Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And they look very killer...
First off,I could not believe the size of the box they were shipped in,lot's of foam-in-place insured their safe arrival.
I know many of you will still say I should have just painted my stockers,but I'm still pretty damn impressed with the quality of these pieces for $136/delivered:

I've decided I'd like to paint my grille surround white and leave the mesh part black.I figure I'll mask off the grille and scuff up the chromed section with some steel wool for better adhesion.
Any suggestions on where to try and match Cloud White in a rattle can...?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will,I've been wanting to do this mod for a long time.
I just searched painting the chrome grille surround and I think I have a plan now for that so I'm off to locate my supplies.This site is super helpful when it comes to information.
Front end of this car is gonna look a whole lot meaner...[mad]

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Those are going to look great. Black housing headlights look really good on white foci.
I should know. I've got some on mine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For matching the cloud 9 white. Look for the small cans of Oxford White. It's a pretty close match. I painted my upper front grill and hatch strip with it. Here's a picture of both. Sorry about the shadows in these pictures, I'd post better ones but I'm at work and have to work around a filter.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For matching the cloud 9 white. Look for the small cans of Oxford White. It's a pretty close match. I painted my upper front grill and hatch strip with it. Here's a picture of both. Sorry about the shadows in these pictures, I'd post better ones but I'm at work and have to work around a filter.

Looks great man,that's exactly what I want to do.[cheers]
Where exactly did you find rattle cans of Oxford White?
Any hints or tips...?[dunno]

loudfocus01,
You are so right,I know the black lights will look killer against the white paint.
post up some pics of your ride if you can...

·
Don't read this!
2,341 Posts
They are nice, I'm tempted to get those even though I painted my own, but I hate the chrome ring around the turn signal...Well, your lights won't have any water in them at least!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've found the paint at both autozone and advance auto. They are smaller than normal cans and have the color on a label on top of the can.

Oh and as for painting the outer part of the grill, it's pretty easy to take the chrome part off the black back. If you look at the tabs, you'll see some plastic extensions on them keeping you from pulling the tab back. If you get a razor blade knife you can cut those pieces off and then the tabs will work like a normal tab. Just bend it back and pull it out. I managed to do this in about 10 min with a cheap razor blade knife that kept messing up. Now I can take it apart in a few seconds anytime I need to for touch ups or whatever.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've found the paint at both autozone and advance auto. They are smaller than normal cans and have the color on a label on top of the can.

Oh and as for painting the outer part of the grill, it's pretty easy to take the chrome part off the black back. If you look at the tabs, you'll see some plastic extensions on them keeping you from pulling the tab back. If you get a razor blade knife you can cut those pieces off and then the tabs will work like a normal tab. Just bend it back and pull it out. I managed to do this in about 10 min with a cheap razor blade knife that kept messing up. Now I can take it apart in a few seconds anytime I need to for touch ups or whatever.
Thanks for that advice,I was thinking dupli-color after I last posted,I'll stop by some parts stores and see what I can find.[thumb]
I'm pretty sure oxford white and cloud white are the same damn color,or close to it.I'm sure that would be close enough for something minor like a grille surround.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are nice, I'm tempted to get those even though I painted my own, but I hate the chrome ring around the turn signal...Well, your lights won't have any water in them at least!
I don't mind the chrome ring being there,might look a bit lost without it,imho.
I hope I don't have any water in them...anyone know how watertight they're constructed?[scratch] Like I said,they seem very well made to me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I baked and painted my own headlights and they haven't fogged up or leaked. I would assume the lights you bought should be fine, if not just take off the rubber piece and add some silicone around the seal.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
...If not just take off the rubber piece and add some silicone around the seal.
I was thinking that same thing myself,I will examine that area closely.
By the way both Cloud White and Oxford White are both code YZ so I guess there's your answer...[wave]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
i dont like the chrome lip around the blinker... thats why i did mine myself...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I found dupli-color paint in the correct YZ code @ Kragens...fricking $25 for 1 can of primer,2 small cans of paint and 1 small can of clear...man,ain't cheap.Looks like I've got my Friday project all planned out now...[woot]

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
so you bought black ones only to paint them white? hmmm just get rid of the chrome lip lol

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
I say stay Black

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so you bought black ones only to paint them white? hmmm just get rid of the chrome lip lol
No,no...sorry to confuse.I am sanding off the chrome on the GRILLE surround and painting it white to match my car like cd9_zx3 did to his in post #7 of this thread..
Black headlights will be installed at that time too,effectively de-chroming the front of my car.[thumb]

1 - 20 of 49 Posts