Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i was sitting around reading up on all the problems with boost and that stuff when i wondered...

Is there any negative effects long or short run, from a NA setup?

i know about the drivability going downafter a certain point, and the problems with hydrolock chances increaseing, but is there anything else?

thanks[thumb]

Mason

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
well the stock internals can only take so much hp, but other than that it all depends on how much you abuse it. F/I asks alot from an engine

·
Max8
2,858 Posts
Does not increase the value of the car even if you invest tons of money.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
With NA you won't run into many problems really. I wouldn't worry about it. It is MUCH safer than forced induction.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
yeah pretty much if you ever plan to sell it, keep all the stock stuff cause you won't get any value out of it....... and you can either sell your mods or use it on another focus if that's your plan [thumb]

Anyway, mods that just help the vehicle breath better shouldn't lower the engine's life (such as exhaust and intake, etc). Cold Air Intakes, which are positioned somewhere behind the front bumper are more susceptible to water ingestion, and of course hydrolocking....though your chances of actually doing that are very slim [:)]. with a short ram intake, chances are much less (like zero possibility, unless you decide to drive into a river) but warmer engine temps because it's so close.......

oh, and I suppose you'll get used to the new performance, so it won't be as exciting as it first was :B

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
how in the world does the chance of hydrolock increase if you mod your car n/a?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
well what kind of NA power are you looking towards? and ya hydrolocking is there no matter what kind of power you got. You could have 16 hp and still hydrolock the same as 200

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
how in the world does the chance of hydrolock increase if you mod your car n/a?
honhon, if you're referring to me, I only meant by the teeniest tiniest fraction of a decimal greater risk...... I mean obviously if you drive in a river with a CAI you're gonna ingest some water, as opposed to the stock box...... [hihi]

but then again if you're driving in a river, hydrolocking is probably the least of your problems :B

·
Registered
187 Posts
The only real negative effect is that your right foot likes to press harder, and work the engine harder.

And all this talk of driving in rivers.....you guys may want to take a look at this:
http://www.gibbstech.co.uk/aquada.php

·
Registered
79 Posts
Your gas mileage on a N/A setup will be lower than a boost setup. If you go N/A route you are going to have to get into the motor to keep up with a boosted stock motor.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the imput, i was just wondering about this...

After i max out N/A im hooking up nos!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts