Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im sure someone has doen this so how woul di hook up a neon light in my car so it turs on with my headlight switch?

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you look at the wiring harness coming out of the headlight switch (you will have to take the panel under the steering column out to get to it), you will find an orange/blue striped wire. Use a t-tap to make a parallel connection with this wire and the neons. Just be careful. If your neons pull a high amperage, you could melt the orange/blue wire and potentially that entire harness. Not sure what an acceptable amperage would be. I think the orange/blue wire is 14 or 16 gauge. Do a google to find out the highest amperage 14 or 16 gauge wire can take and compare it to the draw on the neons.

If the neons draw too much, pm me and I'll tell you how to make it work so the current doesn't pass through the headlight switch, but the headlight switch still controls your neons.

Hope this helps,

Nick

·
Registered
700 Posts
if u wire it up to the headlight switch, then the only way to turn it off is by turning off the headlights.

wat if u see the cop, then u turn it off. if then, he wont give u the ticket for the glow, but the ticket for no headlights at night =\

thats y i wired my l.e.d underglow to my switch

·
Registered
359 Posts
in that case, if you are dead set on using the headlight switch, wire it like I said before, and add a "cop" switch either in series between the headlight and neon, or neon and ground. seems like more work that way, but its really about what he wants to do with HIS car. There is always a way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
even though we do have strict rules ih cali for parts neon in the car hasnt been a problem for me in the past. i just dont like it plugged into my cigarrete lighter because that is where my radar detector is. are there any other things i can do?

·
Registered
700 Posts
hardwire them things. i tap all my stuff into my remote wire of my amp. i tap the radar detector, sirius radio, and the l.e.d underglow.

works for me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts