Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is taylor and although im new here im not new to the car scene. yesterday i purchased a 2006 focus zx3 5 speed. I love the thing and am looking to purchase coilovers and wheels and such within the next few days, and had a question

I see about 3 different styles of coilovers, and cant exactly figure out which ones would fit. There are some witha front 2 bolt knuckle, then some with the rear spring on the strut (the ones on my focus are separate) and am finding it difficult to find a proper looking coilover that would fit. The front doesnt have the 2 knuckle setup, looks like it just slips into a round bracket. Any advise on a brand that would work? Trying to go as low as possible. Thanks in advance guys, and i look forward to all the knowledge i can gain about my new car with you all

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also i hate to triple post, but its better than starting a new thread. Anyone know off hand the thread pitch for the shift knob? I searched 2006 focus shift knob and the results showed 2 different pitches, 10x1.5 i think, and 12x1.5

·
So mote be it
8,950 Posts
There is only one style of rear coil overs for our car; spring and adjuster perch is separate from the shock (not enough room for true coilover strut.) For your year, you will need 06-11 coil overs. You can use 00-05 coil overs but will need to spend extra on a sleeve (Massive "Omni-kit") to fit the fronts (they redesigned the shock body, made it larger in '06 where it sits in the knuckle and the sleeve fills the extra space)

All front coilovers from 06-11 will look the same (most sites use stock images of generic coilovers) It is an adjustable coilover strut design. Mostly just decide if you want really good track handling or ability to go super low, then decide on price.

KW and H&R are made to handle well, stiff. ST is made by KW and uses galvanized steel over stainless to keep costs down, essentially Var1 otherwise. K-Sport's handle well enough but I wouldnt expect them to track as well as KW/H&R and will go really low. I'd plan to get adjustable camber/toe for the rear to dial in your allignment (your tires will thank you.)

Shift thread is 12mm x 1.25mm...also you can always use generic fit all ones that bolt on with an allen key or something

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
There is only one style of rear coil overs for our car; spring and adjuster perch is separate from the shock (not enough room for true coilover strut.) For your year, you will need 06-11 coil overs. You can use 00-05 coil overs but will need to spend extra on a sleeve (Massive "Omni-kit") to fit the fronts (they redesigned the shock body, made it larger in '06 where it sits in the knuckle and the sleeve fills the extra space)

All front coilovers from 06-11 will look the same (most sites use stock images of generic coilovers) It is an adjustable coilover strut design. Mostly just decide if you want really good track handling or ability to go super low, then decide on price.

KW and H&R are made to handle well, stiff. ST is made by KW and uses galvanized steel over stainless to keep costs down, essentially Var1 otherwise. K-Sport's handle well enough but I wouldnt expect them to track as well as KW/H&R and will go really low. I'd plan to get adjustable camber/toe for the rear to dial in your allignment (your tires will thank you.)

Shift thread is 12mm x 1.25mm...also you can always use generic fit all ones that bolt on with an allen key or something
All this what Stephen said^^^^^^^^^^ Try http://tirerack.com for a better deal + they're a sponsor here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the so quickly! And thanks for the thread move i tried to post it in the most appropriate section i could find haha. Have a "kamikaze" intake and the ksport coils ordered as well as the omni kit. Looking forward to getting everything and putting her under the wrench to get shit done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a few months probably just going to use my last cars wheels just to make it easy for now.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're not throwing those on the Focus?

Does the stud pattern even match if you're trying? (4X108 for the Focus)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was gonna put them on the focus, but Theyre 4x108? Thats a weird pattern, never heard of it before. These wheels are 4x100 and 4x114 so i guess they wont fit.... Crap

·
Registered
459 Posts
Strange as it may seem, I miss my little Saturn wagon - why you ditching the Sat? I had a 140K on mine when I wrecked it, never did anything but change oil and put gas in it.... I did want something that handled better/was rwd, but the Sat was a fun little car.

As far as coil overs, I know that for the Mk3 (what I drive), Vogtland specs a lower drop than ST coils, and is priced the same (usually). Not sure body construction on them though, and have no idea as to the earlier cars in terms of drop. And I love the Vogtland springs, good drop, work with stock dampers, good ride quality, etc... For low low low on the mk3's, I think the V-maxx offers the lowest drop, and I would guess the same for the earlier generations (?). Look them up as well.

However, for the near term, coils are an expense I can't cover. Bummer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Threw a rod straight through the block, ugh. Im keeping it to maybe engine swap eventually but as for now im putting my time into the new baby. I loved the car, but it was slow as molasses even with a lightweight flywheel/intake, headers and exhaust. It was lowered on subaru impreza gc coilovers (1996 to 2001 i believe?) that could be modded ever so slightly to fit the s series perfectly.

Id keep the wheels and get an adapter to go to 4x108 but it would push the wheels out way too far i think, 16x9 with zero offset stuck out quite a bit on the s series and it looks like the focus hub is a little closer to the outside of the body than the s series so that alone would push it out further. Looks like im gonna have to sell them :( which is fine i guess, i won them on instagram for free hahahah. It looks like wide low offset wheels are hard to come by in 4x108 for a reasonable ish price

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Also, what rim diameter tends to be the most common with these cars? I have the stock 15" aluminum alloys right now, do people tend to go 16 or 17 more often? I want it pretty low but not "stanced" out with tons of camber, maybe 2 degrees or so. Sorry if im asking some retarded questions i just have zero experience with this platform and have owned thecar for 3 days

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
17's for performance wheels, no "stance" out with camber needed for fitment.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My boy has a 2000, 16x7s on it (I think 40mm offset), 205/55 16s, and it's pretty well "flush" with the fender. He's running SVT springs, no issues with anything, but I'm trying to get him on some Vogtlands. He's pretty content with the way the car handles (and is usually quicker than I am at the autocross) and is afraid of messing with it, but he's seeing some others that are lower and likes the look. I might turn him yet...

I don't think his wheels were terribly expensive, around $100 a pop; it looks like the wheels on your Sat are worth that or more, so you shouldn't have much of a problem, but, what will you do with the Sat if you keep it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If i keep it il just go full retard (never go full retard) and pull a motor, build it and just keep it as a stupid little daily. Its a fun car but is stupid slow compared to the focus which is stock, and the satty was "illegal" in california.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Id keep the wheels and get an adapter to go to 4x108 but it would push the wheels out way too far i think, 16x9 with zero offset stuck out quite a bit on the s series and it looks like the focus hub is a little closer to the outside of the body than the s series so that alone would push it out further. Looks like im gonna have to sell them :( which is fine i guess, i won them on instagram for free hahahah. It looks like wide low offset wheels are hard to come by in 4x108 for a reasonable ish price
Glad to hear your not using those wheels w/ adapters. Thats just stupid if you thought about using those wheels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah it would have been too much. The wheels im looking at are also probably going to be too much, but im gonna wait a quick minute before ordering wheels just to do all the research i need to find something that will fit perfectly with not too much pooch, but also not too far into the body

1 - 20 of 22 Posts