Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3-month old '06 ZX4, D20 w/ ATX, with 1900 miles on it (it's not a daily driver) that runs perfectly when it's cold, but after a mile or two, it loses a lot of it's "snap". If I stop after it's at full operating temp and shut it off for a few minutes, when I restart it, it fires right up, but has absolutely NO guts at all until I drive for a short distance...it's actually dangerously slow if I have to pull out in traffic right away. If I step on it I hear the intake sucking, but nothing happens. It's especially bad if I'm using the AC. My wife's '06 ZX5 w/ATX does not exhibit this behavior, and will run circles around mine performance-wise, once mine is warmed up.

I have a CAI and a FS XCal-2, I've tried several tweaked loads of the 87 octane tune, and none have any effect on the problem, which, as near as I can remember, has been there for a couple months.

Has anyone else experienced a problem like this? I hate to take it back to the stealer, even tho it's under warranty.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
It sounds like the ambient heat outside is probably causing some detonation. Try lowering the primary fan temp. Other than that, you might want to take it to the dealer- or convert it to a lower temp thermostat if the change in fan cut on temp doesn't help. A colder plug could help too... but with only 1900 miles on a car- I wouldn't go changing plugs.

Of course, also make sure that the CAI tubing is perfectly sealed just in case for some reason that's giving the MAF a bad signal- although I would think it would throw a CEL. One FF drilled holes in the area around his driver's side fog light to let in more fresh air if you want to go that far.

Best of luck-- oh, it might not be a bad idea to check the coolant level, the Ford "gauge" is not really a gauge, and it won't read hot until the motor is ready to overheat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts