it for delivery and I took it home. [clap]

Yellow Blaze SE sedan with a 5-speed and the Sport package.

Now, one of the reasons for going with a brand-new car was to have warranties, so voiding them is out of the question. However, I can't leave well enough alone and have started looking for minor things to change to make it a little different than other '12 Focuses in my area. So far, I've tinted the fog lights yellow with some leftover vinyl, which was used to tint the fog lights on my Grand Prix.

Before:

After:

As time passes more and more small changes will be made to the car, but regardless I'm very happy with it. It's fun to drive and with the yellow paint, really stands out against the other cars around it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Needs rims and low.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
colors growing on me. :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
I don't mind that color. Someone i work with has the same but auto, so i like your choice! Congrads and have fun!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I like it, But I think its a little strange this is your 'winter car' while your grand prix is the nice car being preserved from the winter conditions 0_o

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the welcome everyone! Yellow Blaze became my favourite colour the moment I saw it so I'm very happy I was able to find one that met my requirements. [:)]

Regarding the (I'll admit, somewhat odd) vehicles' roles, the Grand Prix is my 'toy', it's the car I work on for fun and has been undergoing changes for almost three years now. It's been a daily driver right from day one, so it has seen its fair share of our winters. I really do intend to keep it forever, and knew that sooner or later it would have to be retired from the salt, rocks, and icy roads before it was too late. The search began for a nice little Integra or similar vehicle, but ultimately ended up with a new Focus being the replacement daily driver/winter car.

By no means will the Focus be used as just a 'beater' though, but it has 19 fewer winters under its belt (That is, none) and therefore can go through many more than the GP could before problems start arising. It's been fully undercoated, rust-proofed, etc, and will be protected further before it sees any winter weather though.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've never seen a yellow sedan before. [welcome]

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
Welcome to the site, car looks good congrats on the buy. Can't wait to see more upgrades!

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks all!

I've been using it as my daily the past few days, and I must say it makes a great around-town car. The daily commute is lots of fun with it.

I'm still looking for little things to do here and there to the Focus, but I think it won't be long before the warranties are in danger. Let's hope I can control myself. [hihi]

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got bored again. Browsing the forum I saw that blacking out the chrome upper grill was becoming more common, and I really liked it. I luckily had some matte black vinyl laying around so I went ahead and wrapped the chrome pieces.

The major items on my agenda now are a clear bra on the nose, winter wheels and tires, and other items to prepare the Focus for the coming 6 months of snow. Meanwhile I'm also waiting on more parts to come out for the '12s, because (Who was I kidding) I can't leave it alone. My Grand Prix will have competition for my attention.

·
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE
8,424 Posts
I got bored again. Browsing the forum I saw that blacking out the chrome upper grill was becoming more common, and I really liked it. I luckily had some matte black vinyl laying around so I went ahead and wrapped the chrome pieces.

The major items on my agenda now are a clear bra on the nose, winter wheels and tires, and other items to prepare the Focus for the coming 6 months of snow. Meanwhile I'm also waiting on more parts to come out for the '12s, because (Who was I kidding) I can't leave it alone. My Grand Prix will have competition for my attention.
It's your car but a car bra will ruin and fade paint over time. If you are worried about rock chips and want to spend the money get the clear mask.

http://www.clearmask.com/

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
a clear bra on the nose
That's what it'll be getting. My dealership has a guy that wraps new cars as we prepare them for delivery, so I'll talk to him and get a quote.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
And now, parts!

On Wednesday I ordered a couple of things and was told to expect them next week. While I was at work on Friday however, my co-worker from parts let me know that my order had come in early. Next week I'll get to throw these on the car:

OEM front mudflaps (Not really exciting, but needed)...

...and of course, OEM Titanium fog light bezels.

Slowly but surely the Focus is starting to progress.

·
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #17
4,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Last night I went ahead and put in my Ti fog light bezels. I figured I'd take a few pictures and notes of the procedure as well, since it seems to be a common question. It's not a fool-proof step-by-step manual, but something to hopefully help.

All of this was done on my garage floor with the Focus' front wheels up on some trailer-leveling blocks. Entirely possible to do it this way, but at times it was a bit tight.

First up, the tray under the bumper has to come out. There are 6 clips and about 16 screws holding it in place.

With the underside exposed, each fog light is held in with two small screws. This is where it gets a bit tight. Unclip the harnesses, remove the screws, and pull out the fog lights.

This is where I took a slight detour-while they were out, I redid the tint on the fog lights since I had much better access now.

Now, on to the bezels:

Each is held in with four clips (Top/bottom/left/right). It's easier to release one of the side clips, and a good tug should see the bezel pop out. If not, release them one at a time until it's loose and comes out.

Putting the new ones in is just a matter of pressing them into place. I noticed that the tabs can be a little weak though, so make sure they're actually popping into place and not just twisting as you push.

The fog lights go back in, and are reattached with the two screws. You'll notice each fog light has four tabs for screws, the screws go into the lower inside and upper outside tabs. The other two fit onto little 'pins' which are a part of the bumper.

Put the lower shield back in place and place the clips and screws back into their respective places.

Most importantly, step back now and admire your Ti fog light bezels. [cheers]

While the car was out today, I went ahead and used a bit more of my vinyl to lightly darken the rear bumper's reflectors. It's a very light tint, to keep them visible but tone down the bright red. I used the same tint last year on my Grand Prix's brake lights.

The mudflaps will be thrown on next, and after that there are a couple more OEM accessories I wouldn't mind getting my hands on.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts