Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I was told several times to make one post per issue or question.
I've updated my signature with what I have and the engine if that helps anyone.

Anyways the first thing are the battery wires, I know I need new ones. The ones on there look extremely old, torn up, and rusty. They are probably the original wires for all I know.

My question is if there is a good brand or type of wires to get that are durable and somewhat cheap. Somewhere local would be nice like Autozone, but if online is better I can wait a week.

Anyway, here is the battery image, and don't worry, I'm very eager to clean everything under the hood next week, so my long to-do list will be much easier in the future. =)

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,612 Posts
Yup, you definitely need new wires there. Many upgrade their cables while doing a replacement. You can search for "big 3" and that will give you an idea. If you don't have a high power audio system, then upgrading from the OEM 6 gauge to a 4 gauge wire set is plenty.

A Ford battery harness for the positive cables is about $100. You can get a set of wires made up for far less than that...or even cheaper, get some 4 gauge wire and connectors and make it yourself. Make sure you get wire that has small strands like you see with your OEM cable there. The small strands in the cable make it more flexible and able to withstand vibrations better.

·
what it be like
6,381 Posts

you need something like this..looks like u might have spi..but not sure..or you can upgrade it but sometimes theres not alot of room to work with..you can score them pretty cheap on ebay or through a local Ford dealer if there reasonable

·
Registered
17,511 Posts
You pretty much can only get custom made to the car battery cables at the car dealer. Any carried by like Autozone or O'Reilly will be generic and may fit older models but not the newer stuff with cable ends that go literally everywhere. The parts stores don't stock that as no one makes them except possibly some truck ones. There would be simply be way too many numbers and they wouldn't sell fast enough to make it worth stocking them.

Meaning Ford only there. Used is a joke there you do not want that.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
You shouldn't have much trouble trying to find someone to make battery cables for you.

Try this place not too far from you...

Custom Battery Cables
Apache Junction, AZ 85178
Phone: (602) 329-8363

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I make my own.....

Figure out how much cable you need ( pos & neg)

Add the lengths together and buy that size cable (couple of inches longer)
(cheaper than buying 2 cables)

Cut to length, and crimp and solder your own lugs on the end.

Add heat shrink tubing for neatness and to keep the water out.

Buy brass terminals for the battery, and attach your cables to the brass terminals.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
^^^^ That!

In 50 years of car ownership I have never bought a battery cable...I make them!

And, if I don't have the lugs on hand, I have used copper pipe to make one...just smash one end, drill a hole, and solder the wire in. When I use copper I put a coating of solder over the outside of the lug to prevent corrosion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts