Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went 78k on stock shock/struts and steeda springs and they were still going good. the car had a great stance and imo it still handled pretty good. i decided to go ahead and replace the the stock shocks with new agxs and i just love the was the car feels now but the front end sets like an inch higher than usual... the front right side looks to set a little higher than the front left, and its obvioulsy higher than the back is. the back appears to still sit where its supposed to. did i miss something or is there a break-in period that i have to wait out so they sink back into their possition?

·
Aggresive Not Crazy
1,815 Posts
yeah i would say drive it for like a week you know cause tht strut doesnt exactly sit all the way down in the first setting.

·
Flat Black King
8,203 Posts
yea like he said drive it for a few days to let it settle in. it shouldnt take long but just give it time

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats kind of what i was thinking, give it a week, but what if it doesnt compress to its original height? its been a couple days now and no improvements. i mean, i love the way it feels now but i hate the way it sits.

·
Registered
584 Posts
also check that the bottom coil sits in the strut properly. this should be obvious, but might cause a funky ride height.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Huh, I never had a problem with mine.

You think maybe using your older used springs would have anything to do with it? I replaced mine with new springs.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i called kyb and they told me that there is not a break-in period with their shocks and struts and that they make their shocks to the same size as oem so ride hight would remain the same. then i called steeda (i use steeda springs) and they told me that the front will have to settle again since i removed the springs and to give it a couple weeks. i guess if i dont see any difference with that then i will take it all apart again and hopefully see whats goin on.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Definitely let us know how that goes. I'm curious about an already broken in spring having to resettle, but time will tell.

On another note, AGX's rule don't they?

AND WHOA! You have an 04 2.3? LUCKY BA#[email protected]%%!!!!!!!llololol

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, yeah, im one of the lucky ones. i love the feel of the agxs, so much better than what i did... or didnt have and i will update with what happens

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I bet, I'm sure it'd be nice to tighten that rear up a little whenever you want.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
maybe your old dampers were just blown and it sat lower than it should've

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Ride height is controlled by the spring. The only way a shock can affect ride height is 1) it has an adjustable spring perch, 2) it is a high pressure monotube shock (which the AGX is not) or 3) the spring perch is mounted higher on the shock body than an equivalent O.E.M. shock negating the reductions by a lowering spring. A shock designed for lowering springs has a shorter shock body which would result in the spring perch also being a little lower as well. KYB's statement that it is a stock length shock might mean that you are not getting the full benefits of your lowering spring that you would get from a matching or kit shock.

Another guess would be that the final torquing of the shock install was done while the suspension was drooping and the bushings are now bound up. Final tightening must be done with weight on the suspension to prevent this.

·
Machinery Technician
7,321 Posts
Another guess would be that the final torquing of the shock install was done while the suspension was drooping and the bushings are now bound up. Final tightening must be done with weight on the suspension to prevent this.
what bushings exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the bushings that set on top of the strut. they hold the spring on the strut hat. but i can imagine how that could be bad and damaging because if you put them on when they arent tightened then bushings might be more likely to bind up on you.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
All bushings/bolts you had to remove and re-tighten. This includes the upper and lower strut/shock mounts as well as any control arm bolts you may have loosened or removed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok, i can see where maybe where the shock goes into the knuckle. i will try that and i suppose that i can loosen the shock bushing/spring holder-in bolt a little and tighten it down while the car is on the ground. i was looking at it all very carefully and i think that the rear of the car might sit a little lower than it normaly does. i think im just going to take out those springs and let them sit for a little bit then put them back in and just go over everything, every little nut and bolt where the car sits.... and i will be safe about it.... im going to take some pics so you all can see what im talking about. its not much of a difference but its enough to drive me insane. [?|]

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
this first picture is the front and the second is the back. it doesnt look like much, but its an inch and quite noticeable to me, maybe i will just deal with it

1 - 20 of 36 Posts