Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just wanted to post on here to get everyones opinions and tips about these cars. All my life I have had muscle cars, diesel trucks, and bikes. This is my first little car so i dont know much about them (specific wise) I do most of my own work so this car should be a lot easier then my 6.0L ford diesel was to fix...(not getting into that one). So just wanted to see what you guys think about these cars and any tips that you may have. It will only be my daily commuter car so no turbos or anything more than likely lol.

Car is a 2006 ZX4 ST with 2.3L 5 speed with only 82000 miles. Also came with the sony sound system/subwoofer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome! I also have an 07 ST, minus the SAP package and the Sony sound system. Great little car, it's a fun dd. I would recommend dropping it, it makes a tremendous performance increase:

I also plan on adding 17 inch wheels and summer tires next year. Also, Felix will probably chime in soon about doing a balance shaft delete. Only thirty bucks and a couple hours of your time when changing the oil removes twenty pounds of weight from your engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
You like it as a DD. Comfortable enough for the commute, but competent enough to have some fun on twisting back roads.

The 2.3 duratecs are good motors too, puts out around 151 hp and 154 ft-lb, but you may experience the long crank issue while starting that's common with these vehicles. Dealers offer a reflash, some say it helps and others have said it doesn't. It happens to me occasionally, car always starts on the second try though.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
You like it as a DD. Comfortable enough for the commute, but competent enough to have some fun on twisting back roads.

The 2.3 duratecs are good motors too, puts out around 151 hp and 154 ft-lb, but you may experience the long crank issue while starting that's common with these vehicles. Dealers offer a reflash, some say it helps and others have said it doesn't. It happens to me occasionally, car always starts on the second try though.
Huh, I've always had that problem since I got the car. Didn't know it was a common issue.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They make a good eco car. Mine's been reliable and predictable. I've only had to address a few rattles and vibrations since I purchased it. Like you, I own a non-stock diesel and bikes so I find the 2.3L to be kind of a pooch sometimes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Mostly for '05 models, 2.0 or 2.3.

2.3 5 spd. has enough scoot to be a fun car, handling & feel are quite good, 17's and a little lower/stiffer can wake it up to be even more sporty.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Hello everyone, I just wanted to post on here to get everyones opinions and tips about these cars. All my life I have had muscle cars, diesel trucks, and bikes. This is my first little car so i dont know much about them (specific wise) I do most of my own work so this car should be a lot easier then my 6.0L ford diesel was to fix...(not getting into that one). So just wanted to see what you guys think about these cars and any tips that you may have. It will only be my daily commuter car so no turbos or anything more than likely lol.

Car is a 2006 ZX4 ST with 2.3L 5 speed with only 82000 miles. Also came with the sony sound system/subwoofer.
Welcome to FF. 1st thing is to do a bsd plug. That'll remove about 20lbs of static weight + rotational weight off the motor & free up the motor. Easy to do, remove the pan & remove 5 bolts & 20lbs is in your hand. Install a plug in the oil feed hole. I used a plug & peened it in & added a windage tray. Add 6qtrs of oil w/ filter & your golden, btw I used the powerstroke sealant to seal up the pan. I had a Amarillo that I modded out w/ bulletproof 6L parts. I did the oil cooler behind the bumper w/ a egr & cooler delete kit. Happy modding the foci.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Welcome to FF. 1st thing is to do a bsd plug. That'll remove about 20lbs of static weight + rotational weight off the motor & free up the motor. Easy to do, remove the pan & remove 5 bolts & 20lbs is in your hand. Install a plug in the oil feed hole. I used a plug & peened it in & added a windage tray. Add 6qtrs of oil w/ filter & your golden, btw I used the powerstroke sealant to seal up the pan. I had a Amarillo that I modded out w/ bulletproof 6L parts. I did the oil cooler behind the bumper w/ a egr & cooler delete kit. Happy modding the foci.
Told ya he would bring up the BSD

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Told ya he would bring up the BSD
One of the many mods, huh? Could go on about brakes, suspension's & motor mods. I just didn't want to load him up to much. LOL

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Then do a dogbone, sts, springs/dampers, svt front brakes, etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thank you all for your inputs. Yea i do have the long crank sometimes. And sometimes while driving down the road i get a hesitation, so might need to do spark plugs as well. Is there any real difference is BSD mods like CFM vs cosworth

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
'06 zx4 st

Then do a dogbone, sts, springs/dampers, svt front brakes, etc...
[welcome] to FF! I had a Steeda STS, and SVT front brakes, shocks/struts and springs, 17" ST200 wheels with 205/50/17 Conti DWSs, and a 24mm rear anti-sway bar on my '05 ST. Made it a perfect DD IMO. I also added a full SVT interior, because SVT seats are far superior to standard STs.
I had the same long crank issue with mine, but as JPFocus86 said, it always started on the second try.
Keep us posted on your progress, and post more pics!

·
So mote be it
8,959 Posts
Is there any real difference is BSD mods like CFM vs cosworth
Not really, also Massive Speed Systems does a BSD as well, good vendor too.

As for SVT front brakes, its straight bolt on upgrade. Just need the loaded calipers and new rotors, makes a nice upgrade you can pick up from any part store. Just tell them you need front calipers/rotors/pads for 2002-04 SVT focus. Return your stock calipers for the core charge [:)] Do make note that if you do swap to SVT front brakes, your spare wheel will not fit and you will not be able to use a 15" wheel. (svt spare tire is ideal but you can always swap a rear wheel to the front of car and then toss the spare on the rear.)

I'd look for suspension soon too, yours at 80k is probably past its prime. visit the suspension area for ideas there. Something around 1.5" drop paired with matching shocks/struts would make the car not only handle better but also look better; 06 focus have crazy amount of fender gap.

All fluids should be changed too, same for filters. The car has a timing chain, so that shouldnt be a concern any time soon. The airfilter is what Ford calls non-serviceable/sealed, lots of us have swapped that out for a CAI or SRI.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
As Stephen mentioned Massive is a vender here & his bsd offers a windage tray also.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
You picked a great car for a DD. I've had mine since 2007 and I haven't had any major issues with it. I've literally driven it to Washington and back and haven't had to fix anything outside of normal wear and tear items.

Performance wise, I definitely suggest the BSD, new suspension, air intake, and poly dogbone mount to start.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dad has had his '07 ST since new, and there haven't been any problems with it at all.
Just passed 100K and still going as strong as ever

·
Registered
582 Posts
Bsd is great, if you don't want to do a lot of mods for power, at least get a cai to rid of the factory intake disaster and a tune from Tom. Exhaust, header and a cai won't add up to the difference his tune makes. Better mpg too. A short throw and solid rear mount make a nice difference that's noticeable. The ST exhaust stock isn't horrible, i ran around several months with a header and stock st exhaust and got complimented all the time. Now they're just like....Damn, that's loud. You can find a used header around and save a ton. Don't waste money on a throttle body.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Nice car. This is what I wanted when I bought mine new from the dealership over a decade ago but I couldn't afford the payments at the time. The original ST Focus is becoming a lot more rare to see on the roads these days (Especially with the SAP package that you have). Started losing hope on my car until I found out that nearly all of the 2.3 Duratec parts were compatible with the 2.0 Duratec as well. Great find and welcome to FF.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts