Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I’m in the market for a new stereo after my pioneer 860MP was stolen. I was looking at this year's models and was considering the 7800mp. Crutchfield has it for $320 bucks on special. I can also get another 860mp that was made in April 2005 that was bought at a authorized dealer for hopefully $225 - $275. The 860 has more features, but the screen was hard to read in the daylight and with sunglasses on. Is there any improvement in going to the 7800, or should I stick with the 860?

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Did the 860 have a color OEL display? If it didn't and it was hard to read, you might find the color OEL display of the 7800mp easier to read...plus, with getting the 7800mp, you get the full one year warranty, not sure if you would get it on the 860 or not, if it is new. Either way, I would say go for the 7800mp, it seems to be a great hu and will have close to the same amount of features that the 860 has. Also, with either one, you will have a great hu, which I'm sure you already know that [thumb]. Hope this helps some.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the 860 had a color OEL, but it was only like 64 or 16 colors or something like that. Also the 860mp is from the premier line, so I will still have a year left on the warrentey, since they are 2 years and it was bought from an autherized dealer in New York. I'm thinking the only features that the 860 has that the 7800 doesn't is the Auto EQ and Auto TA, plus being to run active components. I don't really care about that, but the Auto EQ and TA are nice.

·
Registered
316 Posts
i have the 780 (premier version)... and it might not have auto EQ and TA.... but it still has EQ and TA... just gotta dial them in on your own.... very easy...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. Yea, the EQ i'm pretty familer with, it's the TA that i've never done. i guess i just get out a tape measure and see how far it is from teh speaker to the headrest. ;)

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
The 860 has 4v preouts, whereas the 7800 probably doesn't. I would go with the 860, as the display on the new one isn't really different (still the OEL, so visibility is probably going to be the same). My 7600mp has the OEL and it is easy to read except in the most direct sunlight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actully the 860 does have 6.5V @100 ohm preouts, as i'm reading the manual at the moment. I didn't know if the upgrade in the number of colors would change the readibility of it. I can read it fine in the sun if I take of my sunglasses, as they are the darkest ones oakley makes ;).

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^^If the 860 has 6.5v preouts, then that is the main difference. I don't know what the 7800 has, but it's probably 2, maybe 4.

As far as readibility, I don't know if the extra colors would help or not, but my guess would be no, because it isn't technically brighter, just more colorful...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
True. I'm leaning towards the 860, as it has higher preouts, the auto TA and i'm familer what sounds good in my car. Plus if I ever lose a remote or manual or anything, I have spares ;)

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I have the Premier 860 and I love it. I'm not familiar with the 7800, but the Premier 860 was one of Pioneers top of the line CD/MP3 players 2 years ago (the 960 was the same thing, just had a face that folded out). I'm almost positive that the 7800 doesn't have a 13-band EQ - probably has a 7-band or less (I've been looking around, but haven't found anything better with the features).

My vote is for the 860. IMO, it's one of the best HU's that can be purchased. I can totally agree with ya on the face being hard to read with polarized sunglasses on (you didn't say polarized, but mine are and the angle of the screen makes it apear almost blacked out). I don't think the 7800 would be better (from what I've read here), only because of the location of the HU makes it difficult to see in sunlight no matter what. My Clarion DRX-9675Z (yeah, old school dead head) had the same problem and I believe it has over 1000 color display.

Get the 860 and be happy!

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
I'm not sure if the greater number of colors will help the visibility, but I would just say go for the 860 based on the arguments made here.

Mike

·
Powering America
8,559 Posts
Actually Tim, the 7800 has a 16-band eq, not that the extra 3-bands are neccessarily needed for an everyday hu.

The 860 also has 5 volt pre-outs, at 100 ohms resistance...a difference from the 860 that would not be noticed.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Toolman: Yea, I have Polerized Dark Irdium Oakley's and just like you said, the screen is blacked out unless I take them off to look at it. Even then, it's hard to read some things.

The dashing budda: The 860 has a two year warrenty, and it was purchased only a year ago, so that is not an issue, since the 7800 only has a 1 year warrenty.

I think it's going to be the 860. I'm saving 100 bucks, and getting a stereo I know I will like and am familer with.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Well, I didn't look up the 7800 (me being ignorant on calling it crappy), but I'm glad you have your mind set on the 860!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts