Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping my first post on here wouldn't be about getting my new 2012 Focus SEL wrecked. I was sitting at a stoplight and got rear ended HARD. Pretty bummed about it.

I'm hoping I can just get the insurance company to get me a brand new car since this one was less than 30 days old. It will never be the same or worth as much ever again.

It looks a lot worse in person.....so bummed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
So not cool what that person did to ya (especially when you're at full stop, come on). I hope it all works out. Is your rear window panel shattered or is that just dust?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I simply cannot stand this. There is no reason for these sort of accidents besides incompetent drivers. Sue him until he can't afford to even touch a car. Maybe then people will be more careful when they're driving. Because, as you said, even if you can repair the damage, the car will never hold the same value again.
And I don't know about you, but I love my car. Hurting it is like hurting a family member lol.

Good luck, hopefully it will be like new soon enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The guy that hit me was a car mechanic. He just finished repairing his customer's car and was taking it around the block for a test drive. He admitted to the police that he was not paying attention at all. His customer's car was totaled.

I was really loving the car. If i can't get it completely replaced I will be pretty upset. I'll be reminded of the damage every time I look at it. Never forget....

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Awee dude im so sorry! i feel ya pain! hope you are alright though! if you get a rental make sure you dont get a yaris >_<

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So not cool what that person did to ya (especially when you're at full stop, come on). I hope it all works out. Is your rear window panel shattered or is that just dust?
The glass didn't break. It is just dirt. We had a MASSIVE dust storm in phoenix 2 days before. Lines at car washers have been 45-60 minutes long so I didnt get it clean yet. I sure wont be cleaning it now!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bummer for sure. But, you may be surprised about how well cars can be
repaired (by experienced body shops). My Mustang was damaged by a lady
who deliberately ran into me (road rage). Ford dealer did a fantastic job fixing a fender.

The bad thing is your car (mine too) now will have a CarFax report that states
your car had accident repairs done. And that translates into Dimished Value even
if car is repaired and they do a perfect job.

I pressed the insurance company for compensation under a Dimished Value claim. And I got more money.

Don't let Insurance Company low ball you. It takes a little patience.
Good luck.

·
Registered
671 Posts
the irony of a mechanic crashing another customer's car which he just fixed into yours... wow that blows man sorry to hear about it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I can understand your frustration but from those pictures that damage is easily repaired and you will never know it happened when you get it back from the body shop.

The chances of getting the insurance company to replace it are between slim and none.

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
^^ What he said. There doesn't look like much damage outside the bumper and maybe the trunk hinges but that is all easily repaired without much expanse. Two new body panels and your as good as new. Heck, even a crappy body shop can do that one and it would still work and look good.

·
Registered
366 Posts
And white is an easy color to match, especially since it's brand new.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I would definitely try and get extra cash out of the insurance company to compensate for the devaluation of the car. If they don't give it to you then you simply sue the mechanic for the amount the car is now devalued. I think that is a fair thing to sue for since he clearly is at fault here.

It would be interesting to know how you are going to arrive at figure for the amount of compensation. Any ideas how he will be able to get a fair calculation?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I feel your pain on this...I was rear ended 1 week after i got mine. the damage was not that bad.

the guy that hit me didn't want to go through insurance, he paid for everything out of pocket. body shop at my dealer did an awesome job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know they wont replace it with a new car. I know the other guy's inssurance company will try to screw me over as much as possible. I'm sure a body shop could get it looking close to new. But I'm a cynical a$$hole and will never be happy with the repairs. I bought a brand new car because I wanted it to be NEW.

Like many have said the car will never be worth the same amount of money again. I will push for a replacement but if I don't get it I will definitively need some sort of diminished value compensation. I opened a claim with the other guy's insurance company yesterday and its been 24 hours since i have heard anything from them.

The original picture didnt do a great job of showing the damage. I took some more and circled the problem areas. The white paint make it hard to take a picture of how dented in the trunk is. The guy hit me so hard the license place completely popped off.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts