Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Oh yeah!
2,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes are squeaking, so I'm figuring with 30,000 miles and two bad previous owners of my car, my car's brakes are probably going to need to be replaced soon.

Does anyone know of a decent brake pad comparable to the OEM brake pad or even possibly the OEM brake pad itself (but not direct from Ford)?

Also, I was looking at possibly running in an autocross event or so in a month, and I was curious to know for those who have autocross, if they've ever had problems with brake fade or rotor warping due to the excessive braking involved on the stock pads/rotors? Or have you ever had warping just from normal driving (not likely you should, but you never know)?

Thanks in advance for any help and information.
alex

·
Registered
565 Posts
to go along w/ this post (if you dont mind ilcowil), does anyone also know of good brake rotors to buy for the SVT? thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had Mintex, great pad less dust nice compound. I recently bought the Hawk pads...i have heard good things about both.

As far as rotors, i have heard the OEM rotors work very well, i ordered mine through a guy on the JET. He can get all OEM parts at 10% above cost. So i paid roughly $200 for front and rear OEM rotors. His name is FORDSVTPARTS on the board and great guy to deal with.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Hawk pads are pretty much agreed to be the best street/autocross pad. Satisfied, Mintex, and EBC are good as well.

·
Registered
565 Posts
good stuff good stuff. thanks guys

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
even though I don't have a svtf, (zx3), I just put on some "satified pro ceramic pads" and the stopping is a little better than the stock pads. no noises from the pads, even under hard braking. I chose the satified pads because I have read numerous good reviews and have seen tuners on the television use them (speed channel).

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
Before we finish this thread, I just went into the Hawk Performance website, and they have 3 different kinds of pads for street use (HPS, Ceramic, and HP Plus). I know the HP plus is for autoX but which one would be best between the Ceramic and HPS?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Have most other SVT's put on new rotors when you've done pads? I haven't checked my wear yet, but I seem to remember reading that our rotors wear as fast if not faster then our pads. My brakes are squeaking and getting worse, so I'm doing at least pads, but I need to check my rotor wear before I order stuff and I was just curious about others experiences here. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm several thousand miles into my EBC pads, and my rotors are fine. I autoX very regularly as well, so I don't think you should worry about your rotors yet.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I just bought the Hawk HPS pads for 52.00 (including shipping) if that info helps at all. My question is: what else do I have to do? Is bleeding the brake system a must? I'm new to the brake thing. Can I just swap the pads in if my rotors appear to be fine? Any info will help- thanks

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Yes, that is a standard change. You only need to bleed the brakes when you have opened the brake fluid system.

I am at 26k miles and my brakes squeal like crazy. I have checked the pads a bunch and they are not gone yet. I think that is just one of the OEM perks, like the dust.

·
Registered
738 Posts
wow, those rotors off CFM are sexy... I think I'll order some... and to justify it, I think I'm starting to feel some pulsing in my brake petal... pulsing... yea that's it... that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
CrispyBurn said:
wow, those rotors off CFM are sexy... I think I'll order some... and to justify it, I think I'm starting to feel some pulsing in my brake petal... pulsing... yea that's it... that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

okay, you're weird. [8]

[rolleyes]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Central Florida Motorsports I believe is CFM; and as for the Hawk pads- a store on ebay runs them continuously-just type "Focus Hawk Brake Pads" or something similar. I put them on, they seem to be working great!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts