Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i look up pictures of focus neg terminal they dont seem to show any extra wires coming off of it...but both my neg and pos caables have extra wires ....
wonder what these are for?

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
IDK, I'd just leave them on thou........

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes that is what it is!

Question is: how do i know if that is what i need to replace? Could be battery, negative cable or this sensor cable...

When i run a diagnostics from the dashboard it shows battery at 13.8 or 13.9 while engine running...does that tell me anything?

·
Registered
258 Posts
It's charging at that rate. I would turn on the fan, lights, defrost and then see what it shows running. Should be about the same if not more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's charging at that rate. I would turn on the fan, lights, defrost and then see what it shows running. Should be about the same if not more.
so basically that is telling me about hte state of my alternator, not battery?

·
Registered
13 Posts
so basically that is telling me about hte state of my alternator, not battery?
Correct. Will it let you run the diagnostics with key on/engine off? Any charger I've used stops charging when the battery hits around 13.6 VDC. Once charging is complete the battery will drain down a bit. As long as you get 12.4 on a cold battery you should be good to go but that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't at the end of its life cycle and won't quickly drain down under a load. After the car has been parked long enough for everything to get cold, grab a multi-meter and manually check the battery voltage and check it again in the morning before starting it up to see if there's any substantial drain while powered off. (Could be a parasitic drain or just a battery at the end of its life cycle.) Any auto parts store can also do a battery load test for you to see what kind of life it has left.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Negative battery cable and wire are 2 separate pieces and they are sold individually.

Part #'s for a 2014 Ford Focus
Wire part # WPT1396 Price: $40.89
Cable part # AV6Z10C679P Price: $42.81
All prices were at the local Ford dealer

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
NOPE....The computer uses this wire to monitor the battery...The Check Engine light will stay ON....It has to be connected and working properly...There is NO other choice..."IT HAS TO BE CONNECTED AND WORKING"

besides the check engine light what would happen?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hmm...it sounds like you are dying to try it.[8D]

I bought a replacement +ve cable from Ford and that came complete with the additional small gauge wire. If I recall it disappears down into a circuit board very close to the battery area. Anyway my plan was to splice the old and new light gauge together rather than pulling the board out in case something broke. Further anyway.....I didn't do either, I cleaned up the cable that was in the car, put a new battery in and it's been fine since. The original problem was heavy crusting of the +ve terminal and cable that was down to the battery being faulty.
I'd leave well alone, these cars are bad enough as it is without tempting fate.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep you are just opposed to receiving good advice aren't you.
I say that you should just go for whatever you think will make you satisfied. If you have any inclination that you would be better off without the wire being connected, then go for it.
My last post on this..Take it for all it's worth and run with your imagination.

Best of luck to you sir or madam.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks. That is just what i did.
but it is my stronf suspicion that this battery monitoring system is at fault for a variety of this cars problems includingn the stereo malfunctioning off and on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These folks say quite the opposite of what you said:
Battery monitoring reset - Page 2 - FORScan forum

They say the BMS diconnect does little or NOTHING to affect car performance.

So who is right here?
I would like to say I’ve replaced my stereo and have added extra battery’s to my car and the only way I was able to achieve a constant 14.4 or higher was unplugging that sensor been almost 2 years running like this haven’t had any check engine light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts