Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I realise that most users on here are from the US, and I don't know if you have the 1.5 ecoboost available in the Mk3.5 Focus yet, but I want to see how many other people are experiencing this.

There is a known vibration/rattle/resonating fault with the design of the turbo and exhaust system of the new 1.5 Ecoboost Focus, however Ford are standing by it being design "intent" and trying to Fob us off that it is as designed. Who intends to design a noisy rattle for goodness sake?

I'm driving around this time of year with my window open and all I'm hearing on lift off and when changing gears is an awful noise that sounds like my car is going to fall apart.

It is not a background noise, like tapety injectors, but a loud pronounced rattle that sounds like the exhaust system is being held together with safety pins.

If you have this issue, please reply so we can build up the number of people experiencing it. If you have this engine, but don't think you are experiencing the issue, try listening to the car on cold start up with the window or door open, or trying revving the engine over 3k revs and letting it drop back.

Anyone else reading this with experience of getting this sort of thing sorted with Ford, I would really appreciate your feedback. I have been given the number for customer relations by the service department at my garage and have asked the salesman at my dealer to pressure Ford. I see no reason why I cannot pursue this under the Sale Of Goods Act, this car is not of satisfactory quality.

UPDATE:

Here is a video of it:

https://youtu.be/PSseVdyMOFE

Initially I just start the engine and let it idle for the first 30s or so, but the clearest recording of it is around 1:10.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to my dealer, it is a known issue.

They received a broadcast message from Ford about it, that they are aware of an issue with a rattle/vibration noise coming from the exhaust/turbo area.

The dealer followed the steps requested by Ford, but at the end of the process have said the noise is by design...?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I think it is something to do with the wastegate resonating down the exhaust pipe or something.

My dealer has said it is not right, but they have hit a bit of a brick wall with Ford at the moment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guy,
I’m not from US (I’m from Romania), but I have the same problem at my Ford Focus 1.5 Ecoboost Titanium Wagon, bought 1.5 months ago.
From the first day, I heard a strange noise, when the engine is cold. First time I suspected the noise comes from exhaust system, but I was wrong.
Please find below a link with a cold start.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMLU4ODqy9s

I sent the video to the local Ford service and they re-sent the video to Ford Romania factory, knowing the fact 1.5 ecoboost engine is made here.
No reply … [mecry]

After 2 weeks, I went in service with my car and the Ford service mechanics heard also the noise (the noise it’s very, very audible after the engine shield is removed). I stayed together with the mechanics with the car suspended and was very clear: the noise come from the turbine zone.
At my car the noise is present around 1400 rpm (If I understood well, at that rpm the turbine start working).
Please find below the video (made in Ford service):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXlD8Zjats

The mechanics agreed there is a problem and they promised me that will communicate the issue to Romanian Ford factory.
That was 1.5 weeks ago … since then no answer … [bigcry]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is good to know I'm not the only one.

Feels a bit like David and Goliath, with me against Ford at the moment.

Does yours only do it when cold?

·
Registered
13 Posts
No, the noise is present anytime. But is louder when the engine is cold.

First time, I hoped that my car turbine is defective ... and will be replaced according to warranty policy.
But, when I heard the same noise at other two FF3 with 1.5 ecoboost engine … I realized there is a design issue. That means a service recall … but when will happen that?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ford are aware of the issue, but they keep telling me that is is "within design intent".

I have never heard such rubbish.

I can only hope if we all keep complaining, we collectively get a result...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will report this issue also to a romanian forum, because there a couple of guys that have the same engine. If the problem is present at all cars, we have a very big trouble ...

When I claimed the noise first time, the mechanics thought there is turbine blow off valve ... maybe the Ford refer to that valve also. Or maybe I only hope ...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been told it is something to do with the actuator of the re-circ/blowoff valve, or the valve itself rattling.

It is completely unacceptable, but Ford want to say it is supposed it sound like this.

Who designs a car to sound like a bag of spanners?

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is my biggest afraid ... Ford will tell us there is technological noise and this is it!

In this situation, we can not fight with Ford, because we are too small and too few. I will reconcile myself with the thought and I will go with my car with the windows closed and I will rise also the audio volume

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We shouldn't have to though, it is ridiculous.

Perhaps if we mention there are others when speaking to Ford, they will not think that they can fob us off that we are the only ones.

This is my first brand new Ford after having only ever owned Fords before so I am incredibly disappointed and let down in Ford for this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can you here your rattle while driving?

I can still hear mine at 40mph or more. Particularly noticeable changing down gears or cruising long at around 1500rpm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When I'm driving with my windows closed, I didn't hear anything. To hear the noise, I have to have the windows or the door open, or I have to stay outside the car.

Regarding the movie, the same sound is also at my car.

As I told you in my previous posts, at my car/engine, the noise is only around 1400 rpm ... that means when the turbine start working.

Please listen very carefully at 0:14-0:15 from that movie ... you will hear a "click" - that noise is when the turbine stop working.

If I try to maintain the engine around 1400rpm, the turbine starts-stops-starts-stops and the result of is the annoying noise. I don't know if you understand what I want to say ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts