Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya I just came into a 03 ZX3 from a trade for a last limb 2.3L '90 mustang.

I was wanting ideas for a N/A tune and the only real source I have found for performance parts is from Burtons of the U.K. (I have a connection in Wales that can import the parts stateside if that is my best option) but I am looking mainly to get a decent power gain. I live in West Virginia so most cases a high level of power is counter productive with how our roads are here.

But I do want throttle response, I hear alot about Early 2000 intakes and port them. are there any after-market options with proven flow improvement?

what is the highest lift you can go with in the stock head and components?

And what internals and other components would you suggest allow this car's engine to perform longer. I am not an abusive person on a car but I do enjoy my fair bit of spirit driving but that's mainly on small curvey roads so suspension system I already have figured out. but I generally want to beable to keep it as a daily driver maybe remap the ECU parameters myself with some extensive research while not having to worry that im going to get a rod knock after passing a semi on a 2 lane road every now and then.

Alll opinions accepted I would love to hear suggestions as I am COMPLETELY new to the world of FWD tuning and have primarily stuck with things such as mustangs...

P.s. my focus is suffering from long term depression to losing a sprint against a newer 2.5L subaru. at 115 mph the subaru was about 3 car lengths ahead. So, the Focus is currently on suicide watch... lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks freemind

Whats your HP goals to the wheels , you wanting NA or boost ?

Tom
Well I'm wanting to avoid boost just because i sit at 130k miles and my driving domain doesn't seem to favor boosts as the car will never meet just straight line speed here. but I guess the more realistic question would be how much WHP can I crank out before understeer becomes an actual problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your just looking for bolt on performance

SVT header
SVT full Exh or go to a 2.5 or 3 inch
TB
Intake
Tune
Cams and Adj cam gears

Tom
What are my options at Intake manifolds? I cant find any aftet market and ford racing obviously does not make anymore. I was thinking of the purchase of forged rods and a stage 1 or 2 head from Burtonfrom the U.K. Im looking to improve my throttle response and throttle body and light flywheel are my only idea's personally. but overall I guess you could say im looking to do a street friendly touring tune.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
A larger front and especially rear sway bar will calm down that oversteer issue significantly.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Don't bother with strut bars.

Do note that the svt header conversion is not a simple bolt on. Parts or fab will be needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't bother with strut bars.

Do note that the svt header conversion is not a simple bolt on. Parts or fab will be needed.
I had heard that. Im planning to get my parts from England since they do up towards stage 3 heads that fit your normal 2.0 Zetec since they use those engines in the Morgan cars and stuff. Hell you can buy a brand new Zetec from U.K. for about 1,000 dollars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With all the mods your still wont be making much HP to the wheels and you going to spend more then what boost will cost you

Tom
Sorry for the delayed response. work and parenthood stepped in. And I would love to have the power that boost gives but realistically I wont have anywhere to use it. roads here will go from a 55spd limit to slamming straight into a corner if you do 25-30 your sliding. I would entertain boost in my needed application but needing power throughout the whole band would dictate that a supercharger would be better for me or if they make a turbo that doesnt lag where im needing all my power. Oh and not including that we have roads that will be 7-9% grade for 5 miles down or up that is nothing but a continuous snake Lol or take Sandstone for example on I-64. if I remember correctly 13-15 miles of 7% grade. but I digress. I'm needing throughout power throughout my whole rpm range. I do all my speeding persay on gravel roads or 2 lane highways. curves curves curves my sir's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts