Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so looooong story short i've decided to use some new found money (tax refund FTW) to help drop a new motor in my car. I have the Spi motor so i really can't go downgraded any.. lol.

I'm looking for a duratec 2.0 or 2.3 (2.0 i know is more common so most likely easier to find) I'm curious how much it would be to get everything i need and have it installed. unless some nice SoCal member would like to assist me in the instal i'd rather have a shop do it (i just don't have enough experience) I would like ot rebuild the motor a little before install. new seals, gaskets, maybe a few aftermarket engine parts (roller rockers, nice exhaust/header, stuff like that) I was wondering if my tranny could stay.. if it'll match up or if i have to swap that as well.. i'm guessing i would .I'd like to stay auto but stick is a small possibility (my wife can't drive stick and seeing how it's the only 4 door we have with our little girl she drives it too.

anyways, me and my wife talked and we decided instead of getting a new 09 focus we'd rather replace the motor in ours (we like our body style, just not the motor or milage (motor again..) plus this way we won't have another car to pay on.

ok anyways begin with the prices (either what you know a place near you charges, how much your swap cost you, or even how much you know of a motor swapping ""kit"" (lol) is going for (all things needed)

·
Registered
39 Posts
ok so looooong story short i've decided to use some new found money (tax refund FTW) to help drop a new motor in my car. I have the Spi motor so i really can't go downgraded any.. lol.

I'm looking for a duratec 2.0 or 2.3 (2.0 i know is more common so most likely easier to find) I'm curious how much it would be to get everything i need and have it installed. unless some nice SoCal member would like to assist me in the instal i'd rather have a shop do it (i just don't have enough experience) I would like ot rebuild the motor a little before install. new seals, gaskets, maybe a few aftermarket engine parts (roller rockers, nice exhaust/header, stuff like that) I was wondering if my tranny could stay.. if it'll match up or if i have to swap that as well.. i'm guessing i would .I'd like to stay auto but stick is a small possibility (my wife can't drive stick and seeing how it's the only 4 door we have with our little girl she drives it too.

anyways, me and my wife talked and we decided instead of getting a new 09 focus we'd rather replace the motor in ours (we like our body style, just not the motor or milage (motor again..) plus this way we won't have another car to pay on.

ok anyways begin with the prices (either what you know a place near you charges, how much your swap cost you, or even how much you know of a motor swapping ""kit"" (lol) is going for (all things needed)
used zetec 2.0 with approximatly 40-60k miles , ur looking between 300-800$.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will the zetec swap out with the same tranny?

also the idea of just rebuilding mine and doing a few upgrades including a turbo.. which isn't a bad idea.. anyone know about the cost of that? (i need new piston rings for one.. i have blow by.)

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
will the zetec swap out with the same tranny?

also the idea of just rebuilding mine and doing a few upgrades including a turbo.. which isn't a bad idea.. anyone know about the cost of that? (i need new piston rings for one.. i have blow by.)
Yes the Zetec will swap with the same tranny.... as long as you currently have an auto, which I think I read you do. you can do a turbo on the SPI, but really plan on some custom work and fabrication (same thing, lol) cause the SPI's don't have any turbo kits available, and the internals are (not that they're weak) just not as strong...... though I can't say that for sure, cause someone said they gave nitrous and a few different turbos on the engine and it didn't fail......

to be honest though, I haven't found many (actually, any) performance/upgrade internal parts for the SPI, though I'm probably not looking in the right places, lol. In all honesty I really wanted to do the Duratec 2.3L swap into my car (maybe I still will) but now I've reverted back to the idea of putting an SVT into it, just cause I wouldn't have to pull the wiring from the whole car to make it compatible with all the 05 wiring harnesses and such. true, I won't make as much power with the SVT, but I think ~300hp with turbo is well good enough for me. [:)] just my point of view, so so far the SPI's been great [thumb]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts