Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new, well new to me, 2012 SEL Hatchback... New to the focus world what are some of the best preformence upgrades avaliable... 6 speed auto btw

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Upgrade that rear motor mount too. Also, an exhaust and intake won't hurt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Less wheel hop. Shifting becomes more stiff. You won't feel much of your engine hitting the wall as much when you shift hard. I haven't done the mod myself but plan on it soon. Get the E-RIMM rear mount according to many people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
In addition to replacing the stock rear motor mount with the Focus Electric's mount (hence the E-RMM name), I'd also remove the intake "snorkel" and get an aftermarket high-flow air filter like a K&N or AEM. Total cost will run you about $110-130 with shipping. Oh, and give some strong consideration to running 91 or 93 octane fuel; the engine computer will adjust timing to take advantage of it.

Pertinent threads:

Best ways to add more bottom end to our MK3?

Snorkel Delete

Rear Motor Mount

N/A Mk3 Rear Motor Mount Write Up (Pic Heavy)

anyone using premium gas ?

Also, assuming you're under warranty, I'd try to get the updated trip computer screen if you don't have it already, and get the dealer to flash the TCM with the latest firmware.

Trip Computer Screen

DCT / PowerShift Transmission Update TSB Thread

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
For my 2012 SE I would say:
Snorkel delete and free flow air filter. #1
Use premium gasoline. #2

A free flowing exhaust would be good..
And a tune (though I have zero experience with such a thing, From reading, they do help)

Once you start spending a lot of money? INSTEAD!!! You should save up and buy a used ST. (but then you would have to drive a manual transmission.)

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
I can't afford a St... I had to buy what I could afford
LOL what you should of asked is , whats the best mods for the best performance gains , Then I think you would of got the answer your looking for

Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that not what I asked best preformence upgrades would entail the biggest gains that's what would make them the best PREFORMENCE MODS!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is that not what I asked best preformence upgrades would entail the biggest gains that's what would make them the best PREFORMENCE MODS!
Personally, until more parts come out for the engine, I wouldn't do much. I would stay away from changing the thermostat, or putting a "tune" on it. The stock setup is just fine.

If you want more performance and more fun, upgrade the suspension first. A set of springs, set of struts/shocks will give you a lot more feel and make the car a lot more nimble. H&R makes good stuff, as does KONI... but there are a lot of brands. While under there, some thicker sway bars will keep the car flat in the corners.

Brakes next. Then 18's or even 19's for wheels. As light as you can find.

The above will give you a LOT more performance. You'll be able to carry more speed through the bends and make use of the power you have.

You can have all the power in the world, but until you can make that car an extension of you, it won't mean a thing!

Start with the suspension and brakes, then throw more power at it.

IMO....

·
Registered
343 Posts
Personally, until more parts come out for the engine, I wouldn't do much. I would stay away from changing the thermostat, or putting a "tune" on it. The stock setup is just fine.

If you want more performance and more fun, upgrade the suspension first. A set of springs, set of struts/shocks will give you a lot more feel and make the car a lot more nimble. H&R makes good stuff, as does KONI... but there are a lot of brands. While under there, some thicker sway bars will keep the car flat in the corners.

Brakes next. Then 18's or even 19's for wheels. As light as you can find.

The above will give you a LOT more performance. You'll be able to carry more speed through the bends and make use of the power you have.

You can have all the power in the world, but until you can make that car an extension of you, it won't mean a thing!

Start with the suspension and brakes, then throw more power at it.

IMO....
What are our brake upgrades? Who sells performance rotors / pads?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out what Steeda is offering. You can do some custom stuff as well. Our brakes are quite good, but they can always be better.

I am going off topic talking about suspension and brakes. So, I best stop talking about it too much. ;) ...but, it's the 'best' way to go, in my opinion. Build around the engine first. Then tackle the power addiction.

·
FF Affiliate
31,180 Posts
Personally, until more parts come out for the engine, I wouldn't do much. I would stay away from changing the thermostat, or putting a "tune" on it. The stock setup is just fine..
This couldnt be more wrong , one of the best and biggest gains you can do to the MK3 is a tune , it adds better over all driveability and performance and much much more , only people that say the stock tune is fine is people that dont have a tune or never driven a MK3 with a proper custom tune

Thermostat adds to the tune making the new found performance safer and adding to the performance

suspension makes it handle better if your doing a lot of spirited driving on twisty roads or racing the car , if your not doing this suspension is a total waste , brakes same thing , you can just change the pads and increase your braking by a good bit but again unless your doing a lot of spirited driving what good is it , a tune you would use regardless of how you drive and its always there helping and most say it increases the MPG

Tom

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
There is a user on here who did a Wilwood Big Brake conversion on the front so there is that too.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I thought this at first. That statement is definitely not true. I invested in a tune, Intake, and I have an exhaust coming soon. It has given me great performance and I love it. I need to invest in the E-RMM that I had suggested at the beginning of this post. It helps a great deal with wheel hop and gets the power to the ground. Our engines respond well to bolt-ons, but you have to know what mods to do.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Am I the only one that thinks the base suspension is already pretty good? Very little body roll, I'd just upgrade to the complete Ford Racing package for only $650, but that would definitely be after intake, exhaust, tune, RMM...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts