Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where's the best place to order online an alternator? Preferably one with a lifetime warranty. I know OReillys and Autozone have it but its a bit pricey, can't find one cheaper online WITH a warranty.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Tony's Starter & Alternator
26 Brownwood Ave, Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 255-2626

Give 'em a call

Local rebuilders tend to use quality parts any worry about local reputation.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
What if theres a issue or problem? Then what?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Warranty means nothing when it's your wasted time repetedly pulling and installing junk alternators. Local rebuilders use better parts than the cheap crap the stores push over the shelf. Your choices are: junk with warranty or quality without. If you have an original alternator it's best to keep and rebuild.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
I'd look at a motorcraft one 1st.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay so what if he does a rebuild and my alternator goes again a few months after? I'd just have to go back again or buy a new alternator. That's the only reason I wanted to get one with a warranty. But if everyone suggests a rebuild I'll call them tomorrow

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Don't see folks who go local end up unhappy, see plenty of "lifetime" alternators not work right out of the box.

You'll get honest answers & a good product locally, could be told it's OK ranging to it's so trashed they'll set you up with a replacement that's solid. In between is the more common fix that's cheaper than buying a rebuilt & will last longer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Autozone, O'reilly and Napa alternators and starters are a 50/50 proposition; either they are good or bad. Never buy the "economy grade" parts that have either the 90day to 1 year warranty, the repair quality borders on slip shod, its greatly improved on the "premium" lines. Though they don't like to do it, have them test the replacement unit you are buying out of the box... It will be either good or bad and sometimes you can even hear the bearing going bad over the motor noise of the tester. Local rebuilders are almost always better, but more costly than chain store replacement units... chain store units are repaired mainly in Mexico where labour is less, shipping is the main cost in many cases. Local labour in the San Francisco area is about $75 for electrical service... so repairing your unit is usually far more expensive.

·
Registered
17,175 Posts
X2, I've done one for as low as thirty cents.......................now running for several years.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Good rebuilt from a local rebuilder is usually cheaper as well as better than one form a chain store IF the OP's isn't repairable.

That hour labor quoted is often the whole charge for a repair plus parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts