Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i bought four 6 inch neons. i put 2 in the trunk and hid the transformer in with my spare tire and ran the hidden wire up to the driver side. I wired one under the dash by the driver side and passenger side, then wired it all together and to a switch and blah blah.... got it through the firewall and i have the wires directly on the battery. Long story short, When i turn the switch on, all of the neons come on except for the driver side neon. When i jiggle the wires or play with it a little, it comes on... but not always. Im not sure if its a wiring problem or if its just because the transformer is going.... I thought it was the wiring so i went over all of the wires and the connections are fine... the only bad thing is... im holding the spliced wires together by electrical tape...

All of the other ones work except for the driver side which is giving me a problem...

any ideas?

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
grounding problem? or maybe your transformer isn't powerful enough to control all those neons. you should use butt connecters to join the wires together and then electrical tape them.

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
did you only use 1 transformer and just extent the wires from that to the lights? if so thats your problem.. if not i duno possibly a grounding problem :-\ good luck

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zx360 said:
did you only use 1 transformer and just extent the wires from that to the lights? if so thats your problem.. if not i duno possibly a grounding problem :-\ good luck

no. the two in the trunk go to one transformer... then the passenger side dash has a transformer, and the driver side has a transformer.

im going to switch out the driver side transformer and see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
204 Posts
try using some kinda of connecter you can crimp down..see if that helps any..youll get better conductivity with it..at least thats my two cents

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
Nightm4re said:
no. the two in the trunk go to one transformer... then the passenger side dash has a transformer, and the driver side has a transformer.

im going to switch out the driver side transformer and see if thats the problem.
just checking... then im with everyone else.. check connections, you might wanna just solder the wires...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes.. i will say too. check your connections,, if you can't weld them just un-hook them and hook them backup and make sure they are contacting good.. then when using the electrical tape strech it will taping around so it will grip tighter...

keep us post it..

·
Registered
3 Posts
this is a really basic question but i'm extremely mechanically retarded...

if i want to attach the positive wire from and LED to the power wire for the headlights, which wire is it and is this the best way to do this (it's and LED shift knob)

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Roscoe said:
this is a really basic question but i'm extremely mechanically retarded...

if i want to attach the positive wire from and LED to the power wire for the headlights, which wire is it and is this the best way to do this (it's and LED shift knob)
welcome to FF.[:)]

If you pop out the driver side vent, or remove the panel under the steering column, you should see various wires connecting to the Headlamp/Foglamp switch. I am going on memory right so, So I recall it being a Orange, or orange/black wire...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok well i changed out the Transformer and it worked at first... i tried turning it on tonight and again... it didnt work. I checked ALL of the connections and they are PERFECT! The only thing i could think of is that the neon tube is bad.... im going to try to see if its any other problems like the wire that goes right into the tube but if it doesnt help then im returning it and getting another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts