Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never would've thought I would ever buy a Focus. But the 2012 really sold me. Have mine about 3 weeks now and so far so good.......minus the random MFT and SYNC issues (lagging, sometimes phone doesn't sync up randomly, etc.). But can't say those weren't really expected.

All in all I'm very impressed as it feels like a much more expensive car than it is. Very glad i didn't decide to get a moderately equipped Accord or a Cruze LTZ.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think you made the right choice my friend. I admit, I checked out the Accord, and it is a nice car for sure, but I do like this 12' focus more :)

The Cruze did not exicte me at all...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Same here. Never owned a Ford (or an American car for that matter) but after reading all the reviews and then test driving one, I ordered it that day. Just felt more solid than some of the other similar size/price cars I looked at.

Don't have it yet so I can't speak to my satisfaction but if the one I test drove is an indication, it will be an enjoyable ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I test drove Altima, Optima, Accord, and Cruze...........I actually liked all the cars (especially the Kia) but the Focus just had by far the best value.
I got mine fully loaded with everything but the parking and handling package and paid just over 22K.

While a bigger car would be nice, I'll take the better mileage and more options anyday. Ha all I care about is that my golf clubs will fit in the trunk, I can fit comfortably in the driver seat, my girl is comfy is the passenger seat. Not to mention the 10 speaker Sony system sounds pretty great.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only problem I have, and I don't know if I can explain it well, is that Ford's service does not match the expectations it seems they are trying to set.

It seems to me (and this is just my opinion) that Ford is looking to compete at a higher level. Say, like lower level Audi or Volvo level cars, for lack of a better example.

The service they are supplying (at least that I have experienced) does not quite reflect this goal.

I can't say I am disapointed, but I am. I no that makes no sense. I guess what I am saying, is the service is what I think most people might expect from Ford, I think I just expected something more..

I think I just hate my dealership....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree......and I'm right there with you in hating my dealership. Mine has all brand new young salesmen- it was like a frat house in there, such a joke.

Luckily for them Ford made a great car so I wasn't turned away completely (it also didn't hurt being the end of the 2nd quarter, therefore making getting a better deal not quite as difficult).

As far as servicing the car I haven't had any experience yet. My IA key won't unlock at the driver's door (works on every door, naturally) so I need to bring the car in soon for that, so I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
The only problem I have, and I don't know if I can explain it well, is that Ford's service does not match the expectations it seems they are trying to set.

It seems to me (and this is just my opinion) that Ford is looking to compete at a higher level. Say, like lower level Audi or Volvo level cars, for lack of a better example.

The service they are supplying (at least that I have experienced) does not quite reflect this goal.

I can't say I am disapointed, but I am. I no that makes no sense. I guess what I am saying, is the service is what I think most people might expect from Ford, I think I just expected something more..

Your correct on one thing, it all depends on the dealer. Mine is great and I have bought a lot of new cars at different Ford dealers over the past 40 years. Some dealers were not so great.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, Ford has never been in the 'premium car' league, whatever car they churn out. Stands to reason because if they were, and the service was the same as Audi, you'd pay more for the car.
Chris

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Yeah I test drove Altima, Optima, Accord, and Cruze...........I actually liked all the cars (especially the Kia) but the Focus just had by far the best value.
I got mine fully loaded with everything but the parking and handling package and paid just over 22K.

While a bigger car would be nice, I'll take the better mileage and more options anyday. Ha all I care about is that my golf clubs will fit in the trunk, I can fit comfortably in the driver seat, my girl is comfy is the passenger seat. Not to mention the 10 speaker Sony system sounds pretty great.
Yeah, I got everything but winter pkg and parking. I liked a couple of the other similar cars I test drove but honestly there was just a solidness about the Focus. One car in particular that I drove was already out before I started it up because when I closed the door, it felt like it was going to come off in my hand.

Great note on the golf clubs. That was what actually made me go with the sedan over the hatch. Had to remove my driver (luckily I went to the dealership after playing a round in the morning and my sticks were in my car) and angle the bag in the hatch. In the sedan, they fit in the trunk fine without taking anything out of the bag.

·
Registered
215 Posts

I noticed the same thing. There seems to be a disconnect between Ford (corporate) and Ford (dealerships). When I started considering the Focus, I asked all my friends & coworkers about their experiences with the Ford dealerships around here. I did not get a single favorable recommendation, especially for service. After visiting a few, there is only one that I feel moderately good about.

I realize that dealerships aren't directly controlled by Ford, but I don't think a lot of others do. A person being treated badly at a dealership makes them think Ford is a bad company. It seems that Ford needs to get stricter with their dealerships to consistently match the direction they want the company to go (semi-premium, high-tech).

·
Registered
61 Posts

So wad that with a downpayment you got it for 22 or rebates?

·
Registered
234 Posts
A loaded TI is $27K or more, so the only way to get it for $22k is to work for ford or have a friend or family member who can get you the discount.

My x-plan price on a pretty loaded TI is about $25k or about $100 over invoice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have been eagerly awaiting the new 2012 Focus for about a year, once I heard the rest of the world focus was finally going to be sold in the US. The competition has nothing on this car. In fact the competition is moving towards the old bean counter production that ford used to practice. A prime example of this in the "new Jetta". Too bad for them and thank you ford!!

I deal with Porsche's on a daily basis so most of the new technology on the focus is the norm for me. But many may not realize that many of the engine and gearbox advancements are very similar to those that are found on 09' and up Porsches.....these video links will show you the similarities...Direct Fuel Injection, Getrag Powershift gearbox like the Porsche PDK, torque vectoring minus the differential. However, Porsche pales in comparison when you are talking about the My Ford Touch system. The porsche system is ok, IMHO but My Ford Touch has a much better interface.

The new ford focus is really amazing at the price point it's at!! Great job FORD, take it to the competition...[boxface]

·
Registered
533 Posts
I noticed the same thing. There seems to be a disconnect between Ford (corporate) and Ford (dealerships). When I started considering the Focus, I asked all my friends & coworkers about their experiences with the Ford dealerships around here. I did not get a single favorable recommendation, especially for service. After visiting a few, there is only one that I feel moderately good about.

I realize that dealerships aren't directly controlled by Ford, but I don't think a lot of others do. A person being treated badly at a dealership makes them think Ford is a bad company. It seems that Ford needs to get stricter with their dealerships to consistently match the direction they want the company to go (semi-premium, high-tech).
Hi, much the same with many dealerships here in the uk unfortunately. However my dealership is friendly enough and have given me 'freebies' recently on the grounds 'that I've spent enough there'. I've had disputes with them in the past however they seem much better now and they all know me on first name terms, plus they're only a five min walk away, which is a bonus.
Chris

·
Registered
411 Posts
Thanks for those links. It shows what I have in the Focus that I didn't understand exactly how it all worked.[thumb]

·
Registered
243 Posts
I had not owned a Ford in 30 years! But the Focus sold me and I have to say, so far I love it. I have had it just over 1 month and have about 1300 miles. So I have yet to see if I have any problems. I am seriously considering the extended warranty but am holding off for a bit before deciding.

As for my dealer, I lucked out. They have been great to work with!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A loaded TI is $27K or more, so the only way to get it for $22k is to work for ford or have a friend or family member who can get you the discount.

My x-plan price on a pretty loaded TI is about $25k or about $100 over invoice.
Yeah you are spot on- the MSRP was around $27,400 and fortunately I was able to access the "Z Plan Pricing" having a family member that used to work on the production line at Ford. With that discount, combined with being the end of the 2nd quarter, I was able to get the final sale price around $22,350. Pretty good deal I thought, especially for a brand new 2012 model.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Initially I was put off with the idea of springing 25 large on a car that is available in basic trim for under 19K. Then it occurs to me that it's no different than audi or BMW offering the same $45K saloon in Europe as a stripped down model with a tiny engine for 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I rode for an hour and a half in a 370z last night and still more in love with the focus and I only spent the time during the test drive. Although i want the dang Euro headlights!!! HID's/LED's are SWEEETTT!
I can't wait! Antsy as ever! [ohcrap]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts